How many colorado cachers are going for the charter membership?

blind-dog

Hi BD,

I had no idea there even was a "charter membership", until I saw your thread this morning (yeah, I don't get out much .)

Here's the link:

http://www.geocaching.com/subscribe/

Quite I bit of discussion on the forums today, about paying $30 a year to support Geocaching.com. I think Jeremy's done an outstanding job promoting and managing the website and the sport.

However, this new "commercialization" of geocaching is a bit sad for me. I think I liked the sport better when it was smaller & less commercial (i.e., no travel bugs, hats, T-shirts, etc.), and less competative (no contests, cache dashes, etc.).

Everything changes or evolves but I guess I would prefer geocaching staying small and more personal. A year ago, I think I knew 90% of the geocachers in Colorado--all the newbies are nice, but I find miss the comradary of the "old guard".

I'd like to support Jeremy with a yearly donation, but economic times are too tight in my business. I can't afford presently to join PBS or this new charter membership. I'm forced to stay with the "free-geocache" rather than the new "pay-to-play" option.

Regards, T.

You two need to go read the forums! Caching is still for free. There will be caches for members only, that will not be accesible to non-charter members. 3/14 And there will still be to free caches for those that so desire.

This may help alleviate any cache jacking or interference from any regulatory agency. Because they will probably not get the MOC membership. So it does have some pros and cons just like anything else. icon_rolleyes.gif

The "Bushwhacker"

[This message was edited by The "Bushwhacker" on March 14, 2002 at 05:25 AM.]

You two need to go read the forums! Caching is still for free. There will be caches for members only, that will not be accesible to non-charter members. 3/14 And there will still be to free caches for those that so desire.

This may help alleviate any cache jacking or interference from any regulatory agency. Because they will probably not get the MOC membership. So it does have some pros and cons just like anything else. icon_rolleyes.gif

The "Bushwhacker"

[This message was edited by The "Bushwhacker" on March 14, 2002 at 05:25 AM.]

Hi BW

You wrote:

<< There will be caches for members only, that will not be accesible to non-charter members.

This may help alleviate any cache jacking or interference from any regulatory agency. So it does have some pros and cons just like anything else. >>

Please explain how your first sentence above doesn't denote a "Pay-to-Play" geocache option?

I think we all understand that there will remain a "free" geocache option, but I don't think divvying up geocachers into "member" and "non-member" groups is good for any grassroot sport.

Also, could you please explain how this new $30/year membership is going to alleviate regulatory agency interference? Do regulatory agencies really prefer dealing with commercial entities/corporations over the public??

Are you still volunteering for the USFS? Have you managed to change that agency's mind about geocaches NOT being "abandoned property"? Will the USFS/fortress ever let a modium of democracy over the moat and allow any public input/comment on their present geocaching rules and regulations?

Regards, T. icon_eek.gif

Hi BW

You wrote:

<< There will be caches for members only, that will not be accesible to non-charter members.

This may help alleviate any cache jacking or interference from any regulatory agency. So it does have some pros and cons just like anything else. >>

Please explain how your first sentence above doesn't denote a "Pay-to-Play" geocache option?

I think we all understand that there will remain a "free" geocache option, but I don't think divvying up geocachers into "member" and "non-member" groups is good for any grassroot sport.

Also, could you please explain how this new $30/year membership is going to alleviate regulatory agency interference? Do regulatory agencies really prefer dealing with commercial entities/corporations over the public??

Are you still volunteering for the USFS? Have you managed to change that agency's mind about geocaches NOT being "abandoned property"? Will the USFS/fortress ever let a modium of democracy over the moat and allow any public input/comment on their present geocaching rules and regulations?

Regards, T. icon_eek.gif

Hi BW,

You wrote:

<< Do you think the USFS is going to pay for a membership. As I said it MAY HELP ALLEVIATE.>>

Nope, I don't think the present USFS does anything remotely rational for geocaching. But, please stay on point: HOW MAY Pay-per-Play help ANY regulatory agency?? I know you're a bit emotional about the USFS, but try to stay on thread.

<>

Wow, questioning my geocaching creditials? OK--my "single" Dinosaur Ridge Colorado stash was the most popular geocache on the PLANET according to www.geocache.com during October-2001--(258 logged, televised on FoxTV, and each log-camera-photo-uploaded-to-my-website in the 365 days it existed). But you may be right, my Dino cache coulda been just a lucky location, and you must definately be a much more successful geocacher than I am based upon your finds/hides.

But I find it hard to defer to your "superior geocaching skills" when you don't rationally repond to anyone questioning your logic or statements on these forums. Please enlighten us.

If I remember right, BW--the last time other geocachers questioned your thinking or statements you just deleted the whole USFS-Forum thread you started.

BTW, BW, it's not considered polite to call anyone a "WHINER" when your motives or statements are questioned. You may indeed be a "superior geocacher", but I think your forum manners need a bit more polish.

Regards, T. icon_rolleyes.gif

Hi BW,

You wrote:

<< Do you think the USFS is going to pay for a membership. As I said it MAY HELP ALLEVIATE.>>

Nope, I don't think the present USFS does anything remotely rational for geocaching. But, please stay on point: HOW MAY Pay-per-Play help ANY regulatory agency?? I know you're a bit emotional about the USFS, but try to stay on thread.

<>

Wow, questioning my geocaching creditials? OK--my "single" Dinosaur Ridge Colorado stash was the most popular geocache on the PLANET according to www.geocache.com during October-2001--(258 logged, televised on FoxTV, and each log-camera-photo-uploaded-to-my-website in the 365 days it existed). But you may be right, my Dino cache coulda been just a lucky location, and you must definately be a much more successful geocacher than I am based upon your finds/hides.

But I find it hard to defer to your "superior geocaching skills" when you don't rationally repond to anyone questioning your logic or statements on these forums. Please enlighten us.

If I remember right, BW--the last time other geocachers questioned your thinking or statements you just deleted the whole USFS-Forum thread you started.

BTW, BW, it's not considered polite to call anyone a "WHINER" when your motives or statements are questioned. You may indeed be a "superior geocacher", but I think your forum manners need a bit more polish.

Regards, T. icon_rolleyes.gif

Hey I really didn't want this to get into a debate about USFS, thats a completely different animal, and should be addressed in a different thread. As far as the insults and put downs, we need to stick together if we are ever going to tackle the big nasty USFS. Because if we don't stick together and discuss things at a rational level ,we as a community will fail. OK I'll get off my soapbox for now! icon_wink.gif

Hey I really didn't want this to get into a debate about USFS, thats a completely different animal, and should be addressed in a different thread. As far as the insults and put downs, we need to stick together if we are ever going to tackle the big nasty USFS. Because if we don't stick together and discuss things at a rational level ,we as a community will fail. OK I'll get off my soapbox for now! icon_wink.gif

well i don't know anything about how the USFS is involved, or not, or why people here are arguing, but i'm also a bit disenchanted by the membership thing. however, i do have mixed feelings... as for needing more resources, i'd imagine, though i'm no expert, that it wouldn't be hard to get some sort of corporate sponsorship for the sport. heck, get garmin or magellan to give up some cash, we're all buying their gear anyhow. it's publicity for the gear we already use, but the newbies have questions about. i'd think that having a banner with a link to magellan or garmin wouldn't be at all out of place since it's completely related to the sport, so it wouldn't commercialize the site any more. however, on the other hand i don't think that $30 a year is a bad price to pay. i pay about that much for a yearly colorado state park pass and paid much more for my gear and software. membership does just seem sort of "elitist" though... i mean, i'm not PRO geocacher like BW or TJ, whatever pro means, and i think that a membership would just solidify the supposed border between the "real" geocachers and the rest of us, basically creating social classifications or whatever, even though i'm sure we're all judged by some simply by the number of caches we've hit. but i'm not concerned about that because i don't care if anybody thinks i'm elite, pro, amateur, or whatever, but if the sport is growing and we're already arguing about it i can see it being one more stumbling block in what is supposed to be just good fun while getting out. ah, if worst comes to worst and the sport loses funding we can always fall back on alt.geocaching (or whatever) to keep up with each other and the caches, but i think there's definitely a way to keep this sport free to everybody while minimizing the segregation and maintaining the original concept, to just get out and have fun with the hunt.

It always amazes me how many people are unwilling to pay for good service, and then wonder why people get tired of providing service for free icon_rolleyes.gif

I don't know maybe someone would like having a place to live and feed the kids.

Geocaching.com is a well run operation, that deserves compensation, End of line.

It always amazes me how many people are unwilling to pay for good service, and then wonder why people get tired of providing service for free icon_rolleyes.gif

I don't know maybe someone would like having a place to live and feed the kids.

Geocaching.com is a well run operation, that deserves compensation, End of line.

I have become a charter member to help pay for a great site.

When I place new caches in my area, I plan on making it available to charter members for the first few weeks. I have spent more on gas and trade items than the charter membership cost.

I believe the main portion of the site needs to remain free for new cachers, so they can see what caching is about. Then they can choose to get more and pay a little for it.

yeah, i think you're right... the majority of the site should be free, and having a members section is a good way to pay for the service. i'm pretty sure i'm going to register, but then again i'd just as soon not have it show that i'm a "charter member". in fact, if there weren't member benefits i'd still probably donate to the cause if they even asked, i think that would be a great option. i'm sure there are people out there who would be glad to donate more than the required $30 per year. i guess it just goes with your belief system. i believe in not excluding those who are misfortunate financially, such as those who might have gotten a gps as a gift and hooked it up to their 486. this is mainly because i grew up pretty poor, however i don't think that geocaching.com is doing that at all. i just hope it never gets there...