Arizona Caches

Guest azmark

Ok AZ fans, looks like Utah is getting a bit more excited that we are. But we have the caches to prove we are the better group!

Lets start some discussion. How about the worse cache you have visited? OK,,,everyone likes best,,,so if you want best and worse.

AZMark

Guest WrongWay

Best cache ? They've all been fun. So I guess I will pick the first one, Lone Mountain. The instant we located the cache and my daughter realized that I in fact was not "nuts" makes it the best so far.

Worst cache ? For sure the first one, Lone Mountain, Doh ! SNAFU'd the coord's and got totally turned around in the dark...got mugged by the local "street gang" of urban cattle...it's all fun and games until you step in a cow pie...

Who's keeping track of our neighbors ?

I've got - AZ 48 UT 31 - but the weekend is on the horizon...

[This message has been edited by WrongWay (edited 03-01-2001).]

Guest bob_renner

Best cache? So far I liked the multi-stage caches like Where is the Dam Cache and Rat's Nest. They provide a little more detective work and thinking rather that goto xyz and dig.

Worst cache? None. Although hiking 5 miles round trip with serious elevation gain and then not finding the actual container is a bummer. But I enjoy getting out and hiking and seeing the scenery so even that one was enjoyable.

Bob Renner

ps. AZ 48 - second state in total number of caches, but that may change with 100+ temps.

[This message has been edited by bob_renner (edited 03-02-2001).]

[This message has been edited by bob_renner (edited 03-02-2001).]

Guest AZMark

Was just looking to get a little action going on the boards here. We can always get out to the rim country or Mt. Lemon or such when the weather heats up.

Thanks Bob on the Dam Cache cudo! My favorite has been the Lake Plesant Cache, Great hike, very secluded trail.

Worse (even tho a great hike and location) has been the #$%&^$%^@#$ McDowell Cache, think it took me 4 attempts to find that sucker, but you know it was a good hike if I kept going back.

AZMark

Guest Krepism

It looks like we are starting to creep up on you guys. You only had 2 new caches we had 5. A couple of more weeks and we will unseat you from the number 2 slot.

On the other hand I think we are starting to get more hiders than seekers??? I think we will be the only state with problem!

Guest Krepism

or people in the valley (of the sun) In Utah, i only have to walk outside to find a tree and its green!! And you cant call a catus a tree! All of our water is spring feed, you guys have to buy your water from us. 15 minutes and I can Skiing in the snow or water (late spring of course). You know all this talk about how bad AZ is, makes me miss Tempe, I think Ill move back....

Guest Ron Streeter

Hope you AZ and UT folks will forgive a lowly Californian (transplanted from KS) stepping into your territory.

I will be coming to Phoenix (Sedona, etc) for a week starting the 13th of March and will be anxious to try whatever you have in the way of trails and caches. Plan to search for a couple and place a couple.

As to the competition between your two states, the new features being added by Jeremy this weekend should be interesting. If I understand correctly, they will show the caches per state, caches hidden by individuals, found by individuals...all the stats that some of us love to see. Then you two states can bow in deference to California which currently has over 100 sites...57 of which are in my "backyard" !

Looking for a fun time in the sun in AZ !

Guest WrongWay

Yeah, that Grand Canyon, what an eye sore, and don't even get me started on the red rocks of Sedona.

The Superstitions are nice. They're so beautiful you can't help but lose yourself in them. Proven several times a year...I think mostly by tenderfoots from UT. :0)

What's the count ?

Guest AZMark

You don't know AZ to well if you think it's all sand and rocks!

20 min N of town into the Tonto National Forrest. Cave Creek Hike. No cache there (yet) but more trees and water and wildflowers than you can shake a stick at. The change from the desert climate and back so quickly (even changing again to pine forrests up north) give AZ such diversity that is very tough to match.

And for the CA guy, Get a clue. Try the statistic cache per general population. You will loose to most every state. And if we could figure that one out I'm sure the UT folks would be #1 there.

Guest Ron Streeter

This is in response to that "AZ guy" (AKA AZMARK).

I assume you're talking about "per capita", that is the number of caches per 1000 people in the population. Now THERE'S A CLUE !

I think Jeremy is working on some new features this weekend that will break down some of the things we are talking about here.

By the way, all of my comments (I think) about your state were positive. The fact that I am coming there for a week to spend money, go hiking and cache hunting looks at the "half full glass", not the "half empty glass".

Each state has its own special offerings and when people are uncomfortable with what their state has to offer, they move ! That's why I left Kansas...only 3 caches there !

Guest WrongWay

Hello AZ,

There has been a lot of discussion about asking permission before placing caches, and it appears that it would be the logical thing to do.

What have you guys been doing ?

I've placed a couple and it didn't even occurr to me to ask permission. Now I'm starting to wonder if this might cause a problem with the parks / Game and Fish.

Do you think it would be a good idea to go back and let them know what's going on ?

Any comment ? Good, Bad ?

Or is this a case of "it's easier to ask forgiveness than permission".

Has anyone actually spoke with the AZ authorities about this activity ?

I guess I'm trying to prevent a bad situation before it starts. I could see that if we just keep placing caches without the parks/Game and Fish knowledge they very well could shut us down.

regards,

Jim

Guest AZMark

Hey it just might be my 15 min of fame if I'm the first arrested for geocaching. If I were over the parks areas, I would tell a geocacher, NO WAY! It is there job to keep the environment as pristine as possible.

But if they get after geocachers before taking a look at Off Road 4x4's, campers with no respect for the environment, people defacing ancient ruins, then they are vastly putting their efforts in the wrong direction.

We do have an impact on the environment, but I would hope that....

a. we are way far down the list on the impact scale.

b. geocachers are thoughtful enough to place responsible caches, and while hiking clean up after others so we leave the wilderness better than we found it.

Guest WrongWay

This is "our" competition...It's our duty as GeoCachers of AZ to defend our 2nd place honor. Just so happens UT was closest.

Besides, they started it...

If NY does surpass AZ I guess we could claim the "per capita" rule like CA.

Jim

Guest Krepism

Hey, its your UT nemisis here!! But instead of "egging" you on, I come to bow my head and ask of you a favor icon_frown.gif I am coming to your neck of the woods and wanted to know if any of you had a map showing the area caches. Some thing that showed where each one is, so i can get an idea of which ones I can do in a half day or so. I dont really do urban. I was looking through all the lists but it so hard to tell where each one is in retrospect to each other. I likes the sound of T824 Table Mase, but it looks like I would not have allot of time for that. My parents live in the lakes (Tempe) so I was hoping for some around Canyon lake or Sahuaro Lake, maybe with some lite 4x4 action (Im lazy) Any help you might give would be rewarded with a new cache (very challenging cache placement)

Thank you in advance

Guest Krepism

Hey, its your UT nemisis here!! But instead of "egging" you on, I come to bow my head and ask of you a favor icon_frown.gif I am coming to your neck of the woods and wanted to know if any of you had a map showing the area caches. Some thing that showed where each one is, so i can get an idea of which ones I can do in a half day or so. I dont really do urban. I was looking through all the lists but it so hard to tell where each one is in retrospect to each other. I likes the sound of T824 Table Mase, but it looks like I would not have allot of time for that. My parents live in the lakes (Tempe) so I was hoping for some around Canyon lake or Sahuaro Lake, maybe with some lite 4x4 action (Im lazy) Any help you might give would be rewarded with a new cache (very challenging cache placement)

Thank you in advance

Guest bob_renner

Jeremy has created a geocaching map with clickable links to each of the caches. It's stil beta so you may have problems, but check it out at

http://www.geocaching.com/cache/maps.asp?state=3&submit2=GO

There are several in the Superstitions and the area around there.

Check out GC57, GCED, GC3C3, GC2C9, GC261, GC262, GC17F, GC41E, GC1A3. Those are all in the east valley and into the Supers.

In the NE valley - GC1B8, GC298, GC10E, GC141, GC200. These are all somewhat remote. There are also several that are in town but there're on some of the mountians in the North Mountain Preserve.

There's also 2 multi-stage caches which are worthwhile - GC2AC and GC1D3.

If you plan on doing the T824 Table Mesa cache, please read all the description and logs CAREFULLY. It's a nice area and also a confluence, but it is remote. Let me know if you have any more questions about it.

Hope this helps.

Bob

Guest AZMark

Cool Visitors!

I'll be heading up to the Las Vegas area next weekend. So I think that this is going to be the next wave of interest in geocaching. And I think a good reason for a rating system on the caches. Would hate for someone to come in from out of state and visit a couple of the ones here in AZ and think that was what we had to offer.

I've only been to one in the Superstitions, the Heirogliphic Canyon, highly reccomended, but is a two mile plus hike. Lots in that area, or the North Phoenix area.

The beta maps will be a great addition once J. gets them going.

Cache ON!

Guest Krepism

Thank you!! I knew you guys could not be all bad. I have decided to go with "dead car", "cone mountian" and Senda de Tonto if I have time. Hopefully one of those will have traveler in it, pleeeease! I will try and bring a travler if possible. I will be heading out to hunt early sunday, so maybe I will run into someone.

Guest bob_renner

quote:
Originally posted by Krepism:

Hopefully one of those will have traveler in it, pleeeease!

I'm checking on the whereabouts of Mr. Potato Head. He started out in Cone Mountain, went to Box Canyon, and has been hitchhiking with Senorfrisk since then. Some of his travels are shown at

http://www.snaptek.com/geocaching

I'll let you know if I find out anything.

By the way, you're going to be doing some driving to go to those three. But it should be great weather this weekend.

Bob

[This message has been edited by bob_renner (edited 03-16-2001).]

Guest dobreforgotpassword

I've hidden 2 easy urban caches, planning on doing a hard one in S. Mountain and another at Lost Dutchman park. I have a great place for a placement at ASU, its in a site that is completely surrounded by office windows, so lots of eyes would be on you! Problem is, I have to find a container big enough to hold stuff, yet small enough to hide.

Gonna be in Reno next week, gonna try to find some caches there.....Any AZ freepers up for a happy hour?

Guest bob_renner

quote:
Originally posted by dobreforgotpassword:

.....Any AZ freepers up for a happy hour?

Sure, however I'm going to be backpacking in the Grand Canyon this weekend until Tuesday. Maybe next Fri or Sat.

How about N33° 38.410' W112° 7.280'. They have an outside area and great scenery.

Bob

Guest WrongWay

quote:
Originally posted by dobreforgotpassword:

.....Any AZ freepers up for a happy hour?

Great idea,

Bob, is that a kid friendly lat/lon ? I'd like to bring my navigator(daughter) along.

freeper...yup !

[This message has been edited by WrongWay (edited 03-16-2001).]

Guest bob_renner

quote:
Originally posted by WrongWay:

Great idea,

Bob, is that a kid friendly lat/lon ? I'd like to bring my navigator(daughter) along.

Depends upon your definition of kid friendly. It's categorized under Yahoo as

Business and Economy > Shopping and Services > Food and Drink > Dining > Family > and they classify themselves as "Delightfully tacky, yet unrefined", a "neighborhood restaurant", and "the place to go for families".

Bob

Guest Krepism

So... After this weekend Utah has jumped up to 49 and AZ has just 53!! Closing the gap. I guess I will have to come down there and place one, just to get you moving again. Although I see it is going to be 90 degrees next week! I dont suppose any one will that active.

Did anyone notice that NY passed us both!

Guest Ron Streeter

Hey AZ cachers ! I visited your fair state for a week and found two caches ! If the rest are as good as Coyote Cache #1 and Box Canyon, you are great cachers ! I also placed a couple of caches ! I will be publishing them in the next day or so. My friend and I really enjoyed touring up from Phoenix through Wickenberg (sp?) and Jerome then on to Sedona and down through the Payson area. Hope to see some of you folks in California again (as in the Venemous Rat trip to Thornton, CA). Happy hunting !

Guest WrongWay

Ahhh, New York I figured would pass AZ, but Utah ? Closing within 4, Oh ! the shame of it all... I guess I will have to place one this weekend. 90 degrees Ha ! Beautiful spring weather...it's the 120s that scare me.

[This message has been edited by WrongWay (edited 03-20-2001).]

Guest bob_renner

quote:
Originally posted by Krepism:

Thank you!! I knew you guys could not be all bad. I have decided to go with "dead car", "cone mountian" and Senda de Tonto if I have time. ... I will be heading out to hunt early sunday, so maybe I will run into someone.

So how was your trip? I haven't seen any logs from you for the AZ caches. Hope you had a good time in our neck of the woods.

Bob

Guest WrongWay

quote:
Originally posted by bob_renner:

How about N33° 38.410' W112° 7.280'. They have an outside area and great scenery.

"great scenery" what a hoot...great idea.

Guest Krepism

Well.... Due to my lack of detail. I forgot to take any topo maps for the caches I decided to visit. So on the way to "dead car" I took highway 88. As you may know that was not the route to take. So we came in from the Payson area. Over all a great day!! My family had a great time and they are concidering getting a GPS. I hope they will add to the great Geocache hunter in AZ.

On another note: I have never seen AZ look like it does now. That rain has created some some great views. I dont think Utah even has that many wildflowers... geezzzz that is going to come back and hunt me....

Guest WrongWay

quote:
Originally posted by bob_renner:

Oh the shame, the SHAME! Arizona just got passed by Texas. Of all states - TEXAS!!!

AZ 64 TX 65. Is there no justice in the world?

Ahhh ! Quick, let's have another happy hour !

Did you note that Oregon is past AZ and TX ? Current 66...

Oh well, it was inevitable. When you're the best others will always try to top you...

Jim

[This message has been edited by WrongWay (edited 04-05-2001).]

Guest WrongWay

quote:
Originally posted by WrongWay:

When you're the best others will always try to top you...

Jim

Looks like UT is getting excited again...maybe we should just let them pass us so they don't lose heart... :))

[This message has been edited by WrongWay (edited 04-16-2001).]

Guest WrongWay

Hi AZ, you bunch of tender feet...we let UT pass us by...turn in your GPS and empty your canteen...

Instead of that rash action, go over to the Utah Stashes discussion and check out the last post I made.

It will be an uphill battle from now on to keep our..."OUR" lands open for access. I went to a Forrest Service meeting on Wed night down in Tempe. It was open to the public...there was large outdoor use advocate presence but also a large "green" presence (Sierra Club). The FS will be having meetings for the next few months in trying to determine a state wide policy for land use...time to get involved.

I have seen the "recommended" actions and they are restrictive. I'm for protecting the lands, sensitive environment and responsible use of our lands. I'm uniformly opposed to closing off public lands...check out that UT post and I will get more info together on what we can do in AZ. There is a main contact with the Forrest Service that is taking suggestions. The only bad suggestion is the one that's not made.

regards,

Jim

Guest AZMark

Hey did you all see the pictures that were posted to the McDowell cache? Great pics, and nice page, thanks to the owners for all the work.

Just too many lonely single men (like me) out there!!

Guest Krepism

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz... Oh were you guys placing caches down there? I see you finally broke 80. Just remember last place is not all that bad, maybe we can have a "special Geocaching" event for you during the summer..

Seriously... I dont envy you during the summer. At least we can try during the winter to do things, but during the summer there is impossible... Good luck down the road.