Release Notes (Website: Upcoming retirement of the Event calendar) - July 12, 2021

Release Notes (Website: Upcoming retirement of the Event calendar) - July 12, 2021

In an effort to reduce the number of old duplicate pages on Geocaching.com, we are planning to retire the Event calendar page and its child pages on August 12, 2021.

Traffic to these pages has decreased significantly over the years as players opt to use more powerful tools like the new Search for Events or the Event widget on the new dashboard. The Guide to Hosting Events will move to the Help Center.

In addition to providing advance notice of this change, we are soliciting feedback on how you would like to see Events surfaced further on Geocaching.com.

For more background information about retirement of duplicate pages on Geocaching.com, please visit the Geocaching Blog.

Thank you!

Sven (Bl4ckH4wkGER) is watching this thread to answer questions whenever possible.

Any posts in this thread should relate to features in this release. Comments unrelated to the release may be removed. Please direct unrelated comments to other appropriate threads. Thanks!

1 hour ago, Lynx Humble said:

Please increase the range of events in the new dashboard to at least 200km. 100km is not enough for some events I attend.

Agreed - or even better, make the radius a user-configurable option in profile settings.  I attend events most often in two cities that are five hours driving time apart from one another.

• Upvote 4
8 hours ago, Lynx Humble said:

Please increase the range of events in the new dashboard to at least 200km. 100km is not enough for some events I attend.

6 hours ago, The Leprechauns said:

Agreed - or even better, make the radius a user-configurable option in profile settings.

Does this count as user-configurable? :D

Capture.PNG.5dcdfc0aeeef68703715bfa2f9107a6d.PNG

(If you Inspect Element, change the "value" of one of the <option>s to 200, ensure that the modified <option> is selected, and then press "Go", the change is persistent across refreshes.)

(I suspect that this might get fixed soon, now that I've pointed it out.)

(Oops)

(Hopefully they add an "proper" option to the settings.)

Edited by Hügh
  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 3
10 minutes ago, Geocaching HQ said:

You can find the new Help Center version of the Guide to Hosting Events here.

In section 3.1 of the Help Centre, it says:

image.png.e898657e649f5a706a3abf6cf6eb284a.png

When I click on the Find events near you link, it shows 28 results, all of which are over 12,000km from here. In what sense are those near to me?

image.png.257ed1cc8475f856cd9aa9eff3af2b06.png

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1

@barefootjeff

If you look closely you can see the  ^ next to Event Date in the Event Date column. That means that the search results you are looking at are sorted by date. So you see the Events in chronological order. Neither that Help Center link nor its resulting search results were touched by this release.

That said, I have updated the link to this one that should hopefully better reflect what you expect.

• Surprised 1
4 minutes ago, Bl4ckH4wkGER said:

@barefootjeff

If you look closely you can see the  ^ next to Event Date in the Event Date column. That means that the search results you are looking at are sorted by date. So you see the Events in chronological order. Neither that Help Center link nor its resulting search results were touched by this release.

That said, I have updated the link to this one that should hopefully better reflect what you expect.

Thanks, yes I realise it was sorting the events by Event Date, but in the range of dates it returned, which went from today through to early October, it only showed events near Seattle, not events near my home location. Weird. Anyway the new link seems to be doing the right thing, or at least the more expected thing.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

I loved the calendar. I moved to an area in NW Georgia where there seems to be no events within 100 miles? (except Going Caching once a year). I used the calendar to find gatherings for dinner gatherings in the North Metro Atlanta area to attend, a two hour drive for me. I could glance at the calendar and see events for GA and go to those days for more details.

I now live at least 30 minutes driving time from any town and there seems to be no Geocaching events going on up here in the sticks up on Lookout Mountain? No Geocachers either that I know of? There are lots of Geocaches up here because of the Crawford Pigeon Mountain WMA and most of those are mine. 

I’m sad the calendar has gone away because any searches for events starts from my current location (N 34° 36.6xx’ N85° 28.6xx’) a distance away from those events.

Take care & be safe.

• Upvote 1