Celebration of Life Headstones

Explain something to me, as I am not really that sharp, why EXACTLY wouldn't a lasered image be accepted into the Death Mask category? <snip> Funny that the same officers in the Death Mask Category are the same for this "Celebration of Life" category.  Seriously - the Death Mask category has 103 entries - adding the lasered images wasn't going to corrupt the category....

Edited by wayfrog
Small edit.
  • Upvote 1
  • Surprised 1
On 5/30/2021 at 5:28 AM, Max and 99 said:

Can you include an example?

See https://www.pinterest.at/aprilrenita/laser-etched-headstones/

Edited to add: The most annoying thing about this category is (for me) the misleading title. A death mask is the mask of the deceased person, while most of the waymarks show bronze reliefs of the alive person. Therefore, IMHO the name of the category should be changed. I have 3 waymarks in that category and they all are death masks.

Edited by PISA-caching
  • Funny 1

I agree with iconions and voted accordingly in Peer Review. Add an addendum to the Death Mask Gravestones category and the laser etched graves would easily fit. Categories should work on being more inclusive of new additions which might fit into their missions rather than go off in a different tangent with a new category 'to fill a new icon for their collection.'

• Upvote 1

Ah, the ole privacy thing.  Just for the fun of it lets have a look (BTW - No objections here about privacy)

Categories  Graves
American Revolution Patriot Graves  63
American Revolutionary War Veteran Graves   1,125
Broken Column Headstones  475
Death Mask Gravestones  103
Grave of a Famous Person   2,593
Graves Mentioning a Cause of Death   1,107
Headstones of Centenarians   2,302
Homemade Tombstones  1,403
Medal Of Honor Resting Places   3,035
Occupational/Hobby Grave Stones  907
Out of Place Graves  572
Woodmen of the World Grave Markers  6,535
Zinc Headstones   2,155
Total 22,375

One of the main objector, interestingly, has posted 1,154 gravestones - NO morality issue here when these were posted.

Edited by T0SHEA
  • Surprised 1
7 minutes ago, vulture1957 said:

Not all, but most cemeteries are public places. More info than is on the headstone is usually also published (publicly) in obituaries. There is no privacy issue with public information. (kind of the description of "public information".)

Interesting point about public information which includes "most cemeteries" 

When it came to peer view there were deny votes that were  inconsistent with your statements.

One of the advantages of a failed peer view, I get to see ALL the comments. Hidden or otherwise.

• Surprised 1
18 minutes ago, T0SHEA said:

Interesting point about public information which includes "most cemeteries" 

When it came to peer view there were deny votes that were  inconsistent with your statements.

One of the advantages of a failed peer view, I get to see ALL the comments. Hidden or otherwise.

if someone thinks otherwise, this past time is NOT for them. Taking pictures of anything other than your own property would then be problematic. And the whole idea of Waymarking nis to take pictures of things around your area..

• Upvote 1

I still do not understand why a lasered image of the deceased is different than a carved or sculpted image of the deceased.  What does the media of the reconstruction of the image of the deceased matter???  This question was never answered, and was my, and others, major objection to this category.  What you were trying to create was a limited subcategory of the death masks that should have been accepted in the first place...

Edited by iconions
  • Upvote 1

Wooden Church Artefacts -  First approved waymark June 9, 2020

Total 216

Interestingly, "Individual 1" has posted 137 or 63% of the total. Wonder what else can be revealed?

Stone Church Artefacts / Wooden Church Artefacts:  

No objections to creating the Wooden Church Artefacts category when the Stone Church Artefacts already existed. Both are in churches and both are artefacts.  

Must be a double standard. 

• Surprised 1

Forum Guidelines

4. Personal attacks and inflammatory or antagonistic behavior will not be tolerated. If you want to post criticism, please do so constructively. Generalized, vicious, or veiled attacks on a person or idea will not be tolerated.

Stop disparaging my officers and myself with your innuendos.

• Funny 1

I was just going to leave this, but it is bugging me....

So, I neither voted on, nor expressed any opinion on this category. I don't post in the forum much, but I do read some of the posts, and it appeared to me that my category, Wooden Church Artefacts, and I, myself (Individual 1), was being accused of double standards

On 6/3/2021 at 10:18 PM, T0SHEA said:

Wooden Church Artefacts -  First approved waymark June 9, 2020

Total 216

Interestingly, "Individual 1" has posted 137 or 63% of the total. Wonder what else can be revealed?

Stone Church Artefacts / Wooden Church Artefacts:  

No objections to creating the Wooden Church Artefacts category when the Stone Church Artefacts already existed. Both are in churches and both are artefacts.  

Must be a double standard. 

My request was not to be bought into this conversation, especially as an example of perceived double standards.

The category was duly discussed in the forums (https://forums.geocaching.com/GC/index.php?/topic/356778-looking-for-officers-wooden-church-artefacts/), modifications made based on the discussion, and duly voted on. I have a lot of entries for that category because I have an interest in the objects, and so had already taken a number of photos in the years preceding the creation of the category.

Just had to get that off my chest. I did feel a little slighted, being singled out for perceived double standards.

Kind Regards

Steve

• Upvote 4

SMacB this is NOT about you. (personally)                                                              
I apologize for any misunderstanding.

I was pointing out the inconsistencies about Celebration of Life Headstones being denied with votes indicating that laser etched gravestones be part of the Death Mask category.  

Yet, Wooden Church Artefacts was approved in 2020 when Stone Church Artefacts already existed.  

My comments were about two Waymarking categories one approved the other denied and the discrepancy.  

Edited by T0SHEA
  • Funny 1

Just for the record, and the big difference, was the fact that the original category for Stone Church Artifacts started out as Stone Church Artifacts.  In this case, there was no "wiggle" room; they would have had to EXPAND their original category premise to include Wooden Artifacts.  To change the category to Church Artifacts would have been too broad and would have included metal, wood, stone, and other materials - not what they intended.  

Your death mask category, on the other hand, made a judgement to deny these laser portraits specifically to create a new category.  I still do not know why these aren't accepted - most of the entries in the category are really art based off the figure and not true death masks - laser, bronze, ceramic, granite, or marble - the media is different; the effect isn't; none are true death masks.

THAT is the difference between why the two church artifacts were approved and the celebration of life wasn't.

• Upvote 2

Another quick question to the Death Mask group - now that you kicked me out as a regular member of the group, I guess that asking questions in the forum about the group is not looked upon kindly by the officers, does this mean that you aren't going to accept my waymark submissions for the category now?  I mean, seriously, it is REALLY pretty petty to remove a regular member.  <snip>

Edited by wayfrog
Small edit.
  • Upvote 2

I close this thread now. Friends, please try to be friendly to each other. Wasn't that a strength of the Waymarking community through all the years? Sometimes we had small up and downs, but the forum should be a nice place to come together. Good discussions are most welcome!

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
  • Love 1