Geocaching.com Does Not Work on the Safari Web Browser

South Lyon Trekkers

I have posted before about issues with geocaching.com and the Safari web browser. I have not seen much posted in response to the issues with the browser. If I missed an answer to this, and I did search, please let me know.

I don't know if this is a settings issues, a Safari issue, or a geocaching.com issue, but I and finding more and more that Geocaching.com does not work on the Safari web browser. While I can get to the site, most pages, especially map pages, render as a white page. I can no longer trust that geocaching.com will work on Safari. I have switched to Chrome, but I don't like having to use different browsers for different things and would like to understand what has happened to keep the site from working. If there is a simple fix on my end, please let me know. I am happy to work with TPTB if my help is useful.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 2
7 hours ago, South Lyon Trekkers said:

I have posted before about issues with geocaching.com and the Safari web browser. I have not seen much posted in response to the issues with the browser. If I missed an answer to this, and I did search, please let me know.

I don't know if this is a settings issues, a Safari issue, or a geocaching.com issue, but I and finding more and more that Geocaching.com does not work on the Safari web browser. While I can get to the site, most pages, especially map pages, render as a white page. I can no longer trust that geocaching.com will work on Safari. I have switched to Chrome, but I don't like having to use different browsers for different things and would like to understand what has happened to keep the site from working. If there is a simple fix on my end, please let me know. I am happy to work with TPTB if my help is useful.

Which version of Safari? And on what platform?

I'm OK right now with 12.1.2 on a fairly old OS X. You could try clearing all the browser caches and so on associated with the site - I've had issues with specific sites before with Safari that that's fixed.

It's on my iMac and MBP. Running macOS 11.4 and Safari 14.1.1. It's been an issue for some time and I have upgraded Safari and the OS in that time. I don't typically use Safari on my iPhone or iPad for Geocaching. So I have not looked at or recall issues there. I've cleared my browser multiple times. I do so on a regular basis. I've run through settings, including pop ups and permissions. I am just out of ideas. I don't have issues on any other sites.

• Helpful 2

I am at the end of downloading queries for a 2 month USA road trip. I have NEVER had the issues I have had the last few weeks! Everytime I click on a view map or download gpx the page freezes and I have to go back. it is awful. I am running most current mac safari and this has never happened before. switching to chrome (from experience sometimes it helps with other programs) but why now?

I've been having the same issue as described above FOR MONTHS now. I'm currently running Mac OS Big Sure 11.5.1 and Safari 14.1.2. Almost every single time when I click on "View Larger Map" from a cache page I'm presented with a "Safari Can't Open Page" error. Clicking on the Refresh button usually solves the issue and the map is displayed. But that's just a PITA to do every time. And like others, I don't want to have to switch from Safari to Chrome to Firefox just to get the Geocaching website to work correctly. These are all the latest browsers and any decent website that conforms to the current HTML standards should open and display correctly, but gc.com seems to have been failing consistently for a long time now. Frustrating to say the least.

• Helpful 1

Same here, for months now. On a iMac with Big Sure 11.5.2 an Safari 14.1.2. Refreshing solves it for one map, but clicking further gives same problem again: white maps which can't be opened by Safari. Or the map is showed, but your search-results are gone.. And on Safari on the iPad it's the same problem. 

• Upvote 1

There is definitely something weird happening on the geocaching.com side. Geocaching.com is sometimes dropping the connection after it receives a request when the connection is reused, instead of fulfilling the request.

The underlying issue is actually affecting all browsers, but Firefox and Chrome work around it by automatically retrying when this happens. (You can disable this retrying in Firefox by going to about:config and setting network.http.request.max-attempts to 0. If you do this, you'll see the map randomly fail just like it does in Safari.)

• Upvote 1

I am having major issues using iMac and Safari.  When a geocache page is loaded after a few seconds the wheel starts and the cache page is unable to be refreshed.  Start another window and the same occuring.  If I use Chrome, I have none of these issues, but I rather use Safari as all of my bookmarks are available and it is the native browser for Mac.

This issue started to occur on Monday, Dec 13, 2021.     

As others have mentioned, I have had earlier issues, but those went away after a few days.  But this issue is terrible for reviewing geocaches and everything with geocaching.

31 minutes ago, gjhimages said:

Update:  I found once that I cleared my Safari history on my iMac, that Geocaching.com now works with Safari.  I did have to re-sign in to multiple sites, but Geocaching.com works as it used to with Safari.

Yeah, that happens every now and then. When sites behave strangely, one of the things I do is force-reload the entire page. Often, new HTML combined with old JavaScript/CSS just doesn't work.

1 hour ago, Moody von trapps said:

I had this problem for a while too but might have just fixed it...this is what worked for me: 

1. With geocaching.com open in safari browser...

2. Click  'Safari' ( next to the apple) then look for  'settings for geocaching.com'... 5th line down

3. Uncheck the box  'enable content blockers'

This certainly has improved things for me for the 20 minutes I've tested it but it still has crashed a couple of times, but regardless still useable, so thanks! Didn't know the content blocker was a thing on Safari, good to know about that little feature (and how to disable it). MS Edge browser on the Mac is running perfectly though (Monterey, 12.2)

On 2/10/2022 at 9:47 PM, JoshoForShort said:

This certainly has improved things for me for the 20 minutes I've tested it but it still has crashed a couple of times, but regardless still useable, so thanks! Didn't know the content blocker was a thing on Safari, good to know about that little feature (and how to disable it). MS Edge browser on the Mac is running perfectly though (Monterey, 12.2)

I take it back - issue is persisting just as bad as before.

macOS 12.2.1, safari 15.3

• Helpful 1

I have had this problem with Safari since I started geocaching last August. In fact I always assumed it was just a general problem with the Geocaching website until I asked others at a meeting today and nobody else had any issues!

I therefore checked on Chrome when I got home and, sure enough, it worked fine - the first time I’ve ever used the website without having to repeatedly refresh literally every single time I click a link! 

Still, I use Safari for my browsing generally and would like not to have to switch to Chrome every time I want to use the Geocaching site!

On 2/10/2022 at 2:23 AM, Moody von trapps said:

I had this problem for a while too but might have just fixed it...this is what worked for me: 

1. With geocaching.com open in safari browser...

2. Click  'Safari' ( next to the apple) then look for  'settings for geocaching.com'... 5th line down

3. Uncheck the box  'enable content blockers'

Just did this.  Will see if it helps.