Found a trackable that is in someone's collection

EMC2+2

I have found a trackable that is listed in someone's collection. This cacher is not the owner of the trackable. I believe it is a mistake that it is in the collection. I have contacted the owner, but he cannot help. He cannot take it from the collection. How can I log this trackable? The trackable is from the United states, and it is now in Sweden.

24 minutes ago, EMC2+2 said:

I have found a trackable that is listed in someone's collection. This cacher is not the owner of the trackable. I believe it is a mistake that it is in the collection. I have contacted the owner, but he cannot help. He cannot take it from the collection. How can I log this trackable? The trackable is from the United states, and it is now in Sweden.

An owner can move a Trackable to and from the Collection, or HQ can assist if it's not working. The main purpose of the Collection is to have a place where your activated coins are not cluttering a personal or cache Inventory, best used when the coins are in storage and not taken by cachers for travel.  It's for large numbers of personally activated coins, and most cachers must cease clicking Collection-related buttons.  But of course they don't.  The majority of traveling coins in Collections seem to be the result of cachers wondering what this button does. 

But it is the Owner's prerogative, even if it was clicking to see what that button does.  It still belongs to the Owner, and it can even still travel cache-to-cache.  It can't go "missing", for example, due to being in a "Collection" -- the whole "Collection" thing is designed specifically so that honest people (Owners, finders, others) can easily transfer the item for long-term care, and then see who's holding the item and why.  To prevent misunderstandings.  Owners must not misuse that button.  If they don't need that feature, don't mess with it.  But if they do all this, the Owner MUST also add info to the coin's page on why it's set like that, and how finders should treat the coin.

A coin in a Collection that is traveling cannot accrue "Visit" logs.  Some cachers try to mitigate the buh-zillion "Took It To" logs when that becomes a problem.  It tends to make things worse to next place it into a Collection (Exhibit "A": the confusion that prompted this thread :anicute:).  But here we are.

While it's in a Collection, the log options are Discover and Note.  Make one of those logs with whatever useful info you like, and place it into a cache.

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1