Would I need to still get permission to place a cache in this case and how to word the description?

RockstarMom

I hope this is in the right forum, I didn't see one specifically for hiding caches, if I missed it I hope a moderator will move this or I can delete and repost.

I live in a small town next to the "county line rd" that divides two very large counties. I am building my own cache right now so I was looking around for any type of rules and regulations for geocaching specific to my area. Low and behold these two country bumpkin county conservation districts both have things up about geocaching and their guidelines. While they both allow and encourage it, one gives the info to ask to place a cache but the other county gives their guidelines but says to just go ahead and place them and reserve the right to remove them if there is an issue.

If I were to place a cache in the second county, should I just send the link that gives permission to the reviewer? Or do they require a name and number and verbal permission no matter what?

Then in the description on the cache page should I say something like "placed following the geocaching guidelines by such and such county" and give a link? or is that necessary?

Personally, I like seeing that someone got permission or that it is okay'd somewhere on the page but I may be an oddball and it might be overkill.  It makes me feel a little less odd when I'm on my hands and knees crawling around in the bushes.  Or the time I didn't wear waterproof shoes and decided to hang off the side of a trail bridge to try and get a cache that was underneath of a bridge while my daughter sat on my feet. haha! We got busted by a couple walking the trail but before I could get up, the husband said " are you geocaching too?"

Thanks for any advice in advance, I am trying to check all the boxes and cover all the required bases.

1 hour ago, RockstarMom said:

If I were to place a cache in the second county, should I just send the link that gives permission to the reviewer? Or do they require a name and number and verbal permission no matter what?

Then in the description on the cache page should I say something like "placed following the geocaching guidelines by such and such county" and give a link? or is that necessary?

I'd be willing to bet that by now your Reviewer knows which county needs what.   If you didn't give enough info, you'll know.   :)

These days, a "thanks to (so an' so) for letting us hide here" gives others notice that you supposedly got permission.

- The fact that you followed guidelines,  I think I'd leave out of a description...

• Upvote 1

Thank you, that makes sense.

I did see that page but there was only 1 reviewer listed there so I wasn't sure if people from other areas chip in and help out or just not every reviewer is listed.. some of the links aren't active and I found some information not listed on there. I will go back to that page and figure out how to report those things.

Thank you

IMO if you got explicit permission it should be noted on the cache page, regardless of whether the land manager requires including such text. Yes, you can inform the Reviewer in a Reviewer Note, but having that information publicly on the cache page reassures and informs seekers. Just a simple sentence at the end of the description suchas "Placed with permission of John Smith, Anytown Parks & Rec."

• Upvote 1
20 hours ago, JL_HSTRE said:

IMO if you got explicit permission it should be noted on the cache page, regardless of whether the land manager requires including such text. Yes, you can inform the Reviewer in a Reviewer Note, but having that information publicly on the cache page reassures and informs seekers. Just a simple sentence at the end of the description suchas "Placed with permission of John Smith, Anytown Parks & Rec."

It also serves to remind COs looking to place caches in the same area that permission is still a thing to be considered.

Combats "Frisbee Rules." 

• Upvote 2
23 hours ago, JL_HSTRE said:

Yes, I've done that in the description of my caches that are placed within national parks where explicit permission is required, but I don't name the person who gave the permission (in my case the Regional Director), firstly because the actual person responsible is likely to change over time and also, in this case, the Director isn't approachable from the public, instead the application has to go through the park's Ranger who does the groundwork before passing it up the chain to the Director for signing and stamping. Bureaucracy at its best! So I just say something like "The cache is located inside Brisbane Water National Park and is hidden with permission" and also include a link to the national parks' Geocaching Policy webpage so anyone wanting to follow suit can easily find where to start the process.

• Helpful 3