need help with ISS SIghting

I am trying to set up an ISS Sighting for July 21, 22:29:32 75°, traveling NW to SE over OKC.

When I put in Denver CO for some other waymarkers and have Heavens Above show visible only passes, it doesn't show the pass. But, if I change it to ALL PASSES, it shows the pass at 21:27:44  72°.

Similar problem over Twin Falls, ID, 21:25:41  53°.

The ground tracks show the passes as visible. Do I have something set incorrectly, or am I reading this wrong? Can someone else check these passes out and see if they are OK for a sighting for me, please.

I always use HA set as visible only, but if this is a bug I will start checking all passes and make sure I don't miss any.

Edited by vulture1957
2 hours ago, vulture1957 said:

I am trying to set up an ISS Sighting for July 21, 22:29:32 75°, traveling NW to SE over OKC.

When I put in Denver CO for some other waymarkers and have Heavens Above show visible only passes, it doesn't show the pass. But, if I change it to ALL PASSES, it shows the pass at 21:27:44  72°.

Similar problem over Twin Falls, ID, 21:25:41  53°.

The ground tracks show the passes as visible. Do I have something set incorrectly, or am I reading this wrong? Can someone else check these passes out and see if they are OK for a sighting for me, please.

I always use HA set as visible only, but if this is a bug I will start checking all passes and make sure I don't miss any.

When you are on the visible passes for that date, click on the next page. That date is on two different pages.

• Upvote 1

I felt that this thread was the more appropriate place for an ISS issue I experienced for the first time. 8Nuts may be posting an explanation here.

So I don't know if it has any relevance or not but after daylight saving time, the pass I was going to watch with Texas and Florida with suddenly gone from the visible list. The data pretty much stayed the same except for now to find it I had to click on the All passes list. However on the All passes list for that pass it was listed as visible in the far right column. And because it was not listed in the visible list it had no magnitude. Are you following so far? 😁

I just wanted to post this cuz I had never experienced it myself before. I'm just so very glad we went out and looked and had a partner for tonight cuz it was a beautiful view!

Edited by Max and 99

I don't think Daylight savings time had anything to do with it. That was just coincidental.

The charts we look at are adjusted daily by the Powers That Be.

When a Pass time gets too close to daylight, it's removed  from the Visible Passes section that most of us accept as "written in stone" fact. It goes to the All Passes section. In the All Passes section it still shows as Visible. As adjustments are made the time gets closer to daylight until "visible" is removed, and "Daylight" is put in it's place. These passes are usually only partly visible. If you have your back to the brighter section of the sky, you can still watch for the Pass in the darker portion. It just won't appear as bright. That's why the "Brightness" column is blank in the All Passes.

I use the All Passes page to find a partner. I can find a Daylight pass that goes over me at nearly 90°. I can follow it across the Unites States and see what major cities are on that path. I continue to follow it into Canada and make note of cities. Then it crosses the Atlantic and passes over southwest France and northeast Spain, and the "toe" of Italy. I now have cities pin pointed that have 90° passes when I have 90° passes. I compare their visible passes with mine.

I now know France and Spain will have visible Passes at 2:00-4:00 am their time, when I have Passes at 9:00-11:00 pm my time. I have a list of cities along the Path to find willing Partners. These cities will always stay the same for every SW to NE pass over my home. A Pass to my North will end in Spain. A Pass to my South will be more France and Italy.

On 4/6/2022 at 12:43 AM, Max and 99 said:

Thanks for all the info, 8Nuts! You've given some  good information and some good suggestions for people looking for future passes. 

I think I have found the solution.

On April 6, in Edmond, OK., the sunset was at 19:56:xx

The ISS Pass was listed as Visible and reached Max height at 20:18:49, 67°.

The difference in time between Sunset and Max height was 22 minutes plus a few seconds.

After the sun sets, and just before the sun rises, there is a period of time called Twilight, or Dusk. Twilight is 22 minutes long for my area at this time of year. The length of Twilight is a variable. As you get farther North, Twilight will be longer. 

I suspect the ISS Pass chart considers the Twilight time as Daylight. We had an ISS Pass over Abilene, Texas tonight. Max Height was 16 minutes after Sunset. It was still listed as being in Daylight. My friend in Abilene said he did not see the ISS or any stars in the sky. He did see the Moon and said it appeared hazy like there was a thin layer of high clouds blurring the view.

Here is a web site to see the variable length of Twilight vs Latitude vs Time of Year:

https://stjerneskinn.com/for-how-long-does-the-twilight-last.htm

Anyone else going to watch the coverage of DART colliding into Dimorphos? So exciting!

Update: That was AMAZING!!! Travelling 471 million miles to get there, the autonomous navigation, and the photos showing the boulders on the asteroid and even the shadows.... just incredible!

Edited by Max and 99
  • Upvote 1
  • Love 2
On 9/26/2022 at 11:16 AM, Max and 99 said:

Anyone else going to watch the coverage of DART colliding into Dimorphos? So exciting!

Update: That was AMAZING!!! Travelling 471 million miles to get there, the autonomous navigation, and the photos showing the boulders on the asteroid and even the shadows.... just incredible!

I watched it live yesterday. Incredible to see the pictures right before impact! I saw DART launch last November from my house and now to see its mission complete is surreal.