Spread the Math Love souvenir

SPREAD MATH LOVE!

It’s time to discover your own math love. Whether you already have an affinity for arithmetic, or you’re a numbers newcomer who’s just discovering this joy for the first time, this geocaching experience has something you’ll love. Share your experiences using #SpreadMathLove for a chance to win your own TI calculator and other fun prizes!

I never do these because of the wonky terms & conditions.  Items with * are required to check.  Yes, I know the purpose of trackables is to travel, but sometimes I like to purchase  trackables to keep and come along with me.  Every trackable I've released into the wild has gotten lost, except one.

Terms and conditions *
I agree to place this trackable in a geocache within two weeks of receiving it, or when it is reasonably safe and permitted for me to do so. 
Updates during Promotion *
If I receive a trackable, I agree to receive Spread Math Love related emails from Geocaching HQ during the promotion period.

Edited by GeoElmo6000
14 minutes ago, GeoElmo6000 said:

I never do these because of the wonky terms & conditions.  Items with * are required to check. 

Yes, I know the purpose of trackables is to travel, but sometimes I like to purchase  trackables to keep and come along with me. 

Every trackable I've released into the wild has gotten lost, except one.

That seems fine, but you're not purchasing these, so if you want a free promotion trackable, it's best to honor their request.  ;)

I've received a few promotion trackables.  Some never made it past the first cache, but all were placed in caches as per their directions.

- I believe that's why I still receive them time-to-time.      :)

We just had one promotion trackable that for some odd reason was never logged, and I marked it missing after two years "missing".

A couple months afterwards, a new cacher "finds" it in that same cache that had no one else notice, and it's back in play again.   Go figure...

4 hours ago, TriciaG said:

"Souvenir"? Or do you mean "promotion"?

Once again, open to the US only. <sigh> It's understandable, though; cheaper and quicker to mail 'em only to the US of A.

Promotions...

2006 - Unite for diabetes - Global release.                                                                       2017 - Caching Walden - Germany

2008 - Discover hidden Britain -  UK                                                                                  2017 - Welcome Home - Germany

2013 - Mine Lab -  US and Canada                                                                                     2017 - Ixalan and Rivals of Ixalan - Global Release

2015 - Engineering a perfect world - Global release                                                       2017/18 - Ecokeepers - US and Canada

2015 - The Revenant Movie Production -  US, Mexico, Europe, and Australia            2018 - Treasure X - US, Australia, UK, and Canada

2015 - Mountain Warehouse -  UK                                                                                     2019 - Tallink  Silja - Germany

2017 - MWGeoTrail -  UK, Germany, Poland, US, and Canada                                        2019/20 - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - Global Release.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
38 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:
5 hours ago, TriciaG said:

"Souvenir"? Or do you mean "promotion"?

Once again, open to the US only. <sigh> It's understandable, though; cheaper and quicker to mail 'em only to the US of A.

Promotions...

2006 - Unite for diabetes - Global release.                                                                       2017 - Caching Walden - Germany

2008 - Discover hidden Britain -  UK                                                                                  2017 - Welcome Home - Germany

2013 - Mine Lab -  US and Canada                                                                                     2017 - Ixalan and Rivals of Ixalan - Global Release

2015 - Engineering a perfect world - Global release                                                       2017/18 - Ecokeepers - US and Canada

2015 - The Revenant Movie Production -  US, Mexico, Europe, and Australia            2018 - Treasure X - US, Australia, UK, and Canada

2015 - Mountain Warehouse -  UK                                                                                     2019 - Tallink  Silja - Germany

2017 - MWGeoTrail -  UK, Germany, Poland, US, and Canada                                        2019/20 - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - Global Release.

Not sure why you're underlining Australia as TriciaG is in Canada, but I must live a sheltered life as I don't recall seeing anything about the Australian promotions. Or maybe I did and I just glossed over them, like I did the mutant turtles thing which is the only one I do recall seeing.

• Funny 1
16 hours ago, TriciaG said:

A promotion's geography is determined by the promotion partner. I can't say I've ever heard that mailing costs were a factor in determining a promotion's reach, but I'm not involved in those discussions. Here is a snippet of an Inside HQ podcast we did in 2018 that included an answer from our then- partnerships and promotions manager about why trackable promotions aren't always global:

"Really it all depends on the brand and their goals and objectives to meet their target markets. We’d love for our promotions to be on a global scale, so that the entire geocaching community can be involved, but some brands don’t have an international market and or they are trying to build and develop a market within a certain country. An example of this was with a promotion we launched this summer with the brand Hurtigruten. It’s a popular cruise line in Norway, but they don’t have a significant presence here in the United States and they wanted to develop their brand awareness. We worked with them to release trackables within the United States only this summer, and there was a photo contest they’re running alongside of it, and the winning photo got a free cruise in Norway."

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 4
On 6/1/2021 at 1:19 PM, Max and 99 said:

SPREAD MATH LOVE!

It’s time to discover your own math love. Whether you already have an affinity for arithmetic, or you’re a numbers newcomer who’s just discovering this joy for the first time, this geocaching experience has something you’ll love. Share your experiences using #SpreadMathLove for a chance to win your own TI calculator and other fun prizes!

What about those of us who hate math? :bad:

Edited by JL_HSTRE
  • Funny 1
  • Surprised 1

The webpage says "If more requests are received than trackables available, we will randomly select people from the United States only." ... but you have to enter a State and only United States comes up... leaving these blank (I'm from the UK) won't work... so looks like this is only a US promotion?

• Funny 1
1 hour ago, Boomshanka said:

The webpage says "If more requests are received than trackables available, we will randomly select people from the United States only." ... but you have to enter a State and only United States comes up... leaving these blank (I'm from the UK) won't work... so looks like this is only a US promotion?

Maybe the response was so great, the form has been changed to the US only.

I don’t know why it’s the US only in that case.  Maybe it’s just that it was world-wide to be sure they give away all tags (in case of few signups).  But as for mailing tags, the policy will at least save postage.

Edited by kunarion
6 hours ago, Boomshanka said:

5 hours ago, kunarion said:

Maybe the response was so great, the form has been changed to the US only.

I don’t know why it’s the US only in that case.  Maybe it’s just that it was world-wide to be sure they give away all tags (in case of few signups).  But as for mailing tags, the policy will at least save postage.

I read elsewhere that the location of promotions like this one is determined by the company/entity sponsoring the promotion.   If I were Advertising/Promotions Manager for an Australian corporation, I would limit my Trackable release area to Australia (and maybe New Zealand).  There is little reason I would advertise to North America or Europe, as there would not be much of a chance that those people would purchase my product.

• Helpful 2

the new 'game' offered by HQ? The TI Math trackables? It sounds great, but people have to behave in order for it to work and be fun. They are not placing them in caches, but are holding them where no one can discover them. There are AT LEAST 260 trackables released, but only about 29 show up on the US map. There are 42 "Acutie on Duty" trackables, but only 1 in a cache. The first ones showed up on the map and in social media about July 6. Maybe it will loosen up after time passes.

On 8/4/2021 at 11:14 AM, CAVinoGal said:

I'm able to zoom in and out, and move around, click on the dots to get the info on each TB near me....Windows 10, Chrome browser.  I've not tried it on the app on my phone (Android).  Where are you seeing the difficulty, on the app or on the computer/website?

I can zoom in and out but I cannot move the map at all on the app. Android.

31 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

I cannot move the map at all on the app. Android.

Aha!  I hadn't viewed the map on my phone app - and I am seeing the same behavior there.  I can zoom but not move to another area of the map.

It seems to be the case even if I view that TB map on geocaching.com in my browser on the phone.  Works fine on the laptop, but zooming and moving around the map on the phone is wonky.

Edited by CAVinoGal
On 8/4/2021 at 9:14 AM, CAVinoGal said:

I'm able to zoom in and out, and move around, click on the dots to get the info on each TB near me....Windows 10, Chrome browser.  I've not tried it on the app on my phone (Android).  Where are you seeing the difficulty, on the app or on the computer/website?

I have never been able to find the challenge on the website. I thought it was available in the app only. Windows 10, chrome browser.

If this was answered earlier, I apologize for repeat question but I’m new to understanding trackable logging. The TI Math trackable I would like to log to get the souvenir but I’ve already found the cache where it currently is. If I go back to the cache where it is and hit log trackable and take a photo I’ve seen it, will it recognize that I found the trackable and still award the souvenir or since icache has already been found I can’t log it after the fact?

36 minutes ago, Lakesyd said:

If this was answered earlier, I apologize for repeat question but I’m new to understanding trackable logging. The TI Math trackable I would like to log to get the souvenir but I’ve already found the cache where it currently is. If I go back to the cache where it is and hit log trackable and take a photo I’ve seen it, will it recognize that I found the trackable and still award the souvenir or since icache has already been found I can’t log it after the fact?

It does not matter that you have already found the geocache. You can go back to that cache 100 times and log all the trackables you discover in it or you can retrieve trackables in it. You should not have any problems at all just logging the math trackable. Can you post an update?

On 8/22/2021 at 6:02 PM, Twinklekitkat said:

From the promo page: Lastly, there might just be a special math bonus if you’re able to find all five trackables. Get out there and start your own math adventure. There’s a whole world of math love waiting for you. <3

Does anyone know what the special math bonus is if you find all five? 

My sister found her 5th TI Math Buddy this morning and so far nothing - no new souvenir for all 5? Maybe it's awarded at the end of the game - not sure. In case it matters - she has retrieved 4 and discovered 1 (all 5 different ones).

• Upvote 1
11 hours ago, Reese486 said:

My sister found her 5th TI Math Buddy this morning and so far nothing - no new souvenir for all 5? Maybe it's awarded at the end of the game - not sure. In case it matters - she has retrieved 4 and discovered 1 (all 5 different ones).

She is lucky to have found all 5.

Spreading the Math Love across the world doesn't goes well according to the map there are only 2 outside USA currently in a cache and none in Canada...

Did they ship them all? Because there are far far less than 3000 on the map... 

Edited by Lynx Humble
1 hour ago, Lynx Humble said:

Spreading the Math Love across the world doesn't goes well according to the map there are only 2 outside USA currently in a cache and none in Canada...

Earlier in this thread it's stated that the promotion is only avaialble in the USA. Perhaps that's why they haven't spread across the world.

On 8/25/2021 at 9:44 PM, Lynx Humble said:

She is lucky to have found all 5.

Did they ship them all? Because there are far far less than 3000 on the map... 

The promotion to receive a trackable was for the US only but I'm sure everyone can log them. I suspect covid-19 is the reason not many are traveling out the US right now.

I watch the map like a hawk - there are new ones being dropped every day. Only the ones currently in a cache show on the map (may not have been property retrieved/dropped). I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that the pink dot near Dallas is no longer in that cache, been there and looked. If the trackable is in someone's hands it does not show on the map. I have driven over 2 hours one way to get 2 of the 3 I have logged. Nothing but dark blue dots on the map around me but we still have a few months to go, I am optimistic I will eventually get to log them all.

On 8/22/2021 at 7:02 PM, Twinklekitkat said:

From the promo page: Lastly, there might just be a special math bonus if you’re able to find all five trackables. Get out there and start your own math adventure. There’s a whole world of math love waiting for you. <3

Does anyone know what the special math bonus is if you find all five? 

I was wondering the same thing myself.

I just logged my 5th and final of the five different types.  So far ... crickets.  Nothing.

What is the "special math bonus?"
????

10 minutes ago, heartofcornbelt said:

After the TISpreadMathLove trackables "contest" ends Dec. 31, is the idea to continue moving the TB along? or if you find one keep it or return to the original owner? Thanks much!

I do not think there's any expectation to return it to the original owner. I would think you are expected to keep moving it along, like any other TB.

• Helpful 2