Bot Logging Accounts

What are people's thoughts on the existence of bot accounts and Groundspeak's position to not delete/ban these accounts? I understand the rationale of: spam accounts are only cheating themselves, but it does have an impact on others, e.g. filtering for lonely caches. There is an account I've noticed travel_pilot, which is obviously a bot based on the logs. I tried to contact them to understand why they wrote a bot logging program, but I'm curious if anyone else has insight or thoughts on this.

• Upvote 3
  • Funny 3
3 hours ago, yervel said:

There is an account I've noticed travel_pilot, which is obviously a bot based on the logs.

I have read the last three logs. They are short but individual and I don't see why this cacher should be a bot?!

The person/bot has logged about a 1,000 caches in one year (a little more) which does not seem too unbelievable.

Can you proove your claim of travel_pilot being a bot? Thanks!

Jochen

• Upvote 3
  • Helpful 2
4 hours ago, yervel said:

What are people's thoughts on the existence of bot accounts and Groundspeak's position to not delete/ban these accounts?

I understand the rationale of: spam accounts are only cheating themselves, but it does have an impact on others, e.g. filtering for lonely caches. There is an account I've noticed travel_pilot, which is obviously a bot based on the logs.

I tried to contact them to understand why they wrote a bot logging program, but I'm curious if anyone else has insight or thoughts on this.

"Translated" from French... random logs.

"i decide to rent a car today, so i could do some more miles :-). However I am very surprised to have found -- At school --. Thx again!"

"I enjoy being outside, taking a breath, and then doing a little journey to find a box. Great that i found geocache with difficulty 1.5 again after the time."

"Today I get time to do logging for some caches that I found some days ago. Great that i found geocache with difficulty 1.5 again after the time."

Similar to frostengel I guess, I don't see how this is "obviously" a bot when sorta-translated by google.     Please explain.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

In regards to this specific user being a bot, the logs are extremely similar and clearly follow a semi-randomized pattern of preprogrammed sentences some of which include variables for the cache title, cache owner, coordinates, and rating.

As far as the actual finds I'll pick a random recent day, May 2, 2021. They found 42 caches (as of this writing). About half of them were on cape cod, a bunch in New Jersey, one in Pennsylvania, one in New Hampshire, a handful in various other Massachusetts towns, one in England and three in France.

As far as logs go, here is a sampling of logs which illustrate the randomizing algorithm used to create them.

i decide to rent a car today, so i could do some more miles :-).
i decide to rent a car today, so i could do some more miles :-).Great that i found geocache with difficulty 1.5 again after the time.
i decide to rent a car today, so i could do some more miles :-).Great that i found geocache with difficulty 1.5 again after the time.
I never expected to get this here! Thank you Team Perrydise for this cache be placed by you here. Did not expect this to be here since the last log was almost a year ago and wasn't even gonna look given the bushwacking until SorcererScott whipped out his mystical machete. Traditionals are my favorites!
I never expected to get this here! Today i land here. And I am proud to find some geocaches in 42° 21′ 51.65″ N, 71° 0′ 18.65″ W. Thank you WaldenRun for this cache be placed by you here.
Nice to find this little Cache. Great that i found geocache with difficulty 1.5 again after the time.
Nice to find this little Cache. Great that i found geocache with difficulty 1.5 again after the time. I don't dare do more than terrain 1.5 at all. We signed both - we did also find what seems to be the "real" Rocky Meadow Brook cache. Traditionals are my favorites!
Nice to find this little Cache. Thank you Hipointer and Capiti for this cache be placed by you here. thank you for helping me get some of the Wonders of the World souvenirs. Traditionals are my favorites!
Nice to find this little Cache. Today i land here. And I am proud to find some geocaches in 42° 21′ 51.65″ N, 71° 0′ 18.65″ W. Thank you Hipointer and Capiti for this cache be placed by you here.
Now that I found some boxes, I am not a newbee in Geocaching and got this :-). Thank you Hipointer and Capiti for this cache be placed by you here. I don't dare do more than terrain 2.0 at all.
Now that I found some boxes, I am not a newbee in Geocaching and got this :-). Today i land here. And I am proud to find some geocaches in 42° 21′ 51.65″ N, 71° 0′ 18.65″ W. Thank you CarlK47 for this cache be placed by you here.
Now that I found some boxes, I am not a newbee in Geocaching and got this :-). Today i land here. And I am proud to find some geocaches in 42° 21′ 51.65″ N, 71° 0′ 18.65″ W. Thank you Kbobkat for this cache be placed by you here.
The last few days were so stressful that I once again indulged in my hobby. However I am very surprised to have found -- Lucky's Dad Old Party Times --. Thx again! Great that i found geocache with difficulty 1.5 again after the time. I don't dare do more than terrain 2.0 at all. The brush was more overgrown than I thought and that made it very difficult to find the little clearing where it was hiding. Traditionals are my favorites!
The last few days were so stressful that I once again indulged in my hobby. Thank you Hipointer and Capiti for this cache be placed by you here. A quick find that was spotted from the trail. Traditionals are my favorites!
This one was hard to find for me.
This one was hard to find for me. Great that i found geocache with difficulty 1.5 again after the time.
This one was hard to find for me. However I am very surprised to have found -- In the Pine --. Thx again! Great that i found geocache with difficulty 1.5 again after the time. I don't dare do more than terrain 1.5 at all. Easy find but needs a new log, it’s completely filled and I did not have fresh paper to put in. Traditionals are my favorites!
This one was hard to find for me. Today i land here. And I am proud to find some geocaches in 42° 21′ 51.65″ N, 71° 0′ 18.65″ W. Thank you gebart for this cache be placed by you here.
Today I get time to do logging for some caches that I found some days ago.However I am very surprised to have found -- Myles standish equestrian trail --. Thx again! This was quite a walk as we didn't park in the correct parking, but still a nice enjoyable stroll. Traditionals are my favorites!
Today I get time to do logging for some caches that I found some days ago.Today i land here. And I am proud to find some geocaches in 42° 21′ 51.65″ N, 71° 0′ 18.65″ W. Thank you MOEMOE for this cache be placed by you here.
Today i take a walk out of my hotel to do some geocaching.
Today i take a walk out of my hotel to do some geocaching. Great that i found geocache with difficulty 1.5 again after the time.
Today i take a walk out of my hotel to do some geocaching. However I am very surprised to have found -- R U Thirsty?? --. Thx again! Great that i found geocache with difficulty 1.5 again after the time. I don't dare do more than terrain 2.0 at all. We were spending the weekend in Westport, but we ventured over into Plymouth to find a few challenge caches in the Miles Standish state forest. Traditionals are my favorites!
Today i take a walk out of my hotel to do some geocaching. Thank you Hipointer and Capiti for this cache be placed by you here. I don't dare do more than terrain 1.5 at all.
Today i take a walk out of my hotel to do some geocaching. Thank you z-gang for this cache be placed by you here. I don't dare do more than terrain 1.0 at all.
  • Upvote 3

It could very well be a person who is not a creative writer, and falls back on common phrases.  I do something similar, in that I write the same thing, only phrased differently:  "On our way to XXX...", "While traveling to XXX...", "Our route to XXX...", "Our journey to XXX..".  Programs like GSAK also allow you to insert pieces of data from the cache info automatically, so it's hard to say bot or not.

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1

Including 100% consistency on typos? 

Today i take a walk out of my hotel to do some geocaching - always lower case i

Now that I found some boxes - always upper case I

It's not common phrases, it's exact copy/paste with randomization of each sentence fragment.

I wasn't really out to prove a case on this account. I reported them for being a bot and HQ wouldn't ban them. My question to the forum was more in reaction to HQ being fine with bot/spam accounts, and wondered what the opinion here on bot/spam accounts was, and I guess the general consensus is 'but maybe not a bot so fine'.

To me I look at the detail of this account, the logs being clearly computer-generated, the Ferris Buehler's day off unreality of finding those caches in a day, and it is clear this is a bot logging caches. I personally would like to keep the hobby/community a bit cleaner, less spam/fake logs. But not going to lose my mind over it if I'm in the minority.

Edited by yervel
  • Upvote 2
  • Funny 1
25 minutes ago, yervel said:

I reported them for being a bot and HQ wouldn't ban them.

26 minutes ago, yervel said:

To me I look at the detail of this account, the logs being clearly computer-generated, the Ferris Buehler's day off unreality of finding those caches in a day, and it is clear this is a bot logging caches.

It's your opinion that this account is a bot. Groundspeak doesn't share that opinion. The logs you've posted in this thread points to mangled english translations and/or someone that has odd logging practices but none of what you've posted is proof that it's a bot account. I think you're falling into the confirmation bias trap. 

• Upvote 3
1 hour ago, yervel said:

As far as the actual finds I'll pick a random recent day, May 2, 2021. They found 42 caches (as of this writing). About half of them were on cape cod, a bunch in New Jersey, one in Pennsylvania, one in New Hampshire, a handful in various other Massachusetts towns, one in England and three in France.

Whether a bot or a person, they are armchair loggers to have managed all those countries (USA, UK and France) in one day, and the account should be locked and the logs deleted. If they logged my caches and I didn't find a signature, I would delete them, but frustratingly some COs don't care. They let the logs stay and by that, encourage false logs.

• Upvote 5
7 hours ago, Goldenwattle said:

Whether a bot or a person, they are armchair loggers to have managed all those countries (USA, UK and France) in one day, and the account should be locked and the logs deleted. If they logged my caches and I didn't find a signature, I would delete them, but frustratingly some COs don't care. They let the logs stay and by that, encourage false logs.

Some people log all their vacation caches when they get home and don't bother trying to get the date accurate.

Armchair loggers often deliberately target caches where the CO appears inactive and thus wont check their log in any way, and also non-physical caches where they have gotten a cheat sheet of answers so they can provide information if the CO follows up asking for the required info that should have been sent unprompted.

1 minute ago, JL_HSTRE said:

Armchair loggers often deliberately target caches where the CO appears inactive and thus wont check their log in any way

This may-be-bot has logged about 1,000 caches in about 10 month so 100 caches per month.

The caches are mostly easy traditionals. There's one terrain 4, others are terrain 2.5 and lower, taken away three caches all are difficulty 2 or lower.

If the cacher wanted to boast the statistics by using a bot it is a very - very - bad bot.

A good bot would try to log:

- more caches

- harder caches (D and T)

- different cache types

Perhaps it's a social experiment or the person ist too lazy to write logs by himself but I am sure it's not the try to build up a big statistics (which is hidden by the way) to show others how great they are.

So far I haven't been convinced. Some things are strange - I agree - but there isn't any proof. Has the cacher logged one of your caches and the name is not in the logbook?

• Upvote 1
9 hours ago, yervel said:

the logs are extremely similar and clearly follow a semi-randomized pattern of preprogrammed sentences 

There was an individual who, for the longest time, only ever wrote "Thanks for the cache!" in their logs. They occasionally added a smiley at the end; almost never posted photos. Often typos in one log carried over into others from the same day/week. Some of us thought that they were cheating, but no. They're real, and very much honest people. IIRC they got to around 10,000 finds before they started to consistently write "good" logs. 

Point is, I don't think language alone should be used to assess if someone or cheating or not. Other factors, like logging caches in multiple countries in a day, during a pandemic, can point to armchair logging. However the only valid method of verifying their finds is to go out there and check if their name is in the logbook. Until then, innocent until proven guilty. 

Edited by Hügh
  • Upvote 4
  • Helpful 1
12 hours ago, yervel said:

In regards to this specific user being a bot, the logs are extremely similar and clearly follow a semi-randomized pattern of preprogrammed sentences some of which include variables for the cache title, cache owner, coordinates, and rating.

As far as logs go, here is a sampling of logs which illustrate the randomizing algorithm used to create them.

i decide to rent a car today, so i could do some more miles :-).
I never expected to get this here! Thank you Team Perrydise for this cache be placed by you here. Did not expect this to be here since the last log was almost a year ago and wasn't even gonna look given the bushwacking until SorcererScott whipped out his mystical machete. Traditionals are my favorites!
I never expected to get this here! Today i land here. And I am proud to find some geocaches in 42° 21′ 51.65″ N, 71° 0′ 18.65″ W. Thank you WaldenRun for this cache be placed by you here.
Nice to find this little Cache. Great that i found geocache with difficulty 1.5 again after the time.
Nice to find this little Cache. Great that i found geocache with difficulty 1.5 again after the time. I don't dare do more than terrain 1.5 at all. We signed both - we did also find what seems to be the "real" Rocky Meadow Brook cache. Traditionals are my favorites!
Nice to find this little Cache. Thank you Hipointer and Capiti for this cache be placed by you here. thank you for helping me get some of the Wonders of the World souvenirs. Traditionals are my favorites!
Nice to find this little Cache. Today i land here. And I am proud to find some geocaches in 42° 21′ 51.65″ N, 71° 0′ 18.65″ W. Thank you Hipointer and Capiti for this cache be placed by you here.
Now that I found some boxes, I am not a newbee in Geocaching and got this :-). Thank you Hipointer and Capiti for this cache be placed by you here. I don't dare do more than terrain 2.0 at all.
Now that I found some boxes, I am not a newbee in Geocaching and got this :-). Today i land here. And I am proud to find some geocaches in 42° 21′ 51.65″ N, 71° 0′ 18.65″ W. Thank you CarlK47 for this cache be placed by you here.
Now that I found some boxes, I am not a newbee in Geocaching and got this :-). Today i land here. And I am proud to find some geocaches in 42° 21′ 51.65″ N, 71° 0′ 18.65″ W. Thank you Kbobkat for this cache be placed by you here.
The last few days were so stressful that I once again indulged in my hobby. However I am very surprised to have found -- Lucky's Dad Old Party Times --. Thx again! Great that i found geocache with difficulty 1.5 again after the time. I don't dare do more than terrain 2.0 at all. The brush was more overgrown than I thought and that made it very difficult to find the little clearing where it was hiding. Traditionals are my favorites!
The last few days were so stressful that I once again indulged in my hobby. Thank you Hipointer and Capiti for this cache be placed by you here. A quick find that was spotted from the trail. Traditionals are my favorites!
This one was hard to find for me.
This one was hard to find for me. Great that i found geocache with difficulty 1.5 again after the time.
This one was hard to find for me. However I am very surprised to have found -- In the Pine --. Thx again! Great that i found geocache with difficulty 1.5 again after the time. I don't dare do more than terrain 1.5 at all. Easy find but needs a new log, it’s completely filled and I did not have fresh paper to put in. Traditionals are my favorites!
This one was hard to find for me. Today i land here. And I am proud to find some geocaches in 42° 21′ 51.65″ N, 71° 0′ 18.65″ W. Thank you gebart for this cache be placed by you here.
Today I get time to do logging for some caches that I found some days ago.However I am very surprised to have found -- Myles standish equestrian trail --. Thx again! This was quite a walk as we didn't park in the correct parking, but still a nice enjoyable stroll. Traditionals are my favorites!
Today I get time to do logging for some caches that I found some days ago.Today i land here. And I am proud to find some geocaches in 42° 21′ 51.65″ N, 71° 0′ 18.65″ W. Thank you MOEMOE for this cache be placed by you here.
Today i take a walk out of my hotel to do some geocaching.
Today i take a walk out of my hotel to do some geocaching. Great that i found geocache with difficulty 1.5 again after the time.
Today i take a walk out of my hotel to do some geocaching. However I am very surprised to have found -- R U Thirsty?? --. Thx again! Great that i found geocache with difficulty 1.5 again after the time. I don't dare do more than terrain 2.0 at all. We were spending the weekend in Westport, but we ventured over into Plymouth to find a few challenge caches in the Miles Standish state forest. Traditionals are my favorites!
Today i take a walk out of my hotel to do some geocaching. Thank you Hipointer and Capiti for this cache be placed by you here. I don't dare do more than terrain 1.5 at all.
Today i take a walk out of my hotel to do some geocaching. Thank you z-gang for this cache be placed by you here. I don't dare do more than terrain 1.0 at all.

I was suspicious about the ones that said "I flew my plane here and found the cache", such as flying his plane from France to New Hampshire?!  But all the logs are like that -- translations into English, and sure, generated (using GSAK?), but with additional text related to individual caches.  It could be he's an international airline pilot.  I would LOVE to read such logs on my caches, rather than the usual one or two word text (if it's even words) like "got it".

One of my caches developed an online Found log from a cacher in Germany.  In order to find my cache, they would have to arrive here at the Atlanta Airport, drive 20 miles to my cache at a shopping center, find and log it.  They found NO other caches in the USA, not even the usual ones at the airport.  They logged caches in Germany that same day.  No way, right?  So I made a trip to my cache, checked the log and sure enough, they signed it!  It was a legitimate find by a member of a family that hunts caches even when one of them is in the USA.  That was a cache that seemed to receive similar one-off logs, I guess due to its proximity to a state highway (and many places right there to stop for lunch?).  Often the immediate area of the airport is too hectic to park and try to hunt a cache, especially with limited time to get to the place you're driving to.

So as people said, Cache Owners can go check. :)

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 4
  • Helpful 1
39 minutes ago, kunarion said:

One of my caches developed an online Found log from a cacher in Germany.  In order to find my cache, they would have to arrive here at the Atlanta Airport, drive 20 miles to my cache at a shopping center, find and log it.  They found NO other caches in the USA, not even the usual ones at the airport.  They logged caches in Germany that same day.  No way, right?  So I made a trip to my cache, checked the log and sure enough, they signed it!  It was a legitimate find by a member of a family that hunts caches even when one of them is in the USA.  That was a cache that seemed to receive similar one-off logs, I guess due to its proximity to a state highway (and many places right there to stop for lunch?).

So as people said, Cache Owners can go check. :)

Yep.  We would check just outta curiosity.  COs that aren't so "curious" would appreciate it as well.     :)

One near us has a relative who's a commercial pilot.   Caches may be found in multiple states/countries in one day.

- They have homes in multiple states as well.

They've taken pics of the log as long as we've known them because someone accused them of faking it...

34 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

Yep.  We would check just outta curiosity.  COs that aren't so "curious" would appreciate it as well.     :)

Sometimes I notice some online log strangeness, as the OP noticed.  As a finder, the most I do in this case is, I may point out that "I'm the first to sign this log in 3 years!".  And in my online Found log, I post my usual photo of the signed log sheet, with previous signatures in view.  I don't know the entire situation (some cachers "sign" in a randomly selected place in a log book.  Sometimes there's more than one log sheet).  Anyway,  an alert Cache Owner may take it from there.   

2 hours ago, kunarion said:

It could be he's an international airline pilot.

The cacher-in-question's name is "travel_pilot". So, almost certainly, yeah... :)

Edited by Hügh
  • Funny 1
1 hour ago, TeamRabbitRun said:

His profile photo is of a pilot in a airliner cockpit.

OK, he flew an airliner to the cache.  Yep, first thing I'd expect happened when I see a log about "I flew my plane there".  :anicute:

It's mainly an issue of words lost in translation.  Plus the automatic logs, perfectly acceptable, as I have said, if that's what one wishes to do.  I haven't used bot-logging and never will.  I don't even like to type the same thing again in similar caches along a trail.  Also, I can't even imagine "flying my plane" to another continent and then making a bot-log about the find without even one photo.  Your Pilot May Vary.

Edited by kunarion
10 minutes ago, kunarion said:

OK, he flew an airliner to the cache.  Yep, first thing I'd expect happened when I see a log about "I flew my plane there".  :anicute:

I was just sayin' that IF it's all legit (and personally I'm not convinced), he APPEARS to have a job that might explain how he can be in so many places in short order.

2 hours ago, TeamRabbitRun said:

I was just sayin' that IF it's all legit (and personally I'm not convinced), he APPEARS to have a job that might explain how he can be in so many places in short order.

A bunch of logs in a seemingly impossible time frame, even in different cities, may happen if logged online all at the same time.  Using a "bot" (seems like a macro in this case, choosing from a selection of pre-translated text) is also not unusual, I see canned posts frequently.

I usually approach these from a completely different angle.  FIRST, I notice a strange online log on one of my caches, then I check the logbook.  If there's no signature, THEN I look at the text of more such logs, the number of caches per day, the caches being "found" all over the place, logs on other caches, to decide if it's an armchair finder or not.  Anyway, I don't first look at the log pattern and then guess that they must be fake finds.  But I might gently point out a non-signed log sheet when I do find a cache. 

If TPTB truly don't understand that fake logs harm the game, that's a problem.  I may use a real-looking online "Find" to decide when to return to a cache, so I don't waste a trip back there.  When it turns out the cache is still not viable, the fake log cheats more than "only themselves".  TPTB may instead say they don't have the manpower to go verify signatures.

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 3
  • Helpful 2
37 minutes ago, kunarion said:

A bunch of logs in a seemingly impossible time frame, even in different cities, may happen if logged online all at the same time.  Using a "bot" (seems like a macro in this case, choosing from a selection of pre-translated text) is also not unusual, I see canned posts frequently.

I usually approach these from a completely different angle.  FIRST, I notice a strange online log on one of my caches, then I check the logbook.  If there's no signature, THEN I look at the text of more such logs, the number of caches per day, the caches being "found" all over the place, logs on other caches, to decide if it's an armchair finder or not.  Anyway, I don't first look at the log pattern and then guess that they must be fake finds.  But I might gently point out a non-signed log sheet when I do find a cache. 

If TPTB truly don't understand that fake logs harm the game, that's a problem.  I may use a real-looking online "Find" to decide when to return to a cache, so I don't waste a trip back there.  When it turns out the cache is still not viable, the fake log cheats more than "only themselves".  TPTB may instead say they don't have the manpower to go verify signatures.

Thumbs-up.

9 hours ago, Hügh said:

There was an individual who, for the longest time, only ever wrote "Thanks for the cache!" in their logs. They occasionally added a smiley at the end; almost never posted photos. Often typos in one log carried over into others from the same day/week. Some of us thought that they were cheating, but no. They're real, and very much honest people. IIRC they got to around 10,000 finds before they started to consistently write "good" logs.

Yeah, a few years back we had a new cacher appear whose online logs consisted of just this emoji:

image.png.9c8278b9b6d656015461a099252ff1f7.png

So I went to check the physical logbook and found this:

image.png.a259cd6145be18b542b76af1862f785b.png

It takes all kinds I guess.

• Funny 5
12 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

a few years back we had a new cacher appear whose online logs consisted of just this emoji

I've seen some new cachers who really don't understand the online log text field and were simply writing the date or their username.

I'm not sure if that's better or worse than the people whose longs consist of a single period/dot.

On 6/3/2021 at 6:18 AM, yervel said:

I wasn't really out to prove a case on this account. I reported them for being a bot and HQ wouldn't ban them. My question to the forum was more in reaction to HQ being fine with bot/spam accounts, and wondered what the opinion here on bot/spam accounts was, and I guess the general consensus is 'but maybe not a bot so fine'.

So travel_pilot was just an example. Even though it is pretty clear to me that this is a bot, I can not be absolutely certain that it isn't some human logging actual finds, not necessarily on the correct date, and definitely using some kind of auto-generation of log texts. And that I think is the simple explanation to why HQ wouldn't ban such an account, they couldn't possibly spend the amount of time that so far has gone into investigating this single account (without conclusive result) into every account that is reported by someone.

• Upvote 4
On 6/3/2021 at 12:18 AM, yervel said:

My question to the forum was more in reaction to HQ being fine with bot/spam accounts...

A false statement won't become true just because you keep on repeating it.

I already show you that the opposite is really happening and even some two years ago the GC had to deal with a huge bots "attack" with the help of several users, reporting those cases. They all have been blocked.

• Upvote 2

OP reported a potential bot. Groundspeak has tools to determine whether that's the case or not.

If Groundspeak had determined it was a bot, the account would be locked for violating the Terms of Use, and the account's finds would likely have been deleted. As neither of those things have happened, to date they have not concluded this is a bot. Perhaps they might later. Or perhaps they won't.

You've done what you can. Unless this cacher has logged any of your caches, and you can prove they never signed the log, then it's time to worry about something else.

• Upvote 5
  • Helpful 1
On 6/4/2021 at 5:44 AM, TeamRabbitRun said:

Do international pilots and crew have to isolate or quarantine between flights?

Actually, with regards to the repetitive logs: if this gets logged by an app, and depending on the app it might kind of remember parts of sentences. Just type 1-2 letters and two commonly used words might show up, etc. I don't log caches with an app, but do for waymarks and see this all the time.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
On 6/4/2021 at 7:42 AM, kunarion said:

Using a "bot" (seems like a macro in this case, choosing from a selection of pre-translated text) is also not unusual, I see canned posts frequently.

That was my first thought - keyboard macros....

• Helpful 1