How can we stop/reduce cheating?

11 hours ago, lee737 said:

There was a time when you could log more than one find on a cache, I suspect it was often done by mistake by newbies, sometimes not I suppose....

When phones were mediocre for this hobby, some weren't sure it "went through", and kept clicking that button.

Later, either they didn't notice that they logged the same cache six times, or figured if it took, leave it.     

But there were a lotta COs logging their own caches too, every time they did maintenance.  Those were definitely a "sometimes not". 

"Temp" caches, placed only for an event and removed would see someone "attending" events multiple times.   

Many of those would be found here in the forums, when a persons "distinct", or "unique" finds didn't match their total, and asked about it.   :)

- When it showed they were  (by this thread) "cheating", many started to hide their stats from view.    ;)

13 hours ago, The Jester said:

Also, some people would log multiple Finds on events with temp caches (before lab caches), one for each temp cache.

I remember when this was a thing.  An event page or something would have multiple logs from a single user for these temporary caches hidden just for the event, caches that weren't listed on the site.

At the same time, the statistics page of the profile would also state "X number of finds on Y number of different caches", something to that effect.  

• Funny 1
  • Helpful 1
21 hours ago, GeoElmo6000 said:

At the same time, the statistics page of the profile would also state "X number of finds on Y number of different caches", something to that effect.  

Yep, unique cache listings that are marked as found, vs number of Found It/Attended/Web Cam Photo Taken logs in the system.  Thankfully the former is more the general understanding today.

On 8/9/2021 at 1:29 AM, The Jester said:

Also, some people would log multiple Finds on events with temp caches (before lab caches), one for each temp cache.

This is a practice that never should have been allowed. 

Ditto the handful of events where the same event listing was recycled for years by repeatedly changing the date and updating the description rather than creating a new listing. (I think this was a Midwest thing?)