Field Notes Cleaner

24 minutes ago, TeamRabbitRun said:

Hope he comes back with something more before anyone risks their PC.

I took the risk and tried :D

It seems to be an field notes cleaner as stated in the short description. Suitable for off-line drafts from a dedicated GPSr.

Edited by arisoft

OK, some explanations...

Version 1: Remove duplicate logs

I don't know why, but my Garmin GPSmap 62s sometimes tends to crash after a "Found it", and I have to reboot my GPS resulting with duplicate "Found it" in my Field Notes file. After a few months of frustration, I decided to develop a script that removes duplicates Field Notes by keeping only the last one.

In the following example, the GC9AX69 and GC9AX6H Field Notes are duplicated. After running the Field Notes Cleaner, the duplicates are removed.

1176652885_Exemplev1.thumb.jpg.b88adde57c8b8d6e09155af8e8208923.jpg

Version 2: Split DNF from Found it

Using GSAK, as I like to first log my "Found it" and then log my DNF, I created a 2nd version of my tool allowing to split my "Found it" and my DNF in 2 parts.

In the following example, after running the Field Notes Cleaner, the DNF are separated from the "Found it".

341077012_Exemplev2.thumb.jpg.aadd88155435243b4a4a704dbacd40c9.jpg

Version 3: Remove logs with LB cache prefix

Since I use my GPS for both geocaches (GC...) and Lab Caches (LB...), I added an option allowing me to remove LB caches before logging my "Found it" geocaches with GSAK.

Here is an example of my 15 caches found today: 5 geocaches and 10 Lab Caches. After running the Field Notes Cleaner, the Lab Caches are removed resulting in 5 geocaches Field Notes ready to process in GSAK.

2040988568_Exemplev3.thumb.jpg.2fbc9d4ea9a07fd46461a01f3cfafefd.jpg

Version 4: Add an option to remove Field Notes before a specific date and add a Found Caches Counter Option

Here is an example with the Found Caches Counter Option activated

1128725122_Exemplev4.thumb.jpg.e21cba468c17c13d16d918e6e1e54aa2.jpg

The final result is a tool that I called "Field Notes Cleaner", that meets my personal needs and that I thought I would share with those interested.

Regards!

Edited by OusKonNé & Cétyla
  • Surprised 1
  • Love 1

Hey, Luc - that looks great. Obviously a lot of work went into this, and if your Garmin was giving you that kind of trouble, seems well worth the effort.

Sorry I questioned it, but I'm sure you understand.

A point about 'Version 2' - not about the tool, but about your comment. You say that you like to file your "Finds', and THEN your 'DNFs'.

Several times, I've unsuccessfully looked for something and moved on: a failed attempt.

Later in the day I've gone back to it and found it!

I would file a record both attempts, but for me, I'd want my DNF to appear before the 'Found It'. Tells a better story of my Caching Day.

Thanks for sharing this work you did with us,

...Bill 

TeamRabbitRun