Too Many Caches = denied opportunities for others to participate

On 7/4/2021 at 6:07 AM, Ragnemalm said:

We all know the citation "When you go to hide a geocache, think of the reason you are bringing people to that spot. If the only reason is for the geocache, then find a better spot." But few care about that.

That descriptive has always stuck in my craw a bit, to be honest. I'm all for the 'we all are free to play the game our own way' mantra. My mantra happens to be putting a lot of effort into (hopefully) fun container builds. So yes, sometimes my only reason for placing a hide IS for the geocache. I have not had many complaints so far.

As for the original subject of the thread; would I prefer it if some of the saturated parks in my area opened up so I could put some new hides in? You bet. At my current stage of the hobby, I'm not much interested in having to maintain anything more than 10 miles from my home coordinates, and the locations are getting thin, especially because I avoid micros in urban areas (that mantra thing again - you be you). I have a stack of 5 series-themed containers that have been sitting in my garage for months because I'm having difficulty finding an area close enough to place them to my liking.

Do I fault the other players that got to those locations first with their hides? Nope. That's just the way the satellite bounces.

• Upvote 2
  • Funny 1
8 hours ago, Lostboy1966 said:

That descriptive has always stuck in my craw a bit, to be honest. I'm all for the 'we all are free to play the game our own way' mantra. My mantra happens to be putting a lot of effort into (hopefully) fun container builds. So yes, sometimes my only reason for placing a hide IS for the geocache. I have not had many complaints so far.

I think gadget caches would be the perfect exception from that statement. It is much more relevant for cache bombs, filling an entire area with petlings.

13 hours ago, Ragnemalm said:

I think gadget caches would be the perfect exception from that statement. It is much more relevant for cache bombs, filling an entire area with petlings.

I don't do gadget caches (yet), I just enjoy making odd containers. Not gonna lie, I've been playing since 2005 and had to look up what a 'petling' was. I assumed it was some kind of weird furry-like fetish, now I see it's just those preform micro containers. Glad to see I was wrong! :lol: Either way, not my style of hide, but to each their own... :)

• Funny 1
  • Surprised 1
On 7/14/2021 at 10:22 PM, Lostboy1966 said:

I don't do gadget caches (yet), I just enjoy making odd containers. Not gonna lie, I've been playing since 2005 and had to look up what a 'petling' was. I assumed it was some kind of weird furry-like fetish, now I see it's just those preform micro containers. Glad to see I was wrong! :lol: Either way, not my style of hide, but to each their own... :)

The border between a gadget cache and a custom container is kind of floating. Custom containers can be fun and definitely are more fun to find than yet another petling. And you are not likely to place 100 of them at the same time, filling every possible spot.