CA. Geocoin?

Bob&TheGang

I wouldn't hold my breath on TPTB letting us track on geocaching.com. I was following one thread where one early personal coin was allowed to track on the site, but is being phased out because of the work it entails.

Too bad I think. It's kind of nice to get those little gold coins on the profile. That would be the one drawback with having an offsite tracking system.

Are we likely to see these things before Christmas?

Actually, I'd like to see these competitively sell for around $5 (or even less depending on a full accounting of the finances required), with a miniscule amount of profit going to help support the gc site, and an equally miniscule amount to go to me (or whoever else is willing to take over complete administration of the project) to help recover expenses and time spent on creating the new cageocoins website. There are so many costs involved outside the coins (domain, hosting, paypal fees, shipping supplies, etc.) that some fair profit will have to be generated. Coin dies don't last forever. Plus, a small amount of profit COULD induce TPTB into making the necessary changes.

Let's learn a lesson from the dot-bombs -- 'profit' equals 'keeping the doors open'. Personally, I'd like to see the CA Geocoins be an ongoing feature, not just a single, one-off run. 'Course, that's why my forum title is Chief Executive Geocacher! icon_wink.gif

And that's my two cents...

WOW! GeoRocks (on your latest post with the Bear & the Coordinates)! Personally, the coordinates fit in well - I really like it. Yes, I do agree with you that the way point flag might need a little sprucing up. I could definitely see me going for that design.

As for selling the coin for about $5 (making a little profit), I totally understand all GeoRocks's reasons for going that route. It would be great if this coin be be more readily available then just a one time offer. Though if we go with the for profit route (even though is only a little) it does make the process more complicated and the process longer to to get the coin minted - Groundspeak even admitted as such. Though looking at your web site, you obviously have a lot of experience in this area.

Again, SUPER design!

You guys are doing a really great job. I was against the coordinates for the geo center until mention of a cache based off of the monument was made, then I thought it was a great idea. Although I'm getting Canejo Valley Geocachers coins made, I will want California coins for out of state caches!

When in trouble, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Georocks design...well... Rocks. Really nice presentation too icon_biggrin.gif

The profit motive is well taken, but if you make them much more than $5.00 I think the only ones buying them will be rabid cachers like myself. After all, we're not mounting these things on the wall at home icon_wink.gif

Another question for TPTB. Could they add links to the various sites that offer these coins? I've stumbled on these things only by reading the forums. More exposure would help sell these things, and probably help to enhance the sport.

A few of you have asked "why put Eureka on the coin" and similar questions. I am not sure if you all are aware that "Eureka!" is the state motto. "Eureka!" means "I have found it!" and refers to the discovery of gold. It also ties in with geocaching which would make it an interesting thing to put on the coins.

I personally am not crazy about those coordinates being put on the coin. I think a nice simple design would do nicely.

-------------------------------------

Becky Davis

Geocaching blog

San Jose, CA

Final (yeah right) comments from me. I would like one design, at least to start with . . . hum, thinking as I type, there could be various designs with the year stamped on them - Mainly though, let's get one done/manufactured/sold and see how it goes. If demand is high then supply can decide what comes next. As to central coordinates - I still feel without is best. (GeoROCKS! - can you do your design in Corel Draw? -What did you create your designs in? - Look back at some of my earlier comments which I edited yesterday.)

ErnieModesto

Well since it's out in the open. Money. I'm surprised there aren't more people taking part in this thread given the size of the state and how many cachers you have. If you get a good number of people to buy coins then price will drop. We ordered 700 coins and it cost everyone $2 for a non-numbered coin and $2.25 for a numbered one. But yes it takes someone to take the time to collect money and only order for those who prepaid. And then add shipping costs to the people that want their coins mailed to them. And it doesn't have to be a one time thing. Once the die is made it just takes some people to want more, a call to Groundspeak for approval to make more and place an order. And they would be cheaper the second time around because there is no die cost. Then you have to get someone to front the web space and server traffic. If you would like, the person that did the cogeo.org tracking for me is putting together a price to track other people's coins for a small fee. I could get you in touch with him since it's already set-up.

Long story short, to do it not for profit people have to volunteer their time and resources to this. If you're doing it for profit to pay someone for these resourses, $5 seems a little high.

By the way I think the new designs are pretty cool. If they don't cost $5 a pop I'll buy some. Plus think, if you pay $5 a coin how often are you going to part with them? If you can keep the cost down you'll see more of them out there.

---Real men cache in shorts.

The for-profit aspect is to ensure that all expenses are covered. Technically, I'm probably still referring to a more non-profit route, but the profits will be used to cover ALL expenses, not just the cost of coin manufacturing and distribution. My pricing pricing strategy is to add up all foreseeable costs and divide by a reasonable number of manufactured coins, adding somewhere between a 5% to 15% markup to cover unforeseeable costs (coins lost in mail, damages, defects, etc.) I might even factor in a licensing cost to Groundspeak if it could ensure basic benefits. And, heck, if the 5% to 15% is never used, then it can pay me for the design and programming costs. From Groundspeak's perspective this would still be non-profit, as the goal is to produce and sell as many coins as possible without running out of funds to continue production at a later time.

I want the price of the coin to be as low as possible, just like everyone else. If the costs work out so that I can charge only $3.50, then I'll do so. However, I'd sacrifice a bit on the side of additional cost to get the design tooled the way we all eventually decide.

I'll even volunteer in advance that I'll post a cost analysis publicly so that everyone can see that profits, if any, are small. Would anyone object that if all costs added up to, say, $3.00 that the coin would be priced at $3.50? Or cost = $4.25 to price = $4.95? I doubt it, not when someone looks at the time and effort invested. For example, I've already prepaid $129.00 for the domain name, web hosting and setup for the next 12 months.

The ball is rolling, folks!! Who else is getting excited about seeing these coins?!

quote:
I'd like to see the CA Geocoins be an ongoing feature, not just a single, one-off run.

The more the merrier - California is a big state with lots of geocachers/potential buyers. I'm salivating like Pavlov's dog. As someone else asked; done in time for Christmas? Has anyone thought of the vote/contacting other California threads. Maybe we should ask Ahnold his opinion?

ErnieModesto

To answer some of the questions/comments I've seen: I designed the coin using PhotoShop; I envision an annual coin, almost becoming a collectible (the year is stamped on the Groundspeak side of the coin and is therefore not necessary on 'our' side); I didn't like the coordinates either, but they're growing on me a bit as it identifies a unique area of California unrelated to something manmade, i.e. a landmark or an ephemeral cache; I don't want to involve websites from other regions to do our own tracking (unless it's the gc site); $5 MAY be (and hopefully is) high, but unknown yet; goal is to keep cost as low as possible; haven't seen any other ca coin threads; anyone have any more designs? (today is the artificially last day to submit!!); yes, I'd like to see something done before Christmas...

I guess I've been kinda taking this over. Have I upset anyone because of this?

quote:
Originally posted by GeoROCKS!:

I guess I've been kinda taking this over. Have I upset anyone because of this?

Not me personally, but you really should talk with Bobkat92 personally. He got the ball rolling on this and is sort of his baby although we are all on board.

I know us Silicon Valley Types tend to jump in and run with things, even when we shouldn't (i.e. prepaying for the domain to track these). I know there was some discussions about somebody else already offering to do the tracking for free.

I'd like to see the costs as low as possible as well and I'm sure there are ways to keep it down. If the Oregon coins only ran $2.25 numbered then there's no reason that we should be anywhere near double that.

I agree that coins around $5.00 a pop are going to move much slower. I'm not opposed to anybody being compensated for their time, but let's explore the existing alternatives before adding in costs.

GeoRocks! I hope you take no offense in what I've posted.

Hey GeoRock, did you get my email?

I would like to see one more design from the suggestion I emailed you. I really think GeoRocks is our person to design this thing.

As for the cost, I do agree keeping the cost down is very important. An ideal target cost would be $3 per coin.

In response to Kealia comment, I have no problem with other GeoCachers stepping up on this project. I have 0 art skills and only very basic web page design skills. I really appreciate all the help that has been done.

If we want to get this out by Christmas the we need to send a final design JPEG file to Press Metal within a week.

So far I have received email orders for about 70 coins. Posting this information on other threads is a good idea. I responded to a post on the general forum about geecoins. I mentioned the California geocoins. Since then, I have recieved an email preorder from Rhode Island & Texas.

- Bobkat92 & the 3 Bears

"To me, Geocaching is the thrill of the hunt and going to neat places (you might not go otherwise); it's NOT what you actually find in a cache."

I can't remember if this has been discussed yet or not. But is the payment options going to be check, MO, credit card, Paypal?

Paypal would be easy for me, although I know not everyone loves that site because of the fees.

I don't know how expensive it would be to run a grocery cart type of system, but it's probably not cheap.

MO and checks seem so 20th century to me icon_wink.gif

Thanks for everyone's input. I going to stick true to my word and end the design submissions as of today (10/1/03).

SO THIS THREAD IS NOW CLOSED!

The tweaks on the final design will be done via attached emails over the next couple of day. Hopefully by the end of the weekend (Oct. 5th), I will start a new thread and post 3 or 4 of the final designs to get people's feedback (but only for a day or two).

Then I will send the final design off to Press Metal to get an exact price quote. With any luck, I will know the exact cost to get his Geocoin minted by no later then Oct. 10th.

In the mean time, still send out the word to people to email me preorders for this Geocoin.

My email address is: BobKat92@AOL.Com

Subject: CA. Geocoin Order (please use those exact words)

Full Name

Full mailing address

Number of coins wanted

My $0.03:

1. Lose the coordinates.

2. Have them tracked on GC.com

3. Keep the price as low as possible. At $5 each, I'd probably buy 1 and keep it. If I found any in the wild I'd probably add it to my collection. At $2, I'd buy several and send them out in the wild, and move any I find.

Hemlock

Geocaching.com Volunteer Approver

quote:
Originally posted by Hemlock:

2. Have them tracked on GC.com

I probably won't buy any if they aren't tracked on GC.com, but I'd probably buy 10 or 20, even at $5 each, if they are.

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

I recognize that THIS THREAD WAS CLOSED by the creator, but I want everyone to know that discussions are continuing (briefly off-line) to work on the final design, to create the lowest pricing possible, to track the coins on the gc site, and to deal with the licensing issues with TPTB. The conversations are currently off-line in order to speed the process up as quickly as possible in order to acheive December delivery.

Our desire is to get this Geocoins tracked on GS. I have put in a request to do so. I just heard back from GS them and they said I will get an answer about tracking by this Friday (10/3).

MountainBike was the last person granted to get their geocoin tracked on GS. Since then, GS has gotten 100's of such requests and they had to stop doing it. Since our Geocoin is not a personal signature item, there is a chance we will be allowed to do it. However, I think our chances are relatively slim.

I would like to thank everyone for all their design suggestions. Though like I have said in previous posts, we can't make every happy when to comes to design aspects (or listen to every suggestions or this thread would just go on and on). That is the main reason I set a deadline and "Closed This Thread"

The final designs (2 or 3 of them) will be posted hopefully by this Sunday (Oct. 5th). The "controversial" CA. Center coordinates will be on all the final designs.

When these final designs are posted, we will ask people to choose their favorite one. However, I don't want people to make more design suggestions or like I said before, this thread will drag on and on.

It time to get this California Geocoin minted!

quote:
Originally posted by Bobkat92 & the 3 Bears:

The final designs (2 or 3 of them) will be posted hopefully by this Sunday (Oct. 5th). The _"controversial"_ CA. Center coordinates will be on all the final designs.

Why?

I believe this should be one of the desicions we all make. I know that you want them and to me it seems that is one reason why they are being included in all designs.

Since it is so controversial it should go up for a vote. It can be it's own vote, Yes coords or No coords. Then decide on which design.

I may be lost but I know exactly where I am.

quote:
Originally posted by Hemlock:

quote:
Originally posted by Kealia:

(...salivating like Pavlov's dog......)

That's a mental image I didn't need bad_boy_a.gif

Yes, especially given Kealia's avatar.. bad_boy_a.gif

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

quote:

I just heard back from GS them and they said I will get an answer about tracking by this Friday (10/3).

Time's up. Answer please.

quote:

It time to get this California Geocoin minted!

Here, Here. And it will be just fine - anyway it works out. As long as it can be affordable to all the cachers. [Remembering - some people can't afford $30/year to support my habbit].

Bill of Green Achers

''All my life, I always wanted to be somebody. Now I see that I should have been more specific.''

--Lily Tomlin

We have yet to hear back from Groundspeak about tracking (though they did say we would by 10/3). Hopefully we will hear something by Monday.

I know people want to see this thing moving (and get this GeoCoin out by Christmas). I still think that is very doable, but this tracking at GS could be a big thing (that could change some of the wording on the GeoCoin).

As for the price, let's see what Press Metal says about the minting cost (before we speculate any further about what this GeoCoin will cost and the ideal price people will want to pay).

I had a very nice phone conversation today with Bryan R. from Groundspeak today. First off, Groundspeak has decided not to let us track this geocoin on their site. They feel that individual travel bugs are enough and they don't want too many things being tracked. I totally respect their decision. I will pursue the coin being tracked on another site (I already have had a two offers for people willing to do it for free).

Bryan & I also shared some interesting information on the process of this design thread (particularly in the last week). The end result means there will be some changes in who will make the final design.

**If you want the dirty low down on all this, you can ask me via email**.

Don't worry, over the weekend, with the help of my good geocaching friend (and one other person), we have come up with a revamped design that is totally original, but still has all the features that people liked from previous designs (e.g., Eureka).

This Geocoin design is returning back to a grassroots geocoin. I will be taking the lead role in getting this geocoin minted & distributed. I have had several offers from people offering to help in that process (and willing to do it with no strings attached). I will likely be calling on those people for their help. Bryan & I agree that this geocoin will be sold with no one making a profit (meaning the cost of the coin will only be for what is costs to mint & ship it - not a penny more). I explained the design to Bryan and he has tentatively approved it. I will be sending him a jpeg file via email. He will be send ME the contract to sign so we can use the Groundspeak logo. Bryan will also call Press Metal to give them the OK for the logo.

Like the Dillon Gang said, please be patient. People are going to love the final design. I guarantee you that there is no other Geocoin like it. We are no more then 2 or 3 days away from posting the final design (hopefully sooner). Why the delay, you ask? Well, we need to get an OK for something. When I do things, I do it on the up and up.

**when I write like this, I bet it makes you really want to email me to get the low down**

Even with these unforeseen design complications, I still think we are on track for a Christmas distribution. That means even if I have to drive north dress in Santa suite on Christmas Eve to Kealia's house to deliver his geocoins.

quote:

That means even if I have to drive north dress in Santa suite on Christmas Eve to Kealia's house to deliver his geocoins.

Good, 'cuz nobody wants to see this at Christmas:

133007_1200.jpg

Thanks for the informative update.

quote:

_**If you want the dirty low down on all this, you can ask me via email_**.

I got the dirty lowdown already and, whoah, is it interesting. Thanks for sticking with this and pursuing it with Bryan at Groundspeak.

quote:
Even with these unforeseen design complications, I still think we are on track for a Christmas distribution. That means even if I have to drive north dress in Santa suite on Christmas Eve to Kealia's house to deliver his geocoins.

Hey, can you drop some by my way on the way? icon_biggrin.gif I don't live too far from Kealia...

Hehehe...

-------------------------------------

Becky Davis

Geocaching blog

San Jose, CA

quote:
Originally posted by Kealia:

Good, 'cuz nobody wants to see this at Christmas:

133007_1200.jpg

Oh, My, God! I'm ruined. Keep that thing away from me.

Now, about that Dirty Lowdown...

Bill of Green Achers

''All my life, I always wanted to be somebody. Now I see that I should have been more specific.''

--Lily Tomlin

Well, Here it is, is the long awaited final California Geocoin design.

NOTE: This is the same image as the Dillon Gang's link below. I finally figured out how to post an image.

131653_1200.jpg

I would like to make a really special thanks to Steve from the Dillon Gang who did all the work on the final design and was very patient with my many edit requests (I must have made him do 10 revisions in the past week). I would also like to thank Modesto. It was his initial design that really got this thing rolling. He was also the one who had the idea of using EUREKA, which I think really makes this Geocoin special. A special thanks goes out to Honeychile (a very talented computer graphics artist from North Carolina) for letting us use her Geocaching family graphic (F.Y.I.: she makes awesome custom Geocaching buttons (check her site out at: www.bumblebuttons.com). Thanks also goes out to Nurse Dave for all his consulting advice he gave me to move this project forward.. I also appreciate the active thread replies from Kealia, Green Achers, Touchstone, and TheWidget. Their posts, in a round about sort of way, helped design this Geocoin. Let us even give a little kudos to GeoRocks in this whole design project.

And thanks to everyone else who participated in this design thread. Our goal, when we started this whole thing, was to have a Grassroots project to celebrate Geocaching in California - a Geocoin created by the average Geocacher and be made economically affordable to everyone. Even though we did not all agree on every design aspect, I think our goal was achieved.

I have sent off the jpeg file to Press Metal. I will hope to post an exact price quote by Oct. 15th, then I will officially start taking orders.

In the mean time, please continue to email me (bobkat92@AOL.Com) your pre-order requests (I will need your full name, mailing address, & approximate number Geocoins wanted). Please do not email me if you have done so already. Once the exact price is set, I will then send out specific ordering information, via email, to everyone who emailed me about wanting to order this Geocoin.

- Bobkat92

p.s., The version that the Dillon Gang posted in NOT embossed (that is why it does not quite look like it will when the geocoin is minted). The area that is currently black on the jpeg post will be slightly raised and frosted on the minted Geocoin (there will not be any black color on the actual minted Geocoin).

[This message was edited by Bobkat92 & the 3 Bears on October 12, 2003 at 07:18 AM.]

[This message was edited by Bobkat92 & the 3 Bears on October 12, 2003 at 07:28 AM.]

Totally Awesome icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks for the hard work Bobkat and Dillon. The coin looks great. Can't wait to get mine.

Didn't hear any more word on tracking. Did that part get straightened out in the end?

Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them. The rest go geocaching.

As we await the final pricing quote from Pressed Metal, I am gearing up the plan to distribute this California Geocoin.

In an effort to cut down the cost & time on the individual shipping orders, I am thinking of a plan to set up distribution caches in major population areas around the state. The general plan would be for certain voluteers to set up a distribution cache in their area. I would send them the geocoins for the people in their area. On a certain date, each distributor would camp out at their caches for a few hours handing out the Geocoins. Then the cache would become a permanent cache site. Anyone picking up their geocoins up at a distribution cache would not be charged any shipping fee. This idea would target people who live within 30 miles of these population areas. This distribution cache site idea will not work for everyone (I already have orders from Texas & Rhode Island), but is an inexpensive and fun way to get a lot geocoins distributed. Maybe it can be set up that the people picking up their geocoins have to leave a trade item for the new cache.

NOTE: Picking up your geocoins at a distribution cache site will be strictly optional. If a person wants their geocoins shipped to their house, it will just cost that person more.

So, I am looking for volenteers to host these distribution caches site. I am not sure about the date (as we don’t know about the cost yet), but I am hope to target a Saturday in mid December .

Below are the areas I am needing volunteers to set up distribution caches:

- Redding

- Sacramento

- San Francisco/Oakland

- Santa Cruz/San Jose (Touchstone & Kealia said they would be willing to do this area)

- Fresno

- Bakersfield

- Los Angelas

- El Centro

- San Diego (I will be setting up a site there)

- If an area is not listed, but you want to do a distribution cache site there, ask me (though we would need a fair amount of geocoin orders from a certain area to make it worth while to set up distribution cache).

quote:
Originally posted by ErnieModesto:

_tozainamboku_ was the first one to suggest Eureka (I looked back on page one of this thread) I put it in all of my various designs and variations. Anyway, it looks great! I am glad that we have a final design.

ErnieModesto

Actually, looking back at my post, the credit should go to Green Achers who suggested the state seal for the back of the coin. I just pointed out that the state motto which appears on the state seal would be appropriate for geocaching. Anyway, I hear they are changing the state motto to "I'll be back" icon_wink.gif

東西南北

Why do I always find it in the last place I look?