How are users logging my dog tag trackables when they are still in my possession

Paledunn

Maybe a numbers generator accessing numbers/codes and one finally hit.  There's a couple fakers out there doing that. Why, who knows... 

You can delete it it you know they didn't get the tracking code from you.  :) 

One log says, "Discover it on geocaching.com  Thanks for sharing", but doesn't say where.  I didn't see any pics anywhere...

• Helpful 1
11 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

Uh oh. Another one. Did you by chance post a photo on social media? 

It would appear so based on this log:

"Seen in the photo gallery at geocaching - Thank You very much for sharing this TB/Coin icon_smile.gif (If this wasn't intented feel free to delete this log)"

• Helpful 1
29 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

Uh oh. Another one. Did you by chance post a photo on social media? 

I looked through the TB gallery, starting on the 16th, and didn't see any obvious ones (may have been deleted?).  I was pleasantly surprised to see the vast majority of TBs in the Gallery are not showing a Tracking Code.

It's kind of weird to see logs about seeing a TB "in the gallery", when it's only a log or two -- and not pages and pages of "Discovery" logs.  This might be a good time for the OP to lock some TBs for a while, at least until placing them.

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1

I understand now... thanks all. I had posted a picture of each trackable when I activated each not realizing that the pictures would end up on a public gallery. I deleted the pictures as soon as I realized the pictures were not protected. I don’t agree with the practice of “scalping “ trackables in that manner. 

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
13 hours ago, Paledunn said:

I understand now... thanks all. I had posted a picture of each trackable when I activated each not realizing that the pictures would end up on a public gallery. I deleted the pictures as soon as I realized the pictures were not protected.

I don’t agree with the practice of “scalping “ trackables in that manner. 

I log a lot of trackable codes found online.  My log always says where I found it, JIC they're wondering "how", same as you were.  :)

Nine times outta ten, the code is in the TOs own gallery somewhere.    

Other times it may be a hoarder who's passing a boxful of other people's property off as their own for Discover at events.

- I'll even add the $&*@* name in my log. 

But to be clear, "virtual" trackables are allowed, so if you have the code clearly on your own trackable's page, some may feel you're allowing that.

Under "Log a Trackable", under "Virtual Logs" in the Help Center, it does say, "Logging trackables that you have not personally seen is strongly discouraged. It is up to the trackable owner to state if they allow this."   Posting it yourself (I feel) is saying you're fine with it.

• Upvote 1
  • Surprised 1
18 hours ago, Paledunn said:

I understand now... thanks all. I had posted a picture of each trackable when I activated each not realizing that the pictures would end up on a public gallery. I deleted the pictures as soon as I realized the pictures were not protected. I don’t agree with the practice of “scalping “ trackables in that manner. 

I enjoy trackables that have pictures and occasionally look through the gallery to see what's out there but, of course, I don't log them. It amazes me that anyone thinks it's okay to harvest numbers from the gallery to increase their TB count.

You can still post pictures of trackables just make sure the code isn't showing in the image (cover it up with tape, photoshop it out, photo the back side, whatever). 

4 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

But to be clear, "virtual" trackables are allowed, so if you have the code clearly on your own trackable's page, some may feel you're allowing that.

Under "Log a Trackable", under "Virtual Logs" in the Help Center, it does say, "Logging trackables that you have not personally seen is strongly discouraged. It is up to the trackable owner to state if they allow this."   Posting it yourself (I feel) is saying you're fine with it.

My take is they're only allowed if the trackable page clearly says so. If they don't clearly state it's allowed, it isn't. I would not assume that if someone posts an image with the code they are giving permission (again unless the TB page says so) rather I would assume they made a mistake, as in the OP. 

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 2

I had a similar problem. I published a new geo coin and accidently included the tracking number in the default picture. Within 10 minutes of publication, I had 2 discovery logs, both from Europe. I realized my mistake and 30 minutes later, removed the tracking number form default picture. I received about 5 more discovery logs, before they stopped.

• Upvote 1

I lucked out.

When I FIRST started paying attention to TBs, I got two from a promotion (the "GEICO" one).

I was so proud of the webpages I put together, and being a pretty helpful, detail-oriented person, I included both identifying numbers in the description. BIG BOLD LETTERS! 

A few weeks later I realized MORE about how it all worked, and quickly took the tracking numbers off the pages.

Whew! Never got a "discovered online - thanks!" log.

Of course they're both gone now. They never call, they never write....

• Funny 2