Lego Cache

DharPartha

I am new to Geocaching but have young kids who are avid Lego enthusiasts. Anyone here has experience with owning/maintaining a Lego Cache ? I am planning a Lego geocache hide. Goal is to build a small puzzle box made out of Lego bricks and maybe some Lego technic pins. The log and a Lego mystery gift will be hidden inside the puzzle box. One has to solve the puzzle to open the box and access the goodies. Planning to hide the Lego puzzle box inside a camo-d water tight container. Few questions :
(1) Should it be listed as a Traditional Cache or a Mystery/Puzzle Cache ?
(2) Is there any way to tag it on the Cache page - not everyone is a Lego enthusiast or has patience solving a puzzle. Would not want the puzzle box to be smashed so some seeker could get to the goodies inside, without having to go through the trouble of puzzle solving.
(3) Concerned about the life span of a Lego puzzle box. As a CO, don't want the hassle of frequent cache maintenance just because some seekers damaged the contents.
Any inputs would be greatly appreciated.

• Upvote 1

1. this seems to differ from region to region

2. in this case, I'd publish it as a mystery, with an explanation in the description

3. Make it as simple/robust as possible, with generous helpings of ABS cement, and it should be tough enough..... make a spare while you make the first one though!

• Upvote 3

Similar to lee737, something that's made of plastic parts meant to come apart, I'd make it sorta easy to solve, and create a spare.   ;)

Sadly, every "gadget"/field puzzle I've found in some time had issues.  We feel it may be that "gotta get to the next one !" thing, or missing COs.

I remember seeing "how tos" on solving lego puzzles on youtube, and human nature says folks will look if it might help.

This is a hobby where "anyone can play", so if you put out a cache that is easily broken, maintenance is something to consider.

If gluing the pieces together, the winter and glued seams may pose an issue, but like anything else, trial and error.  Good luck.   :)

As the owner of several Gadget caches.

1.& 2.  I prefer Mystery Puzzle Cache but it varies from area to area.  I would put the words "Lego Gadget Cache" in the name of the Cache as this will let people know what they are getting into.

3. Be prepared to do lots of maintenance.  Having a second ready to place puzzle will help as will keeping it as easy as possible.

• Upvote 1

I think the best use of Lego in caches seems to be decorative. I've seen photos of various caches where the container was divided into a few sections, with a section for the log book, a section for swaps / trackables and then a sealed section with acrylic / plexiglass / glass protecting some elements that are there for display only. Those look good, and "should" last longer with less maintenance.

I feel that a container made of Lego, with a gadget element using Lego parts would be a great concept, but there are enough poor-impulse-control people involved in caching that would spoil or damage the cache.

But in concept, I love the idea!

43 minutes ago, Unit473L said:

I feel that a container made of Lego, with a gadget element using Lego parts would be a great concept, but there are enough poor-impulse-control people involved in caching that would spoil or damage the cache.   But in concept, I love the idea!

On 7/11/2021 at 3:19 PM, DharPartha said:

...Planning to hide the Lego puzzle box inside a camo-d water tight container. 

On 7/11/2021 at 9:19 PM, DharPartha said:

(2) Is there any way to tag it on the Cache page - not everyone is a Lego enthusiast or has patience solving a puzzle.

Please note that many cachers do not read the listing from a Traditional Cache. If you want, that Cachers read the listung, a Mystery  or Multi cache (if you create several stages) are the better solution. I like your cache idea, but only try it, if you are not very sad, if it doesn't work because

2 hours ago, Unit473L said:

... there are enough poor-impulse-control people involved in caching...

For The hermit's treasure   and  part two, I use several gadgets. In order to design and optimize some gadgets, I used lego technic bricks. But I only use lego for the Prototype, because I'm afraid that it's not industrial enough. To realize the gadgets I used parts built with Aluminum, brass, iron, stainless steel and stones. Three gadgets from that cache were originally 3-D printed, wich are simular stable like lego. Two parts without gears works fine. One part with gears was broken several times and I gave up and use a more industrial solution. I wish you success with your new cache. Greetings Johannis10

9 hours ago, Johannis10 said:

Please note that many cachers do not read the listing from a Traditional Cache. If you want, that Cachers read the listung, a Mystery  or Multi cache (if you create several stages) are the better solution.

Good advice - we're guilty ourselves of not reading trad descriptions much, maybe at all if the D/T is low.....