ANOTHER Bay Area Gathering

CourtneyP

Hi all,

StitchesOnQuilts (Shannah) has asked for my assistance in organizing another GeoPicnic for all of us.

What I need now is your opinions on South Bay Parks and Trails... oh, and if there are adequate amounts of caches within.

The Contenders:

Ed R. Levin County Park: Picnicking, fishing, playground, non-powered boats (no swimming), leashed dogs

Santa Teresa County Park : picnic area, dogs on leashes. No mt. bikes except on one trail.

Almaden Quicksilver County Park: picnic areas, dogs on leashes.

Penetencia County Park (part of Ed Levin?)

Uvas Canyon County Park: Picnic areas, campgrounds, dogs, fishing & non-powered boating (no swimming)

Anymore suggestions welcome! We don't know the area parks all that well... so, spill!

Uvas Canyon park is where we met up looking for the hiking stick FTF.

It's a nice park, the hiking is really steap and very wooded. It'll be rought for some to get a good gps signal for any kind of games. Really pretty though.

There are 4 or 5 caches already in the park.

george

Remember: Half the people you meet are below average.

All the above parks are really nice, Uvas is my favorite of the list. Although George is right about the GPS signal.

Quicksilver is also nice but its very steep trails and very hot in the summer, not alot of tree cover. And not very many Group picnic areas that I know of.

Santa Teresa Park would be a good place. Great Group Picnic area. Lots of open space and some good hiking trails, I just got a cache there this weekend, Was going for the second just outside the park but my poor puppy was just getting to Hot

Ed levin is a really nice park so far as I can tell, I've only been there a couple of times On my lunch break.

Here are a couple more Nice parks

Anderson Lake park

Vasona park

I cant get the links to work. but look them up.

I could lend a helping hand in this one if needed

Johnnyb

Vasona park... that's the same as Vasona Lake County Park, in Los Gatos, right? I noticed that it was the Citysearch Audience Pick for last year:

Best of Citysearch 2001: Best Parks.

Anderson Lake County Park-- is that where this cache is located? We visited that cache, but the name of the park escapes me now.

Uvas Canyon also sounds good... I haven't been there myself, but I've been curious about it ever since the cache with the walking stick was placed.

The only other park we've had firsthand experience with is Quicksilver... but that was for mountain biking, not picnicking or geocaching. (It's the site of my first "real" mtb experience... with bashed helmet and battle scars and everything. icon_wink.gif) Actually, does anyone know if there are any caches in that park? Because a while ago we were thinking of putting one in there.

Anyway, Andrew and I can probably come to the picnic, no matter which park it's in. It's going to be on a weekend again, right? Let us know if there's anything we can help with (organizing, etc.).

Colleen

Dralasites: biological, not geological.

Vasona park... that's the same as Vasona Lake County Park, in Los Gatos, right? I noticed that it was the Citysearch Audience Pick for last year:

Best of Citysearch 2001: Best Parks.

Anderson Lake County Park-- is that where this cache is located? We visited that cache, but the name of the park escapes me now.

Uvas Canyon also sounds good... I haven't been there myself, but I've been curious about it ever since the cache with the walking stick was placed.

The only other park we've had firsthand experience with is Quicksilver... but that was for mountain biking, not picnicking or geocaching. (It's the site of my first "real" mtb experience... with bashed helmet and battle scars and everything. icon_wink.gif) Actually, does anyone know if there are any caches in that park? Because a while ago we were thinking of putting one in there.

Anyway, Andrew and I can probably come to the picnic, no matter which park it's in. It's going to be on a weekend again, right? Let us know if there's anything we can help with (organizing, etc.).

Colleen

Dralasites: biological, not geological.

Vasona's looking pretty good... lots of stuff to do there, including a water park. I know of many caches along the Los Gatos Creek trail, but unsure about in the park itself. I'll gladly plant one if needed. icon_wink.gif

What we do need is help with games. Anyone have good ideas?

I think the date we're looking at is mid August. Tentative to change, of course.

--

CourtneyP

TeamGeek

Vasona's looking pretty good... lots of stuff to do there, including a water park. I know of many caches along the Los Gatos Creek trail, but unsure about in the park itself. I'll gladly plant one if needed. icon_wink.gif

What we do need is help with games. Anyone have good ideas?

I think the date we're looking at is mid August. Tentative to change, of course.

--

CourtneyP

TeamGeek

We're looking at late August, when there could be a chance of it being a little cooler...? Anyone have any constraints?

Can I ask anyone's assistance with organizing the games? I poked around the forums for more ideas. One, being geocaching bingo, and the other a geocaching poker game. I just need someone to facilitate the games at the picnic, I'll give you the rules and materials.

Thanks icon_smile.gif

--

CourtneyP

TeamGeek

We're looking at late August, when there could be a chance of it being a little cooler...? Anyone have any constraints?

Can I ask anyone's assistance with organizing the games? I poked around the forums for more ideas. One, being geocaching bingo, and the other a geocaching poker game. I just need someone to facilitate the games at the picnic, I'll give you the rules and materials.

Thanks icon_smile.gif

--

CourtneyP

TeamGeek

Hey guys, I'm meeting with Shannah tomorrow to check out Vasona for the gathering. I'll post more after we meet and discuss, Sunday evening.

We're still looking at late August, I'm sure.

Can I recruit anyone for help with the games? Please? icon_biggrin.gif

--

CourtneyP

TeamGeek

Hey guys, I'm meeting with Shannah tomorrow to check out Vasona for the gathering. I'll post more after we meet and discuss, Sunday evening.

We're still looking at late August, I'm sure.

Can I recruit anyone for help with the games? Please? icon_biggrin.gif

--

CourtneyP

TeamGeek

Hi Courtney, Pepper here I guess I could pitch in on this one too. I really just wanted to kick back and play, but if no one else volunteers(which I hope they do)I guess you can count on me. If ya'll need anything done that requires a sewing maching I'm your girl!

Pepper

Horizontals where it's at!

[This message was edited by SuperGenius on August 01, 2002 at 09:14 PM.]

Vasona park is excellent! We'd definitely come - I'm sure Kyle would love to meet some other little geo-cachers.

Alas, with an 8 month old we can't really sign up to help with the games: never know when he's gonna need feeding, changing, or being carried about on shoulders just to keep him quiet!

"See the Lake" cache is there, for sure. Contrary to what someone said, there isn't a water park there. Not sure where that idea came from. Unless it's some very, very new development, because I've been there within the past few months and there was no water park.

There is a train and carousel that run out of the adjoining Oak Meadow Park. And tons of grass to run around on and boats to rent.

The kids and I will be there. We'll bring stuff for a new cache if we'll be planting one.

Disappointed that Iron Chef and Kablooey will not be there, but then, I've met them before!

I will offer any help I can do; the schedule is rather busy but I'll do what I can.

Becky

More updates on the Vasona Park picnic. I'll be updating the cache page today with coordinates for the picnic spot. The coordinates at the top of the cache page are for the entry to the park.

There will be two temporary caches there placed by Team StitchesOnQuilts. I'll be handing out the coordinates to people as they arrive. If the consensus is that the placements are good ones, I'll turn them into permanent caches.

Shannah