[SOLVED] number of watchers disappeared / more watchlist bugs

balu2003

I think that's another bug related to the watchlist. If you receive an e-mail about a listing because you are on the watchlist, then at the end of the e-mail there is a link "Remove this from my watchlist". The link in the e-mail has this URL using the example: "http://www.geocaching.com/my/watchlist.aspx?id=3719606&DS=1&ACTION=REM"
If you click on the link in the e-mail, the cache will NOT be removed from the watchlist.,
However, if you click on "Watch" or "Stop Watching" on the website, the URL "https://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx/HandleWatchlistAction" is called and a JSON payload {true | false} is passed. The Cache will be removed from the watchlist.
This is new and has not been the case so far and I suspect by changing the website scripts it was forgotten that there is also the link "Remove this from ..". However, it no longer works.
(sry bad translation)

• Upvote 2

I have send yesterday a request to  contact@geocaching.com  regarding point #4 of the above Buglist- This is the answer:

Hello balu2003-

Thank you for letting us now this additional information. I have added this on to the reported issue. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Best regards

I expect that the developers always make a backup copy and/or work with a version control system. And thus can quickly (two days) restore the original error-free status. :-)

• Funny 8
54 minutes ago, balu2003 said:

I expect that the developers always make a backup copy and/or work with a version control system. And thus can quickly (two days) restore the original error-free status. :-)

Yes, I hope/expect this is the case.

But nevertheless sometimes multiple changes don't allow to simply restore one of these changes without restoring everything...

It would be interesting if we knew more about why these adjustments were made.

But I don't think we can do much more than report (what you did well with clear info) 👍

On 6/18/2021 at 8:27 AM, simon_cornelus said:

Yes, I hope/expect this is the case.

But nevertheless sometimes multiple changes don't allow to simply restore one of these changes without restoring everything...

It would be interesting if we knew more about why these adjustments were made.

But I don't think we can do much more than report (what you did well with clear info) 👍

Hope springs eternal, but I'm betting that they just decided to remove the number of watchers on a listing for......?????.......REASONS.  They keep doing this to a perfectly good system.  I like to see how many watchers there are on a geocache.  Especially if I think I might want to try for a FTF on a new cache.  Such a simple thing, but important I think.

1 hour ago, Tundra Wolf said:

I like to see how many watchers there are on a geocache.  Especially if I think I might want to try for a FTF on a new cache.  Such a simple thing, but important I think.

I agree. It's an important feature. Also, a cache that hasn't been found for awhile (not in keeping with the history of the cache's regular finds) with several watches, can indicate unlogged DNFs, and the lacking confidence, scared to log that first DNF watchers are waiting for someone with more spine to log that first DNF, or a find.

I wish that things that work well would be left alone. I still can't click on watch on the cache page, or remove the watch from a cache. That feature no longer works for me.

Please programmers, LEAVE THINGS ALONE THAT WORK WELL. DON'T Make them un-work.

Edited by Goldenwattle
  • Helpful 1
  • Love 1
47 minutes ago, Keystone said:

Note that a Lackey has already acknowledged these bugs and reported them to the Engineering team.  Speculation that Geocaching HQ intended to remove a basic feature is off base and inappropriate.

Thank you, that's good to hear. Sometimes it's the lack of communication and not knowing what's going on that leads to comments.

• Upvote 3

Number of watchers seems to be back, both on own and other's caches. I can still watch my own cache though (increasing the watch count by one), and I can see that some caches have zero watchers which should not be possible if the CO is always watching.

• Upvote 1
  • Surprised 1
26 minutes ago, ChriBli said:

and I can see that some caches have zero watchers which should not be possible if the CO is always watching.

The notifications a CO gets don't come through a watchlist so they aren't considered to be watching unless they specifically add themselves to their own cache (and presumably then get notified twice of any logs). Some of my caches have always shown 0 watchers and still do.

1 minute ago, barefootjeff said:

The notifications a CO gets don't come through a watchlist so they aren't considered to be watching unless they specifically add themselves to their own cache (and presumably then get notified twice of any logs). Some of my caches have always shown 0 watchers and still do.

OK, I wasn't sure how it used to be. Couldn't remember seeing "Watch (0)" before. But it is still possible to add your own caches to your watchlist, and I am quite certain I couldn't do that before. Just as the OP says.

• Upvote 1
  • Surprised 1

In the past it was by default that a CO watches his own caches, If the CO trys to add his own cache to the watchlist, then there was a message like "the CO ist automatically" on the watchlist. So as described above Watch(0) was never possible.
(the lost space is funny and shows how careful they work )
See point 2.) of my bug report  

Bug 2.) is still not fixed
Bug 4.) is not fixed

Edited by balu2003
  • Helpful 1
6 hours ago, balu2003 said:

So as described above Watch(0) was never possible.

I'm sure it was as I'm quite certain that often I was the first one starting to watch a cache which had 0 watchers.

I never tried to watch my own caches so I can't comment about this.

On 6/22/2021 at 2:17 PM, Hynz said:

I'm sure it was as I'm quite certain that often I was the first one starting to watch a cache which had 0 watchers.

I never tried to watch my own caches so I can't comment about this.

Normaly a user don't need to explicit watch his own listing, he will automatically receive an e-mail on new logs.
But it should not be able to remove himself, in this case he would get no longer notifications about DNF, NM or Notes from the reviewer.
The link in the "watchlist email" ist still not working like in the past. This was "remove from watchlst" and not "show watchlist"
And it was not announced by the HQ via release note.
I want it back.

• Helpful 1

I did't see this already posted.

When I get an email about a cache on my Watchlist, and I want to delete the cache from the Watchlist, I click the "Remove this from my watchlist" link. When I get to the page the text and buttons that are usually there at the top, are no longer there. I have to manually find and click the cache to remove.

I am using Safari and have been having issues with the website for other things, mostly mapping. I don't know if this is another issue associated with Safari or if it is an issue in GC's side of things.

@Keystone

I mean that nothing more needs to be discussed here. It is clear that these "unintentional changes" are bugs. These must be resolved as quickly as possible.
I would expect there to be a clear statement from Groundspeak as to when the error will be fixed.
After all, we (premium members) also pay for this function.

• Funny 3

You are right
the link "Remove this from my watchlist" from the watchlist email now opens the watchlist  and two buttons are displayed to remove the selected listing or cancel the action.  I'll write an update in my first post on this thread:

But it would have been nice if Groundspeak (in this thread) had pointed out that the bug#4 is fixed

Note1: Bug # 2 has not yet been fixed

Note2: The API (Web URL) to add or remove listings from the watchlist was changed on around 6/16/2021.  I don't know whether this change also affects the API, which GSAK or Locus use. Because as far as I know, these two do not use the free Web API but the limited licensed API from Groundspeak.

Edited by Keystone
Reference to unauthorized app removed by moderator
3 hours ago, HHL said:

Not true for GSAK. I just tested it and the cache was added to the watchlist as expected. Seems your macro (unfortunately you didn't name it) does not work correct.

Did you do that using the List Manager in the Geocaching menu? I see that does work. So perhaps there was an API change a while back and both the macro and Locus need to be updated. Thanks for pointing that out. 

I didn't know the GSAK built-in List Manager could handle the watchlist, too.  Guess I don't need to use the macro anyway.

Yes, I was using WatchListManager.gsk by Kai Team.  It behaves exactly like the Locus menu option. Prints "CacheName added to the watchlist" on the watchlist page but does not actually add it.  So I'll bet you're right that they are both using the same outdated call/URL.

Thanks for your insight on this.

The Icon left from "watch" or "stop watching" ist missing:
because the CSS in bundle\cachedetails must changed due to the changed URL-calls  for "watch" and "stop watching" (bug#4)
(you can still click on the text for "watch" oder "Stop Watching", so it's cosmetic only, but in the prior version there was an icon visible)
Regarding cosmetics, the missing space between "Stop Watching" and (2) is also part of cosmetics

Cache_Detail_NAvigation.png.7131760b5d079d19b7501dbaa7f8763e.png

this code is no longer working for Caches !

.CacheDetailNavigation a[href*="watchlist.aspx"] {
    background-image: url(/images/icons/16/watch.png)
}
.CacheDetailNavigation a[href$="action=rem"] {
    background-image: url(/images/icons/16/stop_watching.png)
}

must be ADDED with something like this

.CacheDetailNavigation [data-href*="watchlist.aspx"] {

But attention, the watch and stop watching of Travel Bugs is using the old style URL-call and therefore needs the old code above.

Edited by balu2003
Think about TB's !

A short status report,

12.09.2021 it seems that all these bugs / issues are fixed

#1 the space between Watch and (number) is now back.
                     #2 is now fixed, when I try to add my own caches to the watchlist, then this message popup "As the owner of a geocache, you already watch it"
                     #3  fixed 22.06.2021           

#4  fixed 16.07.2021        

#5 The Icon before the word "Watch" / "Stop Watching" is now back

But there were some API / WebAPI changes to add or remove caches from the watchlist. I assume that some macros wouldn't work any longer.
I will add [SOLVED] to the topic

• Helpful 1