What am I doing wrong here? (Urwigo builder)

Delta68

1 minute ago, capoaira said:

oh my explanation was bad, sorry

For using zones, variables, ... in lua Code you have to Set the identifier. If this is "automatic" urwigo give the zone a random name...

Yay!
Setting 'Identifier" to 'targetzone' as well fixed it!

Thanks

6 hours ago, capoaira said:

urwigo give the zone a random name

Wait, so you can't give zones a specific name, like "lobby" or "church"? Doesn't that get confusing? Or am I missing something? Apologies if I'm barking down the wrong river, I saw the post and had flashbacks to my old programming classes and the importance of good variable names for code documentation.

The Name is the displayed Name. You can use the spaces or special chars. The identifier is for programming so you cannot use chars like a space.

If you don't give an identifier, URWIGO has to use an random identifier for the source code.

Edited by capoaira
On 6/23/2021 at 9:17 PM, Unit473L said:

Wait, so you can't give zones a specific name, like "lobby" or "church"? Doesn't that get confusing? Or am I missing something? Apologies if I'm barking down the wrong river, I saw the post and had flashbacks to my old programming classes and the importance of good variable names for code documentation.

I suspect it's to make it harder for the code to be read if it is decompiled. :)

On 6/25/2021 at 2:20 AM, Delta68 said:

I suspect it's to make it harder for the code to be read if it is decompiled. :)

I believe that is the case.  A little deterrent is fine.  After all, no one can prevent the easiest method of circumvention: word of mouth sharing of the final location.  So, instead, I advocate for making cartridges an enjoyable, not overlong experience, so people who do skip the cartridge are only depriving themselves of the best part.

A neater way of doing it is:

add a value to your function and use that as your object -

function test(val)
   return val.Name
end

your lua user expression then should be -

test (self)

That way you do not need to name the object, and the code is then reusable across all objects.

This is K1CKAHA posting on my old family account