Garmin 76csx and loading Geocaches Frustrated!

I recently bought a second hand Garmin 76csx specifically to use for geocaching. I'm trying to figure out how to load geocaches on it. After downloading the Garmin Express and trying to "add this device", it tells me that Garmin does not support this device... Which Garmin device would I need to purchase in order to be able to download Geocaches to find from the site? Can someone steer me in the right direction regarding handheld GPS for geocaching?  Thanks

I do not believe the GPSMAP 76 series supports (modern) geocaching.

You will likely experience far less frustration with a newer more modern Garmin GPSr.

You can manually enter geocache coordinates into the 76 before navigating to them, which is how most Garmin GPSr of this generation were used.

4 hours ago, Cachingang said:

I recently bought a second hand Garmin 76csx specifically to use for geocaching. I'm trying to figure out how to load geocaches on it. After downloading the Garmin Express and trying to "add this device", it tells me that Garmin does not support this device... Which Garmin device would I need to purchase in order to be able to download Geocaches to find from the site? Can someone steer me in the right direction regarding handheld GPS for geocaching?  Thanks

Pretty-much any modern GPSr will work the way you'd like.  Do you have a modern sorta-smart phone for the app ?  It's just as "accurate"...

While you're deciding on the next play toy, it should be easy to look for caches on the website, and load coordinates manually in the meantime. 

I still load caches that way...

By using the website as a basic member, you also won't be restricted by terrain and difficulty like the app would do (nothing over D2 or T2), or miss out on caches other-than traditionals and events.  You still can't access premium member only caches, but can log them if the log's signed.

All you'd really need in addition is a pocket notepad for hints and extra info maybe needed, and always have a pen.  :)

On 7/9/2021 at 7:40 PM, Cachingang said:

Hello.  I believe EasyGPS plays well with the 76csx.  You will need to select it from the available models in he program and send your caches.  I am assuming you can run a pocket query to get the .gpx file you need.  If you haven't done that, then start there with the area you want to cache.  Load the .gpx file into Easygpx and send it up to the limit of your gps unit.  Older gps units have a few limitations, but should be fine for most geocaching. I've found hundreds of caches with that model.  Best of luck, PeoriaBill.

GPSBabel, a favorite of geocachers for almost 20 years, supports the C/Cs and CSx/Cx family.

It's true those models don't let you load cache pages but millions of caches were found before that was a thing. You'll spent some time fussing with drivers, but it's nowhere near the frustration of a serial era Garmin.

• Helpful 1