I Hate Snakes!

McIrish

There seems to be a lot of logs in our area about snakes this season. A cache of mine has a lovely picture of a rattler sharing a path with some local cachers. I was out at another cache last week that had a warning posted about snakes. I didn't see one, but he was about a foot away from the cache several hours later....8 rattles! I would have stopped counting after one. Please please be careful out there. I carry a walking stick and usually poke it in logs before I put my hands in there. Any other good suggestions for avoiding snakes??? I have snake-itis now! icon_eek.gif

Southern CA is just as bad. I ran into a rattler with my kids recently, don't know how many rattles, but he had about 2.5 inches worhth of them. You can read my frantic log here:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=6607

I read in a log about a week later that another local cacher had run into a little one about 15 miles from there. Someone told me they are coming closer in to the cities this year than before because we have had so little rain. Don't know if that's true or not, but I'm keeping my eyes wide open from now on!

I looked through your caches in search of the picture you mention, but didn't immediately find it. Which cache was that McIrish?

BTW: I'm caching down in Bakersfield this weekend. Hiked along the (totally dry) Kern River yesterday... no snakes, but saw a big ol' bobcat! icon_biggrin.gif

llamasmall.jpg

Argh! Ok, that's two reasons for me not to go up by your area. I was going to pick up the ammo boxes, and hit a few caches in the area while I was there.

No wonder I haven't been able to get a hold of Rent this weekend. He's in Bakersfield! And... Now I know I'm not going to visit Avery's Pond until I get an appropriate walking stick.

---

Lawrence

I would put something funny here, but not now.

quote:
Originally posted by McIrish:

Ok you asked for it... http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cachelog_details.asp?ID=35581&L=289344

I went out there the next day to take pictures and thank goodness he was not there!!! Have fun on your trip Rent and find some caches while your there! Uh...I do like Bobcats in pictures!

Cool Picture, but couldn't you get the snake to pose? icon_cool.gif

I cached all the way down the valley and back again. There are some very clever microcaches in Modesto and Turlock. The caches in Bakersfield are pretty grim... you find things like cigarettes in them. Went to a cache up by Tehachapi which was nice. Then hit MikieP's Turlock Rest Area cache on the way home.

Helped put two new caches out in Bakersfield: Planet Bob and Mini Bob.

llamasmall.jpg

Being a former resident of Sacramento and living smack dab in the middle of the desert now, I know what y'all are talking about. Out for a local cache last weekend, we met up with two gila monsters and a rattler. That'll get your heart pumping on an early morning. icon_biggrin.gif It's not a fear thing, I know they aren't looking to get me just the surprise factor.

Just remember to watch your feet and, if you have the tendency that I do to bushwhack, where you put your hands.

Have fun and be safe. Next time I'm in Sacto, I'll have to hunt up some of your caches.

Csquared - Tim & Karen

I always take a staff with me its not only good for prodding creepy crawlers out of the way its great for going up steep hills or down, it has helped find many caches whether in the bushes or under something where creepy crawlers might like to be. Also a 7ft Calcutta bamboo staff makes a formidable weapon. also remember when your on the trail in the heat of day the rattlers will more then likely be on the shady side of the trail, if they are out. And they seem to blend in very well with the soil color down here close to the border

PS don't forget the moutain lions