horreos

Hello

Recently was denied a WM of mine withan hórreo in the cathegory of barnS.

The question I throw is whether it is global enough to launch a category or, better still, to include it in granaries, since if there are many categories it would not be bad to include the possibilities of other countries and continents, not just the USA.

https://gl.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hórreo

Thanks

IMG_20210607_082932.jpg

Edited by Ariberna

These aerial barns are really interesting and some look to be very historic. I can see why it was denied in the Barns category since these raised structures don't really fit into the mission of the category. But I also see aerial barns as something the Barns category officers could add to the category as an amendment instead of creating an entirely new category for them.

I'm assuming they're not that common, but they seem to have enough presence (at least across Europe) to justify a new category if it came to that. I personally find them interesting and somewhat 'quirky' and would definitely make a point of stopping to take photos one one if I happened upon one in my travels (probably not in the United States, but maybe?). :D

It seems to me that this subject was broached a few years ago. Though I'll likely never see one, it seems that their uniqueness and historical value are unequivocal.

Someone more familiar with these really should make an attempt at either a new category, or inclusion in an existing category.

As Ariberna suggests, how about Grain Elevators? Both a Grain Elevator and a Hórreo require that the material to be stored be "elevated" prior to storage, hence there's at least a vague similarity between the two.

North America has somewhat similar structures - Elevated Meat Caches.

Keith

Edited by ScroogieII
3 hours ago, PISA-caching said:

I know. But if I search for "horreo" there, I get 39 results.

That's true, Andreas, but if I search for "Courthouse" on the database for Canadian National Historic Sites I'll get several hits. That doesn't mean, however, that the courthouse in my town is a Canadian National Historic Site, which it isn't.

Keith

Along this line, however, what do you think of a new category entitled "Elevated Buildings", "Buildings on Stilts", something like that? I've been thinking about that for a couple of days now, mulling over its possibilities. Hórreos would be an inclusion, as would lookout towers (a category from 2006) and elevated food & fur caches. Surely there are more possibilities. According to the Hórreos Wiki they are near worldwide in extent. Lookout towers are not terribly uncommon.

Check out This Waymark.

BTW, in my vision, residential structures would be EXcluded.

Keith

Edited by ScroogieII
13 hours ago, ScroogieII said:

That's true, Andreas, but if I search for "Courthouse" on the database for Canadian National Historic Sites I'll get several hits. That doesn't mean, however, that the courthouse in my town is a Canadian National Historic Site, which it isn't.

Keith

My IQ is more than 10. :D That's why I asked "Have you tried ...". The initial post included a photo of a horreo and I wanted to know if this one is (coincidentally) one of the 39 found in the database. And the answer of Ariberna sounded as if there were no horreos at all in that database and all I wanted to say is, that there ARE 39 horreos in it.

Edited by PISA-caching
  • Funny 1