NGS Office Contact Info

frex3wv

Greetings all:

I haven't been on in a long while - but hope everyone is well.

Question:  Does anyone know/have the name and number/email address for the person we contact at the NGS to report finds or ask questions?

The reason I am asking is I know of an old school getting ready to be torn down (with a benchmark disk from 1933 in the concrete stairs leading into the main entrance of the school) and am trying to see if the Gov't will agree to let the town keep it and place it in a town museum.

Any help would be appreciated!  Best wishes.

David 

NGS won't give anybody permission to keep a disk, but nobody will come after someone for keeping a disk that is destroyed by the building being torn down or other non-vandalism reasons. It happens all the time.

It would be great if a local surveyor could do a RESET to preserve an elevation reference.  NGS has no funding to do such work.

On 7/6/2021 at 8:36 AM, frex3wv said:

Greetings all:

I haven't been on in a long while - but hope everyone is well.

Question:  Does anyone know/have the name and number/email address for the person we contact at the NGS to report finds or ask questions?

The reason I am asking is I know of an old school getting ready to be torn down (with a benchmark disk from 1933 in the concrete stairs leading into the main entrance of the school) and am trying to see if the Gov't will agree to let the town keep it and place it in a town museum.

Any help would be appreciated!  Best wishes.

David 

I am sure they will..You just need to contact the NGS advisor for your state. https://geodesy.noaa.gov/ADVISORS/