Restricted caches

veluwseheksen

He all,

I'm new to the forums, so sorry if I missed the answer to this question.

Is it permitted to 'restrict' certain caches from being logged as 'found'?

For example;

- Training 1 (mystery cache)

- Training 2 (mystery cache)

- Exam (mystery cache)

Am I permitted to 'restrict' player to log 'found', before they complete the first 2?

If not, is it permitted to 'gate' the start of Training 2 before logging a 'found' on Training 1 by requiring an extra task they must perform, like sending a mail to an auto-reply address?

If not, how would you setup something like what I described in the example above?

With regards,

VeluwseHeksen

Edited by veluwseheksen
8 minutes ago, veluwseheksen said:

@cerberus1 With 'challenges' you can still write down your name in the logbook but you are asked to write a 'note' instead of a 'found' until you 'complete the challenge'

Yes, challenge caches are the exception to the No ALR rule for physical caches, but a challenge can't require finds on specific caches:

image.png.0f5b79a56ac82f6b079175909438b860.png

One approach might be to make Exam a bonus cache for the series Training 1 and Training 2, so that clues to Exam are contained in the other two caches, but you can't enforce that. If someone signs the logbook on Exam (perhaps they came across it by accident or were given the solution by a friend), you can't delete their log if they haven't found the other two. Also you can't daisy-chain bonuses, so you couldn't make Training 2 a bonus dependent on Training 1 and then have Exam a bonus for Training 2.

Maybe the simplest way could be to implement it as a multi, where Training 1 and Training 2 are waypoints and Exam is the final, although again you can't delete a find if someone signed the logbook without visiting the waypoints.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 2
5 minutes ago, barefootjeff said:

One approach might be to make Exam a bonus cache for the series Training 1 and Training 2, so that clues to Exam are contained in the other two caches

Barefootjeff,

Thank you for the extensive answer!
That 'bonus' to the series might be a save call, I really like that solution.

1 hour ago, veluwseheksen said:

I'm new to the forums, so sorry if I missed the answer to this question.

Is it permitted to 'restrict' certain caches from being logged as 'found'?

For example;

- Training 1 (mystery cache)

- Training 2 (mystery cache)

- Exam (mystery cache)

Am I permitted to 'restrict' player to log 'found', before they complete the first 2?

If not, is it permitted to 'gate' the start of Training 2 before logging a 'found' on Training 1 by requiring an extra task they must perform, like sending a mail to an auto-reply address?

42 minutes ago, veluwseheksen said:

@cerberus1 With 'challenges' you can still write down your name in the logbook but you are asked to write a 'note' instead of a 'found' until you 'complete the challenge'

You didn't mention challenges...  Mysteries was you question.   

With any other cache, I believe what you're looking for falls under Additional Logging Requirements.

The guidelines also say "Caches cannot require geocachers to contact the cache owner or anyone else" , so I'm not sure "sending a mail to an auto-reply address" in your OP would fly.    

Most forum questions are answered in Geocaching 101, or the Help Center.  :)

1 hour ago, veluwseheksen said:

If not, how would you setup something like what I described in the example above?

In my area, answers to auto reply via text messaging is allowed. 

• Surprised 1
  • Helpful 1
7 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

In my area, answers to auto reply via text messaging is allowed. 

It's basically the same thing as calling a toll-free phone number and getting information from the outgoing recorded message. Or clicking a link to a website, for that matter. You aren't interacting with a person. You're using an automated system.

3 minutes ago, niraD said:

It's basically the same thing as calling a toll-free phone number and getting information from the outgoing recorded message. Or clicking a link to a website, for that matter. You aren't interacting with a person. You're using an automated system.

Except when they text you back to ask if you need help.