Mystery cache map shortcomings

fallingforstars

Although I’ve been a cacher for just over a year now it seems absurd to me that having solved a series of mystery caches their positioning on the map reverts to their original position just for the sake of a design no doubt considered cool by the CO. I’ve done all the hard work, so what happens when I want to return to one of the caches to place a TB?.. I’ve now lost the reference to which one it is when for instance there are say 50 caches in the series. At least allow me the option to keep the icon on its discovered position. It is also important for strategic planning to know where there is available space to place caches of my own in the vicinity (not good practice to keep enquiring to a volunteer for a co-ordinates check). Apart from a pretty graphic element on the cache map it serves a very limited purpose and no purpose at all once solved.

• Upvote 7
  • Helpful 1
32 minutes ago, fallingforstars said:

It is also important for strategic planning to know where there is available space to place caches of my own in the vicinity

You are right about that there should be a setting for that, but if you need the 528ft / 161m "circles", you can use 3rd party apps like Cachly on iOS or GCDroid on Android (and i guess Geooh GO also has this). The caches are remaining in the desired positions there.

A common observation. As time goes on, I run into more and more cases where I wanted to know where the cache was hidden and virtually none where I wanted to see where it was posted. It's happen so often, I've come to the realization that it really doesn't matter to me whether the original posting locations drew a pretty picture. I saw the picture before I solved them. It might be kinda nice to see the pictures again, but in day to day use, what I want to see is where the cache was hidden.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
On 6/15/2021 at 1:40 PM, fallingforstars said:

Although I’ve been a cacher for just over a year now it seems absurd to me that having solved a series of mystery caches their positioning on the map reverts to their original position just for the sake of a design no doubt considered cool by the CO. I’ve done all the hard work, so what happens when I want to return to one of the caches to place a TB?.. I’ve now lost the reference to which one it is when for instance there are say 50 caches in the series. At least allow me the option to keep the icon on its discovered position. It is also important for strategic planning to know where there is available space to place caches of my own in the vicinity (not good practice to keep enquiring to a volunteer for a co-ordinates check). Apart from a pretty graphic element on the cache map it serves a very limited purpose and no purpose at all once solved.

While it's certainly NOT map related, I always make sure to edit the final coordinates once I've found it and then put it in a list (not public) for my personal perusal.  That way, I can verify the final location, either for someone asking or for myself.  I can also look at it to jog my memory on how it was actually solved.