Channel 31 wants to do a Geocaching Story!

Guest kimbeattie

Guest kimbeattie

I have been contacted by Channel 31. Good Day Sacramento wants to do a story on Geocaching!

This is a live broadcast, so they are thinking of doing a three segments: The first segment would be at my home, where we show the Geocaching.com website and select one or two caches to "hunt" for. The next two segments would cover the cache hunts themselves. The first segment would run during the 7:00 AM hour and the additional segments following at about 1 hour intervals.

There are a couple of issues. The biggest problem is that the TV camera is tethered to the TV van by a cable. About 300' long. So that limits how far away from a parking location the cache can be.

Secondly, I am concerned that if we go to a current cache, all of the attention of a camera crew walking around in trees and peering under bushes will draw unwanted attention the cache which might later be plundered or looted.

So, the idea we are considering is to plant a couple of special "Channel 31" caches. These would be easy to access and within 300 feet of a parking area. To avoid this being a complete "setup", I could plant a cache and someone else could then hunt for it (Live on TV!) and vice versa maybe.

So . . . I'm looking for comments and suggestions. Got any thoughts on good places for caches that meet the above parameters? Any others issues I should be considering?

Channel 31 has said I can include a couple of other persons in the project. I'm sure we could easily come up with a "Geocaching mob" icon_smile.gif, but for reasons of time and organizational constraints, I think the group should be limited to two or three persons. Anyone interested in helping out?

I'm supposed to give them a call back in a day or so. Right now the schedule looks like this story would happen sometime in the first half of August, depending on how quickly we can set things up.

I'm sure that many of you will be interested in helping out. I wish we could include everybody, but that's simply not practical. It might be good for the Geocaching "image" if we could include a family with small children. Others can help out with the creation and placement of caches too. What I'm trying to say is I expect many of you to volunteer to help out and I'll only be able to pick one or two of you. If you volunteer and I don't pick you, please don't take it personally. I won't pick based on first come, first served. I'd like to see who's interested before I pick . . . and what everyone thinks of the idea.

Okay, long message and I've probably managed to alienate everyone by now, but I have one last request . . .

I'd like to get back to Channel 31 no later than say Wednesday, so if you've got a comment or suggestion to make, you've got today and tomorrow to make them.

Okay, let's see what you all have to say!

Guest McIrish

I have an idea for a location. In Rocklin where techtrecker put her first cache, (No Stickers in my Socks" there are van accessible roads in the nature area. (Springview Johnson Park) It would probably take permission from Rocklin Parks and recreation, but I don't see that as a big issue. I would love to help in planting the cache, however I will be gone all next week in Hawaii, so if they plan on doing it next week, I am out. Let me know if I can do anything to help.

[This message has been edited by McIrish (edited 23 July 2001).]

Guest techtreker

It is fine with me if you want to use "No Stickers in My Socks" for the news story. It would not be a problem with me to archive it afterward if necessary. Due to the location of this cache I really don't think it will have along life prior to being discovered by a non-geocacher anyway.

Anyway this cache or a new Channel 31 cache; I would be glad to help you.

Guest Ron Streeter

This will be a great chance for you to overcome that shyness you've mentioned several times !

Look forward to seeing the stories.

Ron

Kimbo,

I'll be glad to help. I often go cache hunting with the kids and Jen. And the 2 caches I've placed so far are within 300 feet from a parking area :-).

Email me if you wanna talk about it.

Jose

Guest The 19th

How far is the van willing to go offroad? icon_wink.gif

It's amazing how much Geocaching has grown with just a bit of media. I mean, many in this current crop of 'cachers were hooked by the Bee Article... I wonder how many more get involved with the 31 TV spot.

From reading Kim's posts, I have never thought of him being shy. Maybe this is his foot-in-the-door to a life in "The Biz".

quote:
Originally posted by Ron Streeter:

Hey Kim....congrats ! This will be a great chance for you to overcome that shyness you've mentioned several times !

Look forward to seeing the stories.

Ron

ROFLMAO!!

Anything I can do for you Kimbo I will! You have my email icon_smile.gif

------------------

~~Smiles~~

Mav

Guest kimbeattie

I think we've got things pretty much figured out now. Dusty has offered up Kitchen Cache as one of the caches to be used. It's close enough to parking that it will work. I think I'd like to see the cache relocated after the show simply because it's one of the first theme caches in Sacramento.

For the second cache, I'm thinking Sculpture Park or Veteran's Memorial Park would be good locations for the "Channel 31" cache. Both locations have cache-able spots near the parking area.

I've got a call into Channel 31 and expect a call-back tomorrow (the 27th). I assume at that time we will finalize a date.

I'll post an update here as soon as I have any further information.

Guest kimbeattie

Currently next wednesday, August 8th is the date of the show. Right now it looks like there will be three segments (all times approximate of course):

7:45 - Show the website and select the caches to find.

8:45 - Find the first cache.

9:45 - Find the second cache.

Each segment will last about three minutes, I'm told, so I'm not sure how well the "feeling" of geocaching will come across. We'll just try to do our best!

Guest The 19th

quote:
Originally posted by kimbeattie:

Currently next wednesday, August 8th is the date of the show.

Eek! I must find Kitchen Cache before it becomes mass public knowledge! icon_biggrin.gif

Guest Omniflux

What's the chance of getting online clips of the segments covering Geocaching?

Some of us don't get Good Day Sacramento (or Good anything anywhere, for that matter icon_wink.gif)

Guest kimbeattie

I will be taping the show (and I hope others will too), so we'll have a tape. Then it's just a matter of getting the segments on Geocaching transferred to disk. It's something I want to do, but I'm not sure how long it will take. If and when I've got something to download, I'll make an annoucement here.

I have the means to transfer video tape to .avi or .mpg and I'll gladly do so. BTW, watched the first segment this morning and it was cool... a bit hurried, but pretty good. Didn't tape it because Channel 31 reception SUCKS where I live.

Guest kimbeattie

It was fun, and I think it went pretty well. The segments were a little rushed, but "they" wanted to do it live, which is different from the other TV spots I've seen where they tape the search and edit the footage for airplay.

Jose: I've got a tape! Can you transfer just the Geocaching segments? Maybe I can hand the tape off to you on Friday night? icon_smile.gif

Mav: You're welcome! Thanks again for volunteering to step into the spotlight! I'm much more comfortable in the background. LOL!

Dusty: Kitchen Cache was perfect. Looks very much in the "wildnerness" during the TV segments. Who would guess Greenback Lane is only 400 feet away? icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Jose:

LOL... Sorry, Mav... blame it on Kimbo! He was the one who chose the chache ;-)

Oh sure- pass the blame- Kimbo said it was YOU LOLOLOLOL!!

Patiently waiting my next middle-of-the night game...

------------------

~~Smiles~~

Mav

Mav,

It's coming up this weekend... Jen and I will finish it tomorrow and do a night walkthru to make sure it's OK... I'll post on Friday... it'll be cool... and scarier!

quote:

Mav,

It's coming up this weekend... Jen and I will finish it tomorrow and do a night walkthru to make sure it's OK... I'll post on Friday... it'll be cool... and scarier!

Sounds great- as soon as you submit it post it on the Sacto board if you will- even before it is approved! (Nah I am not a GEOCACHING ADDICT...-see related topic under the General Geocaching Questions- it's a funny funny list!)

------------------

~~Smiles~~

Mav

Guest kimbeattie

The cache container was Jose's creation. It was my idea to use it for the Good Day Sacramento cache. Jose should be held completely blameless. He was just helping me out. icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by kimbeattie:

Jose: I've got a tape! Can you transfer just the Geocaching segments? Maybe I can hand the tape off to you on Friday night? icon_smile.gif

Kimbo,

I'll gladly create .avi files from the Geocaching segments.

Jose

Guest The 19th

hehehe! Where are the segments? If you don't have them converted or webspace to put them, I can do both! (I just need the tape of course).

I'm kind of bummed that I was at work when it aired and didn't see it.

------------------

Lawrence Rillera

Elk Grove, CA

19th,

I was going to turn them into .avi files, but the PC that had the equipment for it is broken and I'm waiting for it to be repaired. If you have the means, I'll hand you the tape.

Jose

Guest The 19th

quote:

I was going to turn them into .avi files, but the PC that had the equipment for it is broken and I'm waiting for it to be repaired. If you have the means, I'll hand you the tape.

Great! I would be happy to do this for everyone! icon_biggrin.gif (plus, I'll get to experiment in this area some more!)

------------------

Lawrence Rillera

Elk Grove, CA

Updated: Of course, when I said "experiment," I meant "in the realm of multimedia." (Just so we're all on the same page)

[This message has been edited by The 19th (edited 28 August 2001).]

Guest Bob_and_Genny

Well, I experimented last night and transferred all three segments from tape to mpeg2 files. The quality sucks (the tape seemed find when played back to the TV). They're 50 - 60Mbytes each.

I tried making .avi's but ran out of diskspace half way through the first segment.

I'd be happy to share them but my web hosting doesn't give me that much space (maybe one at a time). I can burn them to a CD and send a copy to someone that does have enough space.

I know. I could burn some copies and place them in caches icon_smile.gif