what happened to queries for caches along a route?

Windows Pro Firefox, TamperMonkey scripts running on the site

I just ran one an  existing saved route.  Ran fine.

I did not try creating a new route, just FYI.

The error messaging on Caches along a route has never been good. I'd try a shorter route first. See if you can generate something that for sure will not have more than 500 caches.

Edited by Isonzo Karst

I tried that as well.  Both existing routes and new ones. Same error message. 

I just tried a new route in western OK, only 81miles long, with 1000 C limit. 

That one still generated the same error message, but when I checked my PQ list, it was there.

So I tried the longer one again. When I did not check a day to generate ( so I could see the qty) same error message, but PQ was generated (with unknown qty). So I checked today to generate, and it did generate a PQ to download.

So, it looks like when I try PQ's for caches along a route, it always gives the same error message no matter what. But it does set up a PQ, just no visibility of it or of the qty of caches anymore when I do not check a day to generate. And when I do check to generate it today, it will generate a 'PQ Ready for Download' with the qty of caches (waypoints). 

But if the waypoint qty is more than the 1000 limit, I do not know if it crashes or truncates at 1000. 

Still not good! But somewhat workable.

I did find out that it was ALWAYS (I think) generating a PQ every time it generated the error message, but they were way down at the end of my list of over 100 PQ's. 

Needs to be fixed!!

I would love to be able to download Pocket Queries, which I could select the borders for. A map where the mouse could be moved, click and a border would be formed. Then caches within that would be loaded.

I would still download Pocket Queries as I do now for when I'm at home, but being able to select borders when I am travelling would be VERY useful.

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 1
9 hours ago, Goldenwattle said:

I would love to be able to download Pocket Queries, which I could select the borders for. A map where the mouse could be moved, click and a border would be formed. Then caches within that would be loaded.

I would still download Pocket Queries as I do now for when I'm at home, but being able to select borders when I am travelling would be VERY useful.

I'd vote for that, I do fear that features directed towards GPS users aren't really front and centre at HQ these days..... :(

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, kunarion said:

You also cannot draw a route or polygon area in The App.

If someone is planning an extended  journey, that's hard and would be more time consuming to do on an app. That's much easier to research and do on a computer with a bigger screen, which gives a better overview of where the journey will go. This doesn't need to be done on the app. If someone wants to do this and prepare a serious journey (I have done this for weeks, even months) they can do this on the computer, and leave the app to those who are happy just to find the nearest cache. Presuming that is, they have mobile coverage. Many places I might go in Australia, don't.

It's also easier on a computer to know which way up the map is.

Edited by Goldenwattle
  • Upvote 1
On 6/7/2021 at 5:56 PM, ZROZRO7 said:

I just tried again and got the same error message 

It says:

Your request resulted in an error. Please check Geocaching on Twitter for updates. We apologize for the inconvenience.

and it has a clickable link to 'Geocaching home' that takes me to :   https://www.geocaching.com/play/search

Totally worthless!!

And I don't use twitter

error 500.png

This looks like the same error message I get.  Look in your list of PQs to see if it's there anyway.  Mine have been working just fine, in spite of the error message.

Pocket Queries for caches along a route will show up in the Official Geocaching Apps just like any other Pocket Query.  If you are using your Smartphone in an area without good cell coverage, or just to save on data usage, save the cache and map information by clicking on "Download Offline Data."

I just created a new user route from scratch, then created a pocket query for the route, and then downloaded the results on my iPhone.  It took about 10 minutes total.  I did not see any error messages.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 2