"I love" signs and inscriptions

I've had the opportunity to come across a few I LOVE signs recently. They seem to be more and more popular.

They are placed in courtyards, squares, or at the entrances to cities, and relate to a particular region, attraction, city, or neighborhood. They are created as a permanent construction of hedges, metal connectors and whatever the creator had in mind.

They can be treated as a tourist attraction, like this sign from Uzbekistan:

Comments Bot

source: https://images.app.goo.gl/WMfUtZcdi4urbrvb6

Beirut souks | sallyaboumerhi

source:https://images.app.goo.gl/KKCCN9EEJnTL9A3CA

Some of them are decorated for the period of christmas time:

Na Żoliborzu już czuć święta! Choinka rozświetlona - Gazeta Żoliborza

source: https://gazetazoliborza.pl/2019/12/06/na-zoliborzu-juz-czuc-swieta-choinka-rozswietlona/

The only problem may be determining the permanence of such signs. All the ones I've seen in my area are made to be permanent, sometimes decorated as in the example above for a limited time.

I thought this might be a good category. The question is, do you think this is a good idea? Would you find that interesting?

More examples:

https://goo.gl/maps/JrvDrsmt8pyVvU5m9

Edited by sernikk
  • Upvote 1
  • Love 1

I kinda love the sentiment expressed in a potential category such as this.

I LOVE, as opposed to so much sentiment of the opposite nature being expressed of late, is like a breath of fresh air.

To me, this is a timely, yet timeless, category worthy of exploring.

GO FOR IT!!!

I truly believe you have a winner here!!!

Get it going and I'll gladly volunteer as an officer! I'll even help you with the creation, if need be!

Keith

I can't believe it! 85 views and NOBODY else has yet spoken up?!?!?!

Edited by ScroogieII
5 hours ago, Alfouine said:

Good point, but I have to say the examples you've provided, are a little different from what I think the love category's main aim may be.

You are right that there are love signs which are already in a different category. <cut out part>

Examples #1 and #2 are art, so that obviously works there more than in the love category (edit: don't get me wrong, they would be fine here too, but they are an unique example). It's a very known sculpture: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_(sculpture) I was even able to find a remade Polish version of it :D
Plaque from #2 confirmes:
  bf6a1eaa-546c-4811-b5f6-d4abac7743de.jpg

Example #3 fits easily into SPAS, as it's clearly cut out of metal and that's what the category is mainly aiming at. It would also nicely work in this potential category. Cross-Waymarking could be prohibited or allowed, it depends.

Example #4 Nice entry sign, artistic in a way

I think the Silhouette Public Art Sculptures category has a different aim, than the idea I brought up. From my examples, the third one would be unacceptable, as it's made out of hedges. Also not all "I love something" or "love" signs would be as artistic to fit (to fit, not to be accepted) into the mentioned SPAS category. There are many easy ones, where the author is unknown, and it was made only to please the eye.

But aside of the above, I think that the concept of "I ❤️ something" (or anything with a heart, or love word) is strong, and it's unique in a way. You surely know logos like this ( btw. what a potential to have a similar, cool category icon!) :
I Love New York – Wikipedia, wolna encyklopedia
Source: https://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Love_New_York

Of course you may disagree that it needs a separate category, but maybe it's not a bad idea to make a different section for this kind of stuff.

If more people has a different perspective from mine, Keith and someone else who PM'ed me about this, just let me know. It's better to know now than after a denied Peer review :)

I did some editing in this post, I've expressed myself differently than I wanted

Edited by sernikk
small changes - clarification

It would be very difficult to define what is accepted and what is not. Are welcome signs accepted? Are sculptures accepted? What types of sculptures (words only or could there be an artistic part)? Personally, I don't really see a need for a new category here since they can be submitted to other existing categories. I would be open to it if these questions, among others, can be worked out.

Nizza, France:

0-600.jpg.231565aa7a857ba84b751bf850898aaa.jpg

I'm not that enthusiastic about that category, but on the other hand I'm not totally against it. What I think:

There's always the idea for a new category, because the category that would accept these waymarks is not exactly what the WMer was thinking about. I think most of these signs will be accept in the Silhouette Public Art Sculptures category or at least the officers of that group should be asked first. When I think about my "Feed the Animals" category: Several WMers said, that it would have a lot of waymarks that are already in the Zoos and the Petting Farms and Zoos category, but it turned out that this is not true. But now I have yet to see, if the majority of these I love-Signs will be accepted in the SPAS category or not.

Second thought: How prevelant are they? I've seen the one above in person, but that's it. I assume that they can only be found in bigger cities, right? And do they have to have the name of a city/region/country? Or would f.e. "I love organization name" also be accepted?

Edited by PISA-caching

As I think I said before, this category will have my positive vote. It doesn't matter if some of these things were in the past, wrongly, included in an art category. These signs are not intended to be art. Are intended to mark a central spot (most of the times) of a town, city or village, even a landmark, where visitors can have their picture taken. 

I would simplistically define them as decorative objects of considerable dimensions containing the word love or the symbol of a heart, intended to be used as an anchor for tourist portraits on the spot. 

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1
On 6/14/2021 at 9:16 AM, PISA-caching said:

Nizza, France:

0-600.jpg.231565aa7a857ba84b751bf850898aaa.jpg

Second thought: How prevelant are they? I've seen the one above in person, but that's it. I assume that they can only be found in bigger cities, right? And do they have to have the name of a city/region/country? Or would f.e. "I love organization name" also be accepted?

I saw them in airports (not a city neither a village) and smaller towns. My town is 45 k inhabitants and there is one. I saw them in specific neighbourhoods and saw them by landmarks in the middle of nowhere. And I saw them in South America, Europe, Africa, Asia. Considering the kind of some new categories I see created recently, this one is more than prevalent. 

On 6/14/2021 at 12:08 AM, bluesnote said:

Are welcome signs accepted? Are sculptures accepted? What types of sculptures (words only or could there be an artistic part)?

Of course there is a need to draw the line. So trying answering your questions I would say, in my opinion, as long as the word love or heart symbol is the only or the main concept of the object it should fit (the word love or the equivalent in the native language of the region).

Example of an acceptable Welcome Sign:

Sign Love: Welcome to Virginia - FuninFairfaxVA
Source: https://images.app.goo.gl/wMiLAStshxWQ5yov5

The sign / inscription can also be artistic and should be accepted, as long as the love is the core of it. These creations are artistic but LOVE is still the main concept:
LOVE Sculpture - LYH – Lynchburg Tourism
Fredericksburg spreads the LOVE with new sculpture | Local News |  fredericksburg.com
Source: https://images.app.goo.gl/8oJTC3Vx2M49FbXU6, https://images.app.goo.gl/ms12PURiL5LEF5RS7

The same goes with sculptures. If the sculpture is only a part of the sign / inscription, it would be okay I guess. These days the sculptures can be so different and unusual, that I would say: post it there where it fits the most. Edge cases will be voted.

Some more examples:

- The "Love" sculptures (#1 and #2) linked by Alfouine would also be accepted, for the same reasons as above.

- If there is a sculpture of a girl holding a book, and the book has "I love *something*" written on it, this won't be accepted, because the love is not the main creation of the sculpture.

- I also saw creations where there is a town name and one letter is switched to be a heart (I could provide an example later), or the heart is the point of the " i " letter. Like: Lond♥n, instead of London - acceptable.

If you have some cases you want to discuss, please post them.

On 6/14/2021 at 10:16 AM, PISA-caching said:

But now I have yet to see, if the majority of these I love-Signs will be accepted in the SPAS category or not.

As I said before, I think that the concept of the SPAS category is different than of this conceptual category, but I'm not an officer there. I think all the examples I listed are already providing some view, and most of them wouldn't fit, or at least shouldn't in my opinion. Your example of # I Love NICE is suitable to this potential category. On the other hand this waymark got accepted two days ago in SPAS, when in my opinion it's not exactly right there. I think it got accepted as there is currently no other category for something similar (and even if we create this one, it still will only be for love related stuff) - from 2012 SPAS category is accepting text art pieces.

Should we allow or disallow cross-Waymarking in the future? As example #3 from Alfouine clearly fits into both categories:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/gs-waymarking-images/5cd3724c-e365-48c3-90f3-a7cedf71cd57.jpg
https://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/wm11Z3Q_LOVEwork_at_Virginia_Welcome_Center_Bristol_Virginia_USA

I created a group https://www.Waymarking.com/groups/details.aspx?f=1&guid=0c9f0b07-094d-4b31-8c94-4f750bf4c01c. If someone feels he would like to be an officer, or want to help out with the requirements, please let me know. Over time, we will try to prepare a category description.

If you have more examples that can be used as examples or to discuss edge cases, I would be glad to see them. I personally will be able to provide two examples from my region, one of this one:

I love Warsaw - sign in the city stock photo  b26e90b5-891b-4c61-9869-d4760a88bf50

Source: https://images.app.goo.gl/MiYTZwSuT3MkjTmt9

Greetings

Edited by sernikk
forgot to add source to img

If I had found these signs, I would have (depending on the text and intent of the sign), submitted to possibly Official Local Tourism Attractions , possibly Roadside Attractions , and possibly Silhouette Public Art Sculptures .

I was sent email about the Silhouette category and this proposed category, thus am responding publicly to the question. 'Text' artwork has always been accepted in the Silhouette Public Art Category. From the Silhouette category description,

"This category is for a sculpture that is generally a silhouette, that is, only has shape when viewed from one or two angles instead of full dimensionality as is found in Figurative Public Sculpture. A Silhouette Sculpture is commonly viewed from the front or rear; a side or top view would only reveal the thickness of the medium (usually metal). Flat sculptures of metal or similar material that are embedded into concrete (or similar material) will also be allowed if they do not fit into another more appropriate category. Also, the silhouette sculpture may be made from round tubing; if the artist's final sculpture is basically flat, that is acceptable. The sculpture may be left in its natural state or painted or finished in another manner. These sculptures must be a public art piece; not an advertising figure or humorous lawn-ornament or holiday decoration(s).

Added August 14, 2012: Silhouette will also accept art pieces that are text (see example below).

The piece must be on permanent display; not a temporary exhibit. A sculpture in an airport (or any other secured location) that is within the secure area would not fit this category as only people with tickets would be able to view the sculpture."

For Silhouette category pieces, see: Red Heart - Glenelg, SA, Australia , Robert Indiana's "Love" Sculpture - Dallas, TX , Papa D's Ice Cream - Post, TX , LOVEwork in Russell County ~ Castlewood, Virginia - USA.LOVE TAUPO letters. Taupo. North Is, New Zealand. , etc. I just don't have time to scan the other categories for examples (sorry).

I do understand that the new category proposal is to highlight the heart symbol and/or the word 'love.' This may be a credible proposal. What would be examples of signs that are not accepted?

Not against the category - just thinking out loud. Take care, Outspoken1

• Love 1
On 6/15/2021 at 3:28 AM, Torgut said:

As I think I said before, this category will have my positive vote. It doesn't matter if some of these things were in the past, wrongly, included in an art category. These signs are not intended to be art. Are intended to mark a central spot (most of the times) of a town, city or village, even a landmark, where visitors can have their picture taken. 

I would simplistically define them as decorative objects of considerable dimensions containing the word love or the symbol of a heart, intended to be used as an anchor for tourist portraits on the spot. 

I just felt this should be "reTweeted", as it were, as I feel Torgut makes some very cogent points here.

Keith

19 hours ago, Outspoken1 said:

If I had found these signs, I would have (depending on the text and intent of the sign), submitted to possibly Official Local Tourism Attractions , possibly Roadside Attractions , and possibly Silhouette Public Art Sculptures .

How many waymarks can you make out of a single catholic church? In some cases, perhaps a whole dozen. Does it means those 12 categories shouldn't exist then? Besides, as I wrote before, and nobody expressed contrary opinion, these signs are not intended to be art. Everything interesting by the roadside will be an attraction. Hold on, in fact, almost everything interesting will be a roadside attraction. And most likely they will not be mentioned as a Tourism Attraction by theirselves.

So, is it OK to deal with wrong with more wrong? If these signs were (or can be) placed in categories where they don't fit it's no reason to deny them a proper home. Just commenting, I am aware you don't oppose the category.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, iconions said:

Too many of these are of a temporary nature - last night at the KC Royals baseball game, one went up for the night for nurses.  

Good point. Temporary displays should not be allowed (but then, this applies to most categories, I guess).

On 6/14/2021 at 1:16 AM, PISA-caching said:

I think most of these signs will be accept in the Silhouette Public Art Sculptures category or at least the officers of that group should be asked first.

On 6/16/2021 at 7:07 AM, Outspoken1 said:

Added August 14, 2012: Silhouette will also accept art pieces that are text

• Helpful 1
On 6/17/2021 at 2:35 AM, Torgut said:

Besides, as I wrote before, and nobody expressed contrary opinion, these signs are not intended to be art

Torgut has a very good point here.

The fact that the officers of some Art related categories muddied their own waters shouldn't be justification for denying a category such as this.

Keith

Just about all the examples, even starting from the first post, will fit into the Silhouette Public Art Sculptures. Go back and see for yourself.

You want to make this a "heart" category, welcome signs category, or a tourist attraction category?

If you eliminate Silhouette Public Art Sculptures, What is left?

2 hours ago, ScroogieII said:

nobody expressed contrary opinion

I object!   

Actually, it was Torgut who said that.

Since this isn't my proposal, I can't say exactly in which direction the OP wishes to go, but it seems somewhat obvious to me.

My point was that, as Torgut stated, signs composed entirely of lettering really should never have been accepted into any of the "Art" categories. I can understand their acceptance, though, in that the category officers possibly felt that such pretty signs deserved a home somewhere, so they accepted them.

Keith

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, ScroogieII said:

Actually, it was Torgut who said that... ...

Oh look - there's a 666 sighting to be found above:

ScroogieII

• Premium Member
  • ScroogieII
  • +Premium Members
  • 666 posts
  •  
  • Unfortunately, this is going to be a fleeting thing - gone as soon as I post this and refresh the page.
  • Oh well, such is life.
Edited by ScroogieII
  • Funny 1

ok, to try to get this back on topic ...

I doubt this would be accepted in silhouette art. Yes, it is already waymarked in Water Towers. But, just because something COULD be cross posted should not exclude a new category. SO, thinking of more things like this, what other thoughts about things to waymark in this newly proposed category?

PS.  this is definitetly not a temporary item.

yukon wt.JPG

Edited by vulture1957

First of all, I would like to apologize for not speaking up in this thread, but my time that I could devote to Waymarking was significantly limited. I don't feel obligated to explain this, but I think it's good to clarify.

I haven't forgotten about the idea and have come to some conclusions. The initial vision for this category is not feasible, although I liked it very much. I can see how much of a problem it would be to accept or reject all signs, signs, or art installations with LOVE written on them, so that nothing conflicts with the other categories. The motive of "find expressed love" is nice, but this may lead to many, many waymarks being posted about every possible object.

The best direction seems to be the one proposed by Torgut, i.e. something like tourist art installations referring to a given place, region. And although many of them contain the word LOVE or heart, it is not always like that. So the category should not associate objects strictly with the context of love, but more the ones who are made for tourist or promotion of a certain region. If anyone thinks they have a good idea of how to define this category, please do. I unfortunately don't currently have one, so I won't undertake it. However, I will gladly "give the idea away" to those interested.

• Helpful 1
On 6/18/2021 at 5:41 PM, ScroogieII said:

Trust Tom to always be the one to be at the ballgame which provides the exception! :D

Keith

We have had several of these go up around town temporarily, especially down at our Union Station.  They are especially popular when our sports teams get ready for opening day or they go into the playoffs....

9 hours ago, sernikk said:

If anyone thinks they have a good idea of how to define this category, please do. I unfortunately don't currently have one, so I won't undertake it.

I am also bereft of light bulb moments in this vein. Such is life. It was a nice thought, though.

Possibly one day someone more enlightened that we will provide the answer.

Keith

Edited by ScroogieII