Question about pictures in listing

Wilfriedvp

I think to upload a Image you allways change from the html editor to the WYSIWYG editor, or?

The WYSIWYG editor does not support all html tags/styles. Always if you change from html to WYSIWYG View some styles goes lost.

If you don't change the View, the style will bee still there after saving. 

• Upvote 1
On 6/27/2021 at 8:35 PM, Wilfriedvp said:

When i put a picture in a listing of my new cache;

every time a make a change of my cache, the properties of the picture are gone....

I have to put every time the height, width etc ......

(sorry for the english, i speak dutch)

I echo the above - it is so frustrating. Having uploaded the photos in WYSIWYG mode and then done all the related formatting (size, alignment, border, etc) and having saved everything as a complete cache page as formatted, then whenever you go back in to change anything on the cache page and Save & View, the photo formatting is all gone. You then have to redo all the photo formatting and Save/View again - when the formatting is retained - until the next time you have to go in and edit something - then the formatting is lost again! It makes the whole experience very tedious & annoying!

I don't use the Geocaching page editor. Instead, I use an online HTML editor to create my cache page including adding images. With regard to images, I upload them to the cache page then I right-click the image and select "Copy image address" or similar. I then add the image URL into the online editor. When I'm happy with the page content, I press the "Source" button in the online editor then copy all the HTML code into the appropriate spot on the cache edit page. make sure the cache edit page "Source" button is green. Formatting for everything always stays the same.

This is the online editor I use in it's maximised form (4-arrow button):

https://www.html.am/html-editors/online-html-editor.cfm

On 7/7/2021 at 1:56 AM, SawaSawa said:

I echo the above - it is so frustrating. Having uploaded the photos in WYSIWYG mode and then done all the related formatting (size, alignment, border, etc) and having saved everything as a complete cache page as formatted, then whenever you go back in to change anything on the cache page and Save & View, the photo formatting is all gone. You then have to redo all the photo formatting and Save/View again - when the formatting is retained - until the next time you have to go in and edit something - then the formatting is lost again! It makes the whole experience very tedious & annoying!

Since this thread relates to what I was about to ask, I would like to ask it here too.

I created a cache and on the official app, the in-text photo I uploaded is distorted - it was a 2:1 ratio of width:length, now it is far more tall than wide. Basically, it looks like the width got compressed, and the height increased to compensate. (Note: on my computer, on phone web-view, and on one of those non-official apps, the image is fine; only viewing using the official app has this effect.)

At the same time, the background image I uploaded - on the PC version - is not centered properly  and wraps around so that the left side of the image repeats and the right side hardly seen at all. (The coolness of the background image is lost; I'm considering deleting it.) Once again, I suspect the culprit is how the image width (and length) is handled.

So my question is this:

What is the optimal width for images uploaded to cache pages ?

First, for those images inside the description?

Second for background images so they are centered and do not wrap around horizontally?

Edited by mysterion604
41 minutes ago, mysterion604 said:

So my question is this:

What is the optimal width for images uploaded to cache pages ?

First, for those images inside the description?

Second for background images so they are centered and do not wrap around horizontally?

On the website, any images wider than 670 pixels will be scaled down, with the magnifying glass button added in the bottom right corner. I don't know how that relates to any image scaling in the app, though.

As for background images, I don't think you can easily centre them. The leftmost tile starts at the left edge of the window and its position relative to the centre depends on how wide the browser window is.

With the not-so-new-anymore editor my rules are simple: Double-click on the image and set its size either to a width of 670 or 672, whether or not yoy want to implement the tiny magnifier. It has to be done everytime the page is edited and submitted. Otherwise big images will appear with their original size and then visibly be scaled down.

Then on the link tab of the image I always set the target to "New window: blank". Then the image gets its nice popup-window without interfering with the listing itself.

As for the background images, make it small like a stamp, then mirror it and copy the mirrored images on one edge, then mirror it again over the other edge (horz and vert).  The final size is fourtimes of the original stamp, but will prevent any visible sewing. It usually requires some thinking and tweaking. The results are worth it.

14 hours ago, longW said:

With the not-so-new-anymore editor my rules are simple: Double-click on the image and set its size either to a width of 670 or 672, whether or not yoy want to implement the tiny magnifier. It has to be done everytime the page is edited and submitted. Otherwise big images will appear with their original size and then visibly be scaled down.

When the page is edited in the WSYSIWYG editor, the image properties are lost.

After setting up an image as you like it on a page, select "Source" before saving it.  Then you can make a minor text edit later without re-doing the images.

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1