Map of waymarker locations

OK, I admit it. I have too much time on my hands.

I was, once again, trying to find some ISS Sighting virgins to try to get to play. I got tired of going back and forth, looking up where folks waymark at (guessing that would be where they live). So, I went in and marked where folks had already posted a ISS Sighting, and then went to my old Forums postings welcoming new waymarkers. I looked up the new waymarkers and put a dot on my guess at their location. Wow, I can see where a whole bunch of us are at.

Map web address - https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?hl=en&mid=1R87HD0kXnED21L9pMNr1STXBVaxGSDiU&ll=35.19677836257868%2C-74.57435702868577&z=3

I don't want to hear about invading someone's privacy. I got this off Waymarking.com. These people posted the info, I am taking it that they WANT it to be seen.

Edited by vulture1957
  • Upvote 2
On 7/9/2021 at 11:27 AM, vulture1957 said:

OK, I admit it. I have too much time on my hands.

And I will be the first to agree, BUT it was certainly time well spent.

Lee, that must have taken much more time than I have EVER SPENT on a single Waymark, save for one notable one (notable only to me because of how much time it took to bring to fruition). So, you get a heap of kudos from me for all the time and effort you have obviously put forth to create that map. I've already bookmarked it.

BUT, as time passes, people will tend to move about, thereby somewhat muddying the waters, even yours. I see at least one (lemme go back and peek at the map one more time)... ... yes, just one, is now about 200 km. off. Not your fault, just that, as I said, people do move around. No, I'm not going to help you out and expose the inexactitude. After all, you, yourself, profess to have plenty of time to track it down. NB - the km. should be a BIG hint. :)

STILL, that's one helluva bit of work you've done there.

CONGRATULATIONS, Lee, for all you've put into that map, as well as for everything else you've contributed to Waymarking over the years!

Keith

Edited by ScroogieII
1 hour ago, ScroogieII said:

BUT, as time passes, people will tend to move about, thereby somewhat muddying the waters, even yours. I see at least one (lemme go back and peek at the map one more time)... ... yes, just one, is now about 200 km. off. Not your fault, just that, as I said, people do move around. No, I'm not going to help you out and expose the inexactitude. After all, you, yourself, profess to have plenty of time to track it down. NB - the km. should be a BIG hint. :)

As I said, this is a map of where I think people are, either from their profile (if they say where they are from) or from the waymarks they make. It's just to give me a hint of where currently active waymarkers might be located, so that I can see if they would be in the flight path of the ISS for a possible sighting.

Now, if I contact them and they say "No, we are now at XXXX" I'll change it. Or, if as FamilieFrohme has done, someone contacts me with their correct city, I'll update. Otherwise, it is my "best guess".There are a few waymarkers that I have no idea where they might be -- FamilieFrohme was one, WalksFarTX is another.

10 minutes ago, FamilieFrohne said:

Observation made by me for the user dvddragon: He stated "Skåne" as his home and you found a town of that name in Sweden in the region "Värmland", but most of his waymarks done are in the swedish REGION "Skåne". So the city of Helsingborg or Malmö would fit better.

ok, I'll change that

16 hours ago, The Snowdog said:

That is pretty interesting. Thanks for putting in all of that work for us. But Kansas sure is sad. No wonder I pick up so many "rare" categories in Wichita, there's no one there.

I don't get to Wichita too often - I'm usually going east to Missouri or over to Lawrence or Topeka.  There's still a ton of waymarks to be had in the KC area that haven't been taken yet...
It just makes it easier that there isn't a bunch of people fighting over the same ground, not sad...

Thanks, vulture, for putting in the work on that map - very interesting indeed!  :)

Edited by iconions
more info