Disappearing waymarks

The only TGI Friday's restaurant in Austria has not survived the pandemic and will be closed. In times apart from the different lockdowns they were missing the foreign tourists. So, I will watch the future of it (maybe someone else will make another TGI Friday's restaurant in the same location or it will be gone forever) and maybe one day add "REMOVED" to that waymark. :(

I expect that several other waymarks in other categories (restaurants, cinemas, etc.) will disappear. Any similar situations in your part of the world?

I am here to learn what to do with a Waymark that is outdated.  This sounds like the same topic.  I posted a Waymark for a visitor center and now that visitor center has moved.  What should be done with the Waymark?  (WM145EP) 

Update the Waymark with new coordinates and photo and website?

Put  "REMOVED" somewhere in the Waymark (where?) as suggested above?   And post a new Waymark for the new location?

We've seen a few other Waymarks in town for which the business is gone, but haven't noticed that they were updated. 

We tried to go to the (old) visitor center today and didn't know it had closed until we got home and I asked google when the open hours were. 

I feel sad that my Waymark is now not helpful. 

48 minutes ago, r.e.s.t.seekers said:

I am here to learn what to do with a Waymark that is outdated.  This sounds like the same topic.  I posted a Waymark for a visitor center and now that visitor center has moved.  What should be done with the Waymark?  (WM145EP) 

Update the Waymark with new coordinates and photo and website?

Put  "REMOVED" somewhere in the Waymark (where?) as suggested above?   And post a new Waymark for the new location?

We've seen a few other Waymarks in town for which the business is gone, but haven't noticed that they were updated. 

We tried to go to the (old) visitor center today and didn't know it had closed until we got home and I asked google when the open hours were. 

I feel sad that my Waymark is now not helpful. 

I have a waymark just like that -- a city/town hall (Waymark Code: WMJK5P). About a year after I made the waymark, they bought a new building and moved. I changed the original waymark  to read that it has been updated and moved; and marked it [-Legacy-], then posted the new location as a new waymark. This leaves the history of the town, that the town hall had been at a different location.

The other option, just as good, is to just change the long description to tell about the old location, then put the info about the new location.  Both options are good, just your preference.

I think, it also depends whether your waymark has visits or not. If f.e. I would have visited the old town hall and then the WM owner would change it to the new location (with new photos, coordinates, text etc.), it would show a visit that in fact never happened. So, if there are visits, I would keep the old one, as vulture1957 said and make a new WM for the new building. But if the WM has no visits at all, you might chose option 2 and change the old WM.

On 7/17/2021 at 11:59 AM, vulture1957 said:

I hope you did a News Article Location for the town.

Whatever would make you think that I hadn't? Oh, of course ---- you're not an officer in News Article Locations.

This is the one I posted with the rewrite of my now gone Waymarks in Lytton. The one I used in News Article Locations was the same. It was one of the earliest news articles to reach the public. I did that in somewhat of a lefthanded manner, still unsure of how I wanted to handle the loss of an entire town in just minutes. Fortunately, after all who fled were accounted for, there proved to be only two deaths, truly a miraculous number, considering the speed with which the fire passed through the town.

Sad, sad situation. An entire town gone in just a few minutes, and now officials are looking into the very real possibility that the fire may have been "Human caused". Investigations remain underway.

Keith

Edited by ScroogieII