Does a regular monthly catch-up constitute Event Stacking?

What constitutes event stacking?

I understand events cannot be 'stacked' on the same day - ie a CITO followed by a Community Celebration without sufficient time and/or distance, but how does that fit with a regular monthly catch-ups within a Region? I mean a standalone event held once a month - Jan to Dec. and listed as separate monthly events.

In the past our Reviewer has allowed a regular monthly event to be scheduled for attendees. The event met all usual guidelines and was held in the same venue (library) on the same time each month. We have a new Reviewer in the State and this is no longer allowed due to 'event stacking'. Can anyone point me to where in the guidelines this fails please? Is it at the sole determination/interpretation of the new Reviewer? Thankyou!

• Surprised 1

See https://wiki.Groundspeak.com/display/GEO/Australia, bottom of the page, for the guidance specific to Australia. Perhaps there's something there? You may want to also consider checking the subpage specific to Queensland for even more (!) guidance. 

In my opinion, this doesn't constitute Event Stacking. Perhaps your Reviewer isn't understanding what it is that you're trying to do? You can always also directly ask them to "please give me a link to the specific guideline I'm breaking."

Edited by Hügh
  • Upvote 2

It seems a bizzare decision by your reviewer. Most UK counties and smaller areas have regular events as you describe, and so do plenty of US areas. The wiki pages linked above dont exclude what you describe.

If you take the reviewers stance and this quote from the wiki together "events intended for the same people, a sequence of events or near the same time or location should be a single event." Then create a single event starting on Jan 1st and finishing on Dec 31st :-D

I would appeal...

• Helpful 2
12 hours ago, Simber15 said:

In the past our Reviewer has allowed a regular monthly event to be scheduled for attendees. The event met all usual guidelines and was held in the same venue (library) on the same time each month. We have a new Reviewer in the State and this is no longer allowed due to 'event stacking'. Can anyone point me to where in the guidelines this fails please? Is it at the sole determination/interpretation of the new Reviewer? Thankyou!

Right in your own Regional Policies Wiki it says, "The Event Stacking guidelines say that events intended for the same people, a sequence of events or near the same time or location should be a single event."

There's also examples, and I'd ask the Reviewer to please explain, as none are monthly events, but Megas or multiples on the same day.

That said, I haven't logged an "attended" to one of these types of events for years now.  I "attend", just don't claim that smiley.    :)

- We're already seeing the same folks every month at diners n such.   Maybe that's what your Reviewer is thinking too..

• Surprised 1
4 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

- We're already seeing the same folks every month at diners n such.   Maybe that's what your Reviewer is thinking too..

At all the events we have around here, maybe one or two a year if we're lucky, it's generally the same people at each one because we're a small community and getting different people to come to each one is difficult. I don't see how once a month or once a year makes any difference.

• Surprised 1
  • Helpful 1
26 minutes ago, barefootjeff said:

At all the events we have around here, maybe one or two a year if we're lucky, it's generally the same people at each one because we're a small community and getting different people to come to each one is difficult. I don't see how once a month or once a year makes any difference.

Yeah, I agree.  Like I said, we see the same people weekly/monthly whether we're at events or not.   :)

Maybe the Reviewer is centered on "the same people", and not recognizing it has to do with multi/linear events or megas.

• Helpful 1

As others have said, the guidelines say,

Submit events as one single event if your event has one of the following

• Several elements
  • A sequence of events
  • Events that are near the same time or location
  • Intended for the same audience

An event at the same location each month does meet the letter of this guideline, that said getting people together for events is important and I've spoken with the local reviewer and after discussing the intent of guideline here we will be publishing future events that are monthly events within the region. We simply ask if you are going to hold the event at the same location that the events be at least two weeks apart so that the old event can be archived before the new one is published to save overlapping on the map.

An important lesson from this scenario is to always work and communicate with the reviewer of your cache by using the reviewer notes. If something isn't clear post a reviewer note and re-enable the cache, that way the person reviewing the cache can clarify their thoughts and in some cases, check with others or even HQ if an idea can be published. Reviewers are not infallible and some guidelines are open to interpretation, it's only through open dialogue that we resolve these minor glitches.

We will also work to clarify this guideline for future hiders either in the local wiki or the guidelines.

• Upvote 5
  • Funny 1
  • Helpful 1
20 minutes ago, Ministro said:

We simply ask if you are going to hold the event at the same location that the events be at least two weeks apart so that the old event can be archived before the new one is published to save overlapping on the map.

The map can survive.  (See my screenshot above.)  After that nasty year, we need catch up on the socializing.  The government won't give us that year back, but maybe Groundspeak can.

• Funny 1
7 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

I believe Calypso62 has a regular event at Galston, (Coffee, Cakes and Conundrums). I'm not sure if it's monthly but it could be. I have not been to one but hear that it's well attended.

2 hours ago, colleda said:

I believe Calypso62 has a regular event at Galston, (Coffee, Cakes and Conundrums). I'm not sure if it's monthly but it could be. I have not been to one but hear that it's well attended.

Yes, those are still going. The next one's on the 21st of this month.

7 hours ago, Ministro said:

As others have said, the guidelines say,

An event at the same location each month does meet the letter of this guideline, that said getting people together for events is important and I've spoken with the local reviewer and after discussing the intent of guideline here we will be publishing future events that are monthly events within the region. We simply ask if you are going to hold the event at the same location that the events be at least two weeks apart so that the old event can be archived before the new one is published to save overlapping on the map.

An important lesson from this scenario is to always work and communicate with the reviewer of your cache by using the reviewer notes. If something isn't clear post a reviewer note and re-enable the cache, that way the person reviewing the cache can clarify their thoughts and in some cases, check with others or even HQ if an idea can be published. Reviewers are not infallible and some guidelines are open to interpretation, it's only through open dialogue that we resolve these minor glitches.

We will also work to clarify this guideline for future hiders either in the local wiki or the guidelines.

Thankyou! I wanted to check my facts before I raised the issue locally. I was asking in light of a conversation with a Southside group but have hosted monthly events previously Northside and wanted to check this before submitting any and having a discussion with our Reviewer. Much appreciated. 

• Upvote 1