Cool GPS case at Fry's

fizzymagic

I went to Fry's yesterday (the one in Fremont) and found this very cool case for my GPS unit. It was $15. I know the GPS is supposed to be waterproof, but Jimswim and I actually swim with ours, so any extra safety is useful. Anyway, I thought I would tell the locals about it, because I think it is neat. icon_smile.gif

45488_1300.jpg

You can't see, but the inside is rubber, relatively soft. They also come in sizes suitable for digital cameras and PDAs.

Remember: when leaving Fry's, you do not have to show your receipt to the Door Nazis. Just politely say "no, thanks" when they reach for it. They generally just say "have a nice day" to me...

[This message was edited by fizzymagic on June 19, 2002 at 12:24 PM.]

I think that the purpose of the door nazis are to mark your receipt so that you can't just take the receipt back into the store and reuse the receipt to get duplicates of what you just bought.

Half the time, though, I just walk past them. Whatever they're getting, I'm thinking they're way overpaid. icon_smile.gif

These days, being in a lawful state of mind, I make them check off my receipt.

Nice thing about the Pelican cases is that since you can get them everywhere from Diving stores to boating stores to EMS to online to camera shops, etc, you can always find odd sizes at sale prices. I've picked up several for only a couple bucks each. Try boating stores for ones that are slow sellers or EMS for clearance ones.

Just be careful about buying the specialty ones with the modified faces (for pdas, cell phones, etc) Tend to be very expensive & leak! Also, since the more expensive ones come with the foam liners, you can buy the plain ones & get some leftover foam rubber from almost anywhere & cut it to custom fit the case & your gps or pda or whatever.

I velcroed my pda to the inner bottom of one that I bought & since it's just bigger than the pda, I never remove it from the case, just open the door to use.

But each time we consent to having store security search our bags/cart as we leave a store (Fry's Costco, etc.), are we not turning our back on the 4th Amendment?

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated..."

If I just purchased a (insert item(s) here), it's my property, no? Why do we consent to having our property searched systematically like this? Didn’t many people DIE to protect these most basic, American rights? Are we not in a fight right now, to preserve this way of life?

Sorry for the rant, but Fry’s can PISS me off…..

They're great to look around at cool toys, but in my experience their prices are considerably higher than other places.

Wal-Mart had the GPSV for $399.97 when the price first "dropped" and Fry's NEVER came around to that and kept selling the GPSV basic for $100 more. And the idiot salespeople didn't get the fact that EVERYONE was $100 cheaper than them.

When the SPIII Deluxe hit the shelves you could preorder them pretty much ANYWHERE for $799. I called Fry's and was quoted $1200. That's freaking RETAIL on it. I think they wound up selling it for $999, $200 more than anyone else.

At least on gps units they're prices aren't good. I did buy MapSource TOPO there because EVERYONE is retail on that, and they were too and they had it in stock (impulse buy - lol).

quote:
Originally posted by SteveL:

But each time we consent to having store security search our bags/cart as we leave a store (Fry's Costco, etc.), are we not turning our back on the 4th Amendment?

Unfortunatly no. The 4th amendment limits the power of government. If they had police checking receipts, then it would apply.

quote:
Originally posted by fizzymagic:

Remember: when leaving Fry's, you _do not_ have to show your receipt to the Door Nazis. Just politely say "no, thanks" when they reach for it. They generally just say "have a nice day" to me...

[This message was edited by fizzymagic on June 19, 2002 at 12:24 PM.]

ARE you serious? Does any place have the right to do that?

I am always confused, lost, or heading the wrong direction... Who cares?!?

Well, yeah, okay, maybe for GPSr's and accessories, and certainly for a lot of the consumer-level stuff they sell... but when it comes to computer equipment, especially if it's on sale...

I got 128mb of memory for my digicam for about $10 less than I could find it anywhere online (and I do mean anywhere). Stereos? Naah. CDs, DVDs, appliances? Forget it. But they've always been good with computer stuff.

Just my two cents, give or take...

-Trik

quote:

Remember: when leaving Fry's, you _do not_ have to show your receipt to the Door Nazis. Just politely say "no, thanks" when they reach for it. They generally just say "have a nice day" to me...

Really?! They always seem like they won't let you walk out w/out showing it to them. Do you always do this? What about at Home Depot? They have Door Nazis too.

I skip the door Nazis everywhere. Fry's, Home Depot, Costco, everywhere. They all know that they can't stop you, and they all rely on people to behave like sheep. I am never confrontational; I am always very nice and polite. And if they were to push it, I would almost certainly show them the receipt with no fuss. But I have never been stopped.

In fact, at Costco especially, there is often a long line of people waiting to show their receipts to the door Nazis. I just sail right by them.