Jump to content

AITA: Deleting Logs from prior to TB activation


mandymk86
Followers 1

Recommended Posts

Every TB I release, I dip it in my home cache (the one that is in my front yard). I then dropped a bug at large rest area cache and it was picked up pretty quickly. I love to keep an eye on my bugs as they travel, and the person who picked it up has been VERY active and dipping it frequently. I think noticed that they dipped the bug in 3-4 caches before my activation date (and even before I purchased the bug). Am I the a**hole for deleting the logs prior to my initial activation and dip? (I did message the person and let them know what I had done. I have not received a response yet).

Link to comment
1 hour ago, mandymk86 said:

Every TB I release, I dip it in my home cache (the one that is in my front yard). I then dropped a bug at large rest area cache and it was picked up pretty quickly. I love to keep an eye on my bugs as they travel, and the person who picked it up has been VERY active and dipping it frequently. I think noticed that they dipped the bug in 3-4 caches before my activation date (and even before I purchased the bug). Am I the a**hole for deleting the logs prior to my initial activation and dip? (I did message the person and let them know what I had done. I have not received a response yet).

 

I don't think so, but I don't know you personally. Is this a one-off ?    :D  

Dipped used to mean a trackable was Placed, then Retrieved from each cache.  You do that when you Drop/Retrieve to place in another cache.     

We have "Visit" logs (took it to) now that make it easier, so you had "Visit" logs created when your trackable wasn't even activated yet.

I'd probably delete those incorrect  logs too.  Odd thing that made no sense.  Maybe they'll tell you what the reasoning was some time.  :)

Link to comment
2 hours ago, mandymk86 said:

Every TB I release, I dip it in my home cache (the one that is in my front yard). I then dropped a bug at large rest area cache and it was picked up pretty quickly. I love to keep an eye on my bugs as they travel, and the person who picked it up has been VERY active and dipping it frequently. I think noticed that they dipped the bug in 3-4 caches before my activation date (and even before I purchased the bug). Am I the a**hole for deleting the logs prior to my initial activation and dip? (I did message the person and let them know what I had done. I have not received a response yet).

I think you did the right thing, but I'm curious to hear why they logged visits on the trackable before they even had it in their hands. 

Link to comment

If you change the date for one log does that carry over to the next TB you log?? This happens with cache logs, but does it happen with TB logs? It might have been inadvertent on their part if so.....

Link to comment
5 minutes ago, lee737 said:

If you change the date for one log does that carry over to the next TB you log?? This happens with cache logs, but does it happen with TB logs? It might have been inadvertent on their part if so.....

That's a good question! 

Link to comment

My initial thought was that the person had previously found some caches but had not logged them yet. When they logged them, they included the TB's in their inventory at the time of making the log, but the software does not run a check to see if a cache log is being backdated to before the TB was bought (an unnecessary action).

 

I concur, deleting "impossible" logs would be fine, as a finder would need to do some rather amazing mental gymnastics to justify those logs. It'll be interesting to see what they say, if they respond.

Link to comment
On 7/10/2021 at 6:48 PM, Unit473L said:

My initial thought was that the person had previously found some caches but had not logged them yet. When they logged them, they included the TB's in their inventory at the time of making the log, but the software does not run a check to see if a cache log is being backdated to before the TB was bought (an unnecessary action).

 

I concur, deleting "impossible" logs would be fine, as a finder would need to do some rather amazing mental gymnastics to justify those logs. It'll be interesting to see what they say, if they respond.

 

No response, as of yet. He's been VERY active after picking up the TB. It's traveled thousands of miles which has been really fun to see. I hope I don't deter him from continuing to dip it along the way. It was just the logs from December 2020-February 2021 that were weird to me (and put the starting point in Texas instead of Illinois).

Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Followers 1
×
×
  • Create New...