We're off to see the Wizard Cache

$kimmer

quote:
Originally posted by $kimmer:

A group of us from East County are trying to solve this, we're stuck on the Munchkins' location. We haven't a clue where to look. Any help out there?

Well, I'm not going to vote for Ramona icon_smile.gif.

I think this is by far the hardest puzzle in the group, because it requires a certain cultural referent that some people simply don't have. Hawkeye and I didn't grow up in southern california, and we both knew about munchkins, but we were debating whether a San Diego native would. An informal survey of co-workers indicated that if you ask enough people, you'll get the right answer. But since we've done the cache already, saying more would feel like cheating!

Maybe you should've mentioned in the cache description that a car is necessary... I think the cache hasn't been done in two months is because some people started walking right after the picnic, and they're not done yet...

(Really, though, the container is HUGE! And FULL OF NEAT STUFF! I know you're not supposed to go geocaching for the swag, but man, do this one for the swag if for no other reason icon_smile.gif. And for the burros. Do it for the poor, lonely, terminally cute burros!)

*Sigh* Okay, don't do it for the swag. I'm very sorry to hear the cache got vandalized. The container *was* huge, but it was so well camouflaged I thought it would survive in its original location.

I'd be happy to donate some stuff for the replacement, when a new site is found. Since we found the original, will we just be given coords for the replacement so we can stop by? icon_wink.gif.

K&H, I like that idea a lot. Nimmie proposed another thought as well that I'd like feedback on - as we're having to start over anyway, perhaps we should place a normal-sized ammo can for the Wizard, and use the big ol'ammo can for the next picnic.

I'm of the opinion that if you don't know there was a huge stash at the end of Wizard, you'd probably not do it. 8-)

In any event, we visited the end of the run, recovered the box and some of the swag, and cleaned up the rest. Took an hour...8-

Anyway, please respond here - big box or little?

Earl, Ringmaster

The Adams Family Circus

Dr._H_Resourcepage.htm

If the new spot you have in mind is adequately secure, I'd say keep using the huge box. It's a lot of fun, at the end of a marathon hunt like that, to reach the mother of all caches. On the other hand, if you can't find somewhere suitably remote (or a hidey-hole big enough), a smaller box wouldn't be tragic either. Just as long as it's not a gladware sandwich box icon_smile.gif. My first impulse, when I heard that the cache needed re-stocking, was to gather up all the HUGE stuff I can't fit in any other caches, but I'm sure we could find some nice small items too. A smaller cache with quality items would be just as appealing. How's all that for a non-answer?

(By the way, aren't you going to log the #3 Commuter Cache? We've been wondering if you had any luck with any of the others, too -- kablooey beat us to #4, which was looking just as bare as #3 by the time we found it. We called it a night after that. Hunting caches for the swag is really never rewarding. Except for Off to See a Wizard... I really absolutely NEEDED that cat paperweight, and was petrified that someone would beat us to the cache and take it. It resides in a place of honor with the three other things I've really wanted to keep after doing nearly 200 caches -- a domino, a ceramic walnut, and two little cat-shaped chopstick holders. No accounting for taste, is there?)

Dear Circus,

I highly recommend that you down-size that cache to a large (but not huge) ammo box. It's really WAY too big for a cache. Once the swag goes down in quality and size, you won't need it. Just put any excess in a new cache or something.

Two for (counting Kite and Hawkeye), one against.

You guys aren't helping! icon_wink.gif

We scouted, and found a few likely spots in the PERFECT area. Now we need to clean up the box (even if we don't use it, I'm not having a poison oak laden box sitting in the garage!), get it loaded and placed. It also reeks! Appears to have been in the open for awhile, and created some bio-specimens or something.

One thing after another, we'll get to the logs. In short, we only hit 3 caches before dragging ourselves to bed - and we were always 4th. Honestly I have to admit being disappointed - I expected decent booty, darn it. And, don't get me wrong, there WAS decent booty - I just didn't get any of it. icon_rolleyes.gif

We had a good time, though!

Earl, Ringmaster

The Adams Family Circus

Dr._H_Resourcepage.htm

I don't think we get two votes. If we do, though -- I (Kite) write most of the logs and forum posts. When I told Hawkeye the cache had been plundered, I think his comment was, "Yeah, it was too big." So I guess we've got one vote for and one against, and we cancel one another out with a little implosion.

I see that Lorenzo's Gold and Lua's Cache are also MIA?? Plundering one cache is bad enough, but it's really rotten to see a whole park's worth of them destroyed. Seems more premeditated than "oh, some kids must have happened across the cache." I don't see how anyone could've known where yours was ahead of time, though. Oh, we could *guess*, and there was a certain poetic justice to it, but we'd never have actually found the thing without doing all the puzzles. Guess it was dumb bad luck.

I personally like the big honking ammo box. It is one of the things that makes the final prize of this difficult cache worth working for. I would just hide in a more remote location where it is less likely to get plundered. After all the trouble fkrexcal and I had solving this one, I expected a long hard hike at the end to find the cache. I think a final waypoint of this type would be appropriate. RM