Explore your My Finds results with this Windows app!

Hi cachers!  

I'd like to introduce you to an application I wrote, which analyzes the results of your "my finds" query.  It runs on Windows (sorry, Mac people). You can find it here: https://github.com/mmendelson222/geocaching-fizzy 

The app allows you to "deep dive" into your finds, allowing you to filter them in new ways, and quickly view your logs.  I first worked on it 5 years ago, when I was motivated to write an application to tell me WHICH caches fulfilled specific d/t combos, or a particular calendar date.  

You get a d/t or calendar grid like the ones from Geocaching.com, but you can click on any grid square to see the caches represented by that square, with coord.info links etc. Filtering features mean that you can show a grid of ONLY the caches in one state, or of one cache type.

There are many things that this is great for, including old challenges - you can search for words in the cache title, the description, OR in your logs!   It's also easy to answer questions like "What does my d/t grid look like for New York?"  And of course, which caches satisfy that?  There's also a search by owner, a list of "avenged" caches, etc.  I recently added attribute filtering too!

For more info and installation instructions, go here: https://github.com/mmendelson222/geocaching-fizzy There's also a bug tracker if you encounter any issues. 

ALL of the source code is there for your inspection, if desired.  I welcome developer contributions. 

screenshot.png

Edited by mellow_cello
  • Upvote 2
  • Helpful 2

What could be good as well is tracking cache data changes. If you're working to qualify for a fizzy, for example, and one day you no longer qualify, it's awful to try to figure out which cache was changed and to where. But if you load the new PQ, if a listing's details change, tracking that would make issues like that much easier to track down.  Just a thought :)

ETA: To note, afaik gsak doesn't even offer that type of changelog to cache details. Though there may be a macro or feature someone created to do it, likely clunkily

Edited by thebruce0
On 7/9/2021 at 11:10 PM, mellow_cello said:

I'd like to introduce you to an application I wrote, which analyzes the results of your "my finds" query.  It runs on Windows (sorry, Mac people). You can find it here: https://github.com/mmendelson222/geocaching-fizzy 

Good work!

Thanks so much. Works great and is an interesting way to explore my history.

Nice to quickly view the content of my found logs.

What I would like to see is:

*) European and/or ISO date format (dd/mm/(yy)yy, yyyy-mm-dd)

*) also the name of the cache (and not only the CG-number) is displayed on that log window

*) no need to exactly hit the OK button to close the log window

4 hours ago, Z_Statman said:

Looks really helpful and tried as follows:

Generated the gpx out of GSAK that contains ALL finds regardless of type, i.e., geocaches, terracaches and opencaches so that could be the reason.

If so, would be great if could include this approach

Tks
Z

2021-07-29_0743.jpg

Two comments to that posting:

*) After installing, using and closing Fizzy.exe I also got this error message when I startet Fizzy.exe again. Since a reboot of my PC it works flawless

*) I also generated the gpx out of GSAK and learned that I need to restrict the logs to exclusively my own logs. Otherwise the program throws interesting results :P

6 hours ago, Hynz said:

Two comments to that posting:

*) After installing, using and closing Fizzy.exe I also got this error message when I startet Fizzy.exe again. Since a reboot of my PC it works flawless

*) I also generated the gpx out of GSAK and learned that I need to restrict the logs to exclusively my own logs. Otherwise the program throws interesting results :P

Tks Hynz but not clear as to point #2. In GSAK how did you limit the extract to your logs only?

Yup! 

But get the same Object error?

Will try your point 1 and reboot

After reboot, same error so something unique here.

I sent a test file (not limiting logs as you note) to Michael, the app author, who is also taking a look.

Will keep you posted

Edited by Z_Statman
Update
On 7/9/2021 at 2:10 PM, mellow_cello said:

I'd like to introduce you to an application I wrote, which analyzes the results of your "my finds" query.

I finally got around to playing with this one today. THANKS much for what you've created. I love the ease of seeing my logs which led to lots of memories as I perused the application. I can see this being lots of help researching qualifications for "old school" challenges.