Continuously getting text suggestions when logging a find.

marvin_gardens

I'm using the latest Firefox (recently upgraded) on Windows7.   When log my finds, I keep getting suggestions for text.  I can hit escape to clear it but it keeps coming back.  Anyone else seeing it?  Not sure if its the geocaching website or Firefox.  Firefox on my phone (Android) is doing the same thing. Its only happening when I log a find. My notes section does not seem affected.

Any suggestions on how to clear it?

Logging_Suggestions.JPG.44dddf56eb6102d5e14e216c0dfe0303.JPG

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 1
  • Surprised 2

Great catch.

That has no business popping up when there's a bunch of text after the "@".

For times like this, we have the "Opt out" link.  (On the opted-out side, for a few years now it has said, "We're working on a new logging experience."  Until they finish it, I do hope they keep the opt-out feature.)

• Upvote 1

I think Hügh is correct. It is the @ sign that is causing it.  The first time when I saw this behaviour on my phone it was also "FTF @ (time)".  Even as I type this, if I enter "@ <space>" it comes up with suggestions, but as I continue to type, it goes away.  When I do the same action writing a log, the suggestions keep popping up. 

5 hours ago, marvin_gardens said:

When I do the same action writing a log, the suggestions keep popping up.

This is a bug. The tagging function should only be offering your friends as suggestions, which should quickly all be eliminated as options as you keep typing (this is probably what's happening on your phone). For you, it seems to be looking up any user in the database rather than just limiting to your friends.

I would think this would all be handled on the server side, but maybe Windows 7 is having some effect on the behaviour. Do you have access to a computer running Windows 10 to see what happens there?

• Upvote 1

This was happening on both my phone and Windows7.  In both cases it did not go away and it made it hard to see what I just typed as the popup would hide the text underneath.  I do not have access to a Windows10 machine to try it.  I do not have any friends set up in my geocaching account.  

I first saw it on my phone and I almost never use my phone to log finds (just FTFs as a courtesy to other local cachers) so I didn't think much of it.  To me it was just another quirk using the mobile version of Firefox/geocaching.com combination.

Edited by marvin_gardens