Map should show current stage instead of starting coords

PigeonsGoAway

I couldn't find any topic about this, please let me know if there is.

I think the map should show the coordinates of your next stage of each AL, not the starting coordinates.

I've found this specially annoying in 2 situations:

• When playing few ALs simultaneously, you need to remember exactly where each stage of each AL is (or open each of theme every time to check).
  • When an AL stages spread along long distances, you need to scroll to the initial point on every stage.

I would expect that if I open the app in a place, I can see the stages I can take part in, not the starting coordinates which sometimes are not even the 1st stage (of course, in case I've already started that AL).

Edited by PigeonsGoAway

Would only work on linear ones.

The better option would be to just show every location for all non linear ones and like you suggested the current one for linear ones on the map but Groundspeak already said in a podcast they are not planning to do it even if they agree that add extra backtracking...

• Upvote 2

I agree, only for linear ALs. I can understand the issue with showing all the stages of non-linear ALs.

But for linear ALs, I see no point on showing the original coordinates that you have already visited. I personally find it very inconvenient.

Edited by PigeonsGoAway

Before any of that, getting to basics, WP1 of an AL should show where the first stage is. Not cycling to the place, click on first stage and discover it's a few kms away. VERY disappointing :sad: ...and annoying :anitongue: . Then not have time to cycle a few extra kms, and need to organise to come back another time.

I really don't understand :rolleyes: why COs can't put WP1 where it is showing.

• Surprised 1

I agree with you, but that's currently up to the CO. Sometimes they use it to show a parking lot close to the first stage, other times they place it far away for some reason I don't understand.

But this is a different issue I'm talking about, something I believe can be easily solved :rolleyes:

• Funny 1
  • Surprised 1
On 6/22/2021 at 6:04 AM, Goldenwattle said:

Before any of that, getting to basics, WP1 of an AL should show where the first stage is.

I think that's another conversation. The OP seems to be talking about ALs he's in the middle of, so he's interested in the nearest stage, not the first stage.

On 6/22/2021 at 3:36 AM, PigeonsGoAway said:

I think the map should show the coordinates of your next stage of each AL, not the starting coordinates.

You're talking about the map in the AL app? If so, I think that map should -- optionally -- show all available waypoints for all ALs instead of only the posted starting point. I say that because while I understand your thinking, I don't see how the map could know what "your next stage" would be, and I don't think it really makes sense to guess and show only the closest stage. That map is outside the pursuit of any specific AL, so there is no next stage active for any of the ALs you've been following.

As it happens, I'm very sympathetic to this: just a couple days ago, I was in Monterey where there are 3 overlapping ALs visiting most of the same places. It got very confusing, switching back and forth between the ALs. By the end of it, I missed the last stage of one of them because I forgot there was a waypoint for that AL right where I was standing while answering the question for one of the other ALs.

• Upvote 1
On 6/26/2021 at 4:29 PM, dprovan said:

I think that's another conversation. The OP seems to be talking about ALs he's in the middle of, so he's interested in the nearest stage, not the first stage.

You're talking about the map in the AL app? If so, I think that map should -- optionally -- show all available waypoints for all ALs instead of only the posted starting point. I say that because while I understand your thinking, I don't see how the map could know what "your next stage" would be, and I don't think it really makes sense to guess and show only the closest stage. That map is outside the pursuit of any specific AL, so there is no next stage active for any of the ALs you've been following.

As it happens, I'm very sympathetic to this: just a couple days ago, I was in Monterey where there are 3 overlapping ALs visiting most of the same places. It got very confusing, switching back and forth between the ALs. By the end of it, I missed the last stage of one of them because I forgot there was a waypoint for that AL right where I was standing while answering the question for one of the other ALs.

There are ALs where there's a certain order to visit the stages (we called them linear here, I don't know the official name), and there is no magic required to know what "your next stage" would be in those.
As I said, I agree that showing all the available stages for the non linear ALs (maybe optionally) would be great :rolleyes: