What is wrong with the coordinate box today?

I am trying to lighten my back log today and I am creating lots of waymarks. But every time I go to the second page to add some pictures, the coordinates in the first page have been messed up; E is changed to W, the coordinates are changed to 00.0000 and 00.0000. It really is annoying as a simple change to the coordinates in the first page leads to the message "You haven't made any changes to the page" so I'm obligated to change something in the text itself. It takes several attemps to get the coordinates right. Is it just me or is Waymarking.com having an off-day?

When I'm submitting a waymark in Germany East changes often to West. Mainly when the listing has some variables that must be filled in. Thankfully the change to West points into the Atlantic in most cases, so the blue image is an indicator to go back to the edit page. Also this change *may* happen, when editing the text because you discovered a typo in it. This is something I accepted, but should be worth a look of the developers.

The behaviour of changing the coordinate value back to zero has not occurred to me and hopefully never will, since your description of the behaviour sounds really awful to me.

40 minutes ago, FamilieFrohne said:

This is something I accepted, but should be worth a look of the developers

Amen to that.

I have been using Decimal Degrees again lately, since that's how coords come off the GPS, and I really don't want to take the time to convert them.

Waymarking has NEVER treated Decimal Degrees kindly, usually requiring going round again to reinsert the coords, but now it has gotten worse, often requiring 2 and even 3 trips around to get  the coords accepted. In the "good old days", after a couple of waymarks, the next WM posted would present me with the selector already set to Decimal Degrees and they'd be accepted first time around. That almost never happens now!

Keith

• Funny 1
On 6/6/2021 at 3:14 PM, Becktracker said:

I am trying to lighten my back log today and I am creating lots of waymarks. But every time I go to the second page to add some pictures, the coordinates in the first page have been messed up; E is changed to W, the coordinates are changed to 00.0000 and 00.0000. It really is annoying as a simple change to the coordinates in the first page leads to the message "You haven't made any changes to the page" so I'm obligated to change something in the text itself. It takes several attemps to get the coordinates right. Is it just me or is Waymarking.com having an off-day?

I've experienced that behaviour several times. The fact that East is changed to West is still happening every now and then. Every few weeks I look at "My Waymarks" and take a closer look to the small map in the upper right corner. I then go through to the last few pages and sometimes I find one of my waymarks in the sea, where I and the officer didn't notice that the East has been changed to West.

The loss of the entire coordinates (changing to 00.0000 and 00.0000) has happened to us also, but very rarely. 

Yes, the east to west thing happens to me almost in every Waymark i create, because i often write a bit, save it and see something wrong on the Review page and have to re-edit it.

The Coordinates resetting to 00.0000 has started to happen recently (though i only started Waymarking not long ago and don't have that much experience yet).

I'm on same boat. Every time I do edit waymark which is not yet published, turns E to W. Rarely it stays as it supposed to stay. 00.0000 zeros do happen time to time. Been doing lot of my WM´s with phone and it's really frustrating to go back and forward with pages and double / triple check the coordinates. Don't know has this something to done with cookies or just code of page?

You must be just lucky! Try submitting a Waymark from Australia, not only does East change to West but South also changes North , don't even think about parking co-ords as these can only be rectified after the Waymark has been approved and then may require 3 or 4 attempts

• Funny 1
On 6/14/2021 at 4:20 AM, GPSKaninchen said:

The Coordinates resetting to 00.0000 has started to happen recently (though i only started Waymarking not long ago and don't have that much experience yet).

Yes, I've noticed that too. Back in the day (about 10 years or so ago) this was super frequent and annoying, especially when I manually typed in my coordinates. But it seems like the automatic reset of coords to 00.000 is back after a few year hiatus. It tends to happen if you are on the edit screen for a while and didn't click the save button to actually create the draft. Once you create the draft, the coords seem to stick.

On 6/16/2021 at 9:57 AM, Smurffaaja said:

I'm on same boat. Every time I do edit waymark which is not yet published, turns E to W. Rarely it stays as it supposed to stay. 00.0000 zeros do happen time to time. Been doing lot of my WM´s with phone and it's really frustrating to go back and forward with pages and double / triple check the coordinates. Don't know has this something to done with cookies or just code of page?

Terve serkku! Last time I looked I wasn't seeing your Waytour. Got it done yet?

Keith

(I know, off topic. Sorry Becktracker.)

I find this quite helpful workaround ...

I always fill  the coordinates in DecDeg format
 after filling (without saving) I switch DecDeg to DMS and immediately back to DecDeg

the note: after switching to DMS the coordinates are almost always set to 0, after switching to DecDeg the values are restored

only then will I save

it almost always works for me

• Surprised 1

Misery loves company -- I, too, have always experienced Coordinates Loss.

The method/workaround that is successful about 95 per cent of the time for me:

1. Toss the coords at the top of the "Long Description" box before anything else.
  2. Fill out everything else including ticking the two "Yes, I agree" terms and conditions boxes.
  3. Just before moving on to the photo uploading, select "Decimal Degrees", then copy and paste the north then west digits in their corresponding fields
  4. Click the "Save and Continue" button as quickly as possible...It seems as if there's also a very limited window of time to make the coord fields stick even if I follow my standard sequence.
  5. After all my photos are uploaded and I return to the pre-submission stage, AND the map displays the location correctly, that is when I cycle through the "Edit"...once more...this time deleting the coords I had originally pasted in the "Long Description" box to tidy things up for the final presentation.

Maybe disappearing coordinates is an unannounced bit game play intentionally built in to this thing!? (OK, Waymarking, we get it. Ha, ha. Very funny. Please fix, thankyouverymuch.)

I know, I know....

I've been all through this several times through the years, changing my methodology several times, attacking the problem in different ways as each of my methods eventually failed.

My suggestion is this: (and I'm almost sure I've written it before)

Just bite the bullet, start yourself an Excel or Open Office spread sheet and plug your coords in, convert them with a VERY SIMPLE formula, then use degrees and minutes coords for all of your submissions.

As I said, I've been through this many times through the years and I no longer wish to fight "The Man". Do it my way and you won't have to grind your teeth and clench your fists each time your coords aren't accepted in the future!!!

Independence is one thing, but its hindering your accomplishments is another, counterproductive, thing.

As for the East - West - North - South changes which occur: That bothers me, as well, but I can't offer a fix. I get the odd WM in which the E-W or N-S coords have obviously been switched. If, as a reviewer, I just switch them and the rest of the coords seem OK, i just approve the WM and let it go at that, because it doesn't happen regularly.

Keith

I've been adding some new waymarks for a while. I would say that the bug described in this thread has gotten worse. When I insert the coordinates in DecDeg format copied from the map portal, it goes through without a problem. When I change the format to DMS, the coordinate values disappear and are replaced with just zeros.
So not only Waymarking.com assume that the participant is only northwest hemisphere, it spontaneously changes the coordinates already entered and saved once   now it doesn't even know how to convert between the different formats.

• Surprised 1
On 5/21/2022 at 9:24 AM, ToRo61 said:

I'm really amazed today...

this is the result of format conversion by Waymarking.com

50.0908464 14.4012206 DegDec =   N 50°5.2706'  E 50°5.2706'  DMS

before

before.jpg

after

after.jpg

Well, my man, I can only hope that is a sign of onwardness & upwardness, but I shall keep my fingers crossed, as, in the past, I too have experienced brief moments of lucidity on behalf of the Groundspeak Coords Conversion Algorithms.

Keith

I think I have observed two phenomena in this regard.

1. Sometimes, I create new WMs and instantly see an "E" there, while most of the time there is a "W". When I then enter the coordinates and save the WM, they are often 0.0000 and  I have to reenter them. Meanwhile I usually paste the coordinates in the short description field, just to be sure to have them at hand after saving the WM.
  2. This behaviour happens most of time (I think), when I have created other WMs before in the same browser window.
  • Helpful 1