Release Notes (Geocaching® app: Announcement and Archive log types for cache owners) - May 17, 2021

Release Notes (Geocaching® app: Announcement and Archive log types for cache owners) - May 17, 2021

With today’s release we are introducing the log types “Announcement” and “Archive” for cache owners on the Geocaching® app.

Announcement
If you organize an Event Cache or CITO, you can now post an Announcement log directly from the Geocaching® mobile app. Announcement logs trigger an email to all players who have logged a “Will attend” on your event.

Use this to post important updates about your event.

Archive
Whether you own a physical cache, an EarthCache, Virtual Cache, or Event Cache—you can now archive your cache directly from the Geocaching® mobile app. Archiving a geocache permanently removes it from the app and from Geocaching.com. This action cannot be undone.

nykkole is watching this thread to answer questions whenever possible.

Any posts in this thread should relate to features in this release. Comments unrelated to the release may be removed. Please direct unrelated comments to other appropriate threads. Thanks!

• Helpful 2
10 hours ago, Geocaching HQ said:

With today’s release we are introducing the log types “Announcement” and “Archive” for cache owners on the Geocaching® app.

Announcement
If you organize an Event Cache or CITO, you can now post an Announcement log directly from the Geocaching® mobile app. Announcement logs trigger an email to all players who have logged a “Will attend” on your event.

Use this to post important updates about your event.

Archive
Whether you own a physical cache, an EarthCache, Virtual Cache, or Event Cache—you can now archive your cache directly from the Geocaching® mobile app. Archiving a geocache permanently removes it from the app and from Geocaching.com. This action cannot be undone.

nykkole is watching this thread to answer questions whenever possible.

Any posts in this thread should relate to features in this release. Comments unrelated to the release may be removed. Please direct unrelated comments to other appropriate threads. Thanks!

An archive option is a good addition. 

Edit: owner maintenance option on the app has been returned.

Edit 2: I think the archive option is in a bad location. 

Edited by Max and 99
  • Helpful 1

Adding an announcement-log for events is excellent.

The adding of an archive-log is more problematic I think.

Since archival is an permanent action having it among among all other log types there will be an risk that the amount of archives by mistake will increase. Specially if there is no pop-up window warning that the cache is about to be archived. Since I have no idea what happens after I press send i never tried it on one of my caches.

An better way is to move the archive option to the grey bottom of the front page in the app on an cache, where report an problem is on non-owned caches. Then the risk of archive mistake will be reduced.

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 3
14 minutes ago, peter-tvm said:

Adding an announcement-log for events is excellent.

The adding of an archive-log is more problematic I think.

Since archival is an permanent action having it among among all other log types there will be an risk that the amount of archives by mistake will increase. Specially if there is no pop-up window warning that the cache is about to be archived. Since I have no idea what happens after I press send i never tried it on one of my caches.

An better way is to move the archive option to the grey bottom of the front page in the app on an cache, where report an problem is on non-owned caches. Then the risk of archive mistake will be reduced.

I second that.

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1
13 hours ago, peter-tvm said:

Since archival is an permanent action having it among among all other log types there will be an risk that the amount of archives by mistake will increase. Specially if there is no pop-up window warning that the cache is about to be archived.

Before an archive log is posted, the CO will see a modal asking if they are sure that they want to archive their cache. Only after confirming this will be cache be archived.

• Helpful 1
24 minutes ago, nykkole said:

Before an archive log is posted, the CO will see a modal asking if they are sure that they want to archive their cache. Only after confirming this will be cache be archived.

I'm a little afraid to test this out. If I test it out and I do not get this message will you unarchive my archived cache?

• Funny 7
On 5/17/2021 at 8:39 PM, Geocaching HQ said:

Archive

The Dutch translation of the logtype is "Archived" (past tense) instead of "Archive"
Or should it be "to archive"?

Edited by ardila.nl
  • Upvote 1
55 minutes ago, ardila.nl said:

The Dutch translation of the logtype is "Archived" (past tense) instead of "Archive"

That's correct as the log is done after archiving the cache. Other log types (Found it, Attended) are past tense as well. 

Hans

5 hours ago, nykkole said:

Before an archive log is posted, the CO will see a modal asking if they are sure that they want to archive their cache.

Is it possible to see a screenshot of this warning?

From a design perspective, I'd imagine that it should be bright red, with "Warning! This cannot be undone" in big, bold letters. Maybe even something flashing for colorblind people. Make sure people can't turn around and say they didn't realise what they'd pressed.

From a security perspective, I think it would be a good idea for the action to require the user to re-enter their password to confirm. I'm not sure what would happen more often - a CO legitimately trying to archive a whole bunch of caches at once, or someone's angry teenager grabbing their phone and maliciously going archive, archive, archive. Since it's one of those "this is permanent" actions, I feel that it warrants a bit of extra care to protect users from themselves (and teenagers upset that they got grounded and had their phone confiscated for a few days who want to "get even").

• Upvote 2

I agree with adding "Announcement" availablility in the app.  I'm not so sure I agree with adding Archive capability to the app.  Disabling, Onwer maintenance, informational logs - yeah, they are OK from the app.

Just as creating a cache page requires logging in to the website, I think archival should also require logging into the website and performing the archival that way.  For me, I use the app to geocache/find caches.  I do my logging at home ont hecomputer, I create caches on the computer, I do my owner maintenance on the computer, and when I need to archive a cache, I prefer to do that on the computer.  I realize I still can, and there are those that like the ability to archive on the app.  It seem sthere is too much potential for inadvertent archivals though - 

4 hours ago, Unit473L said:

I think it would be a good idea for the action to require the user to re-enter their password to confirm.

I second this, if you are going to keep it as a part of the app.  

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 2
10 minutes ago, CAVinoGal said:

I agree with adding "Announcement" availablility in the app.  I'm not so sure I agree with adding Archive capability to the app.  Disabling, Onwer maintenance, informational logs - yeah, they are OK from the app.

Just as creating a cache page requires logging in to the website, I think archival should also require logging into the website and performing the archival that way.  For me, I use the app to geocache/find caches.  I do my logging at home ont hecomputer, I create caches on the computer, I do my owner maintenance on the computer, and when I need to archive a cache, I prefer to do that on the computer.  I realize I still can, and there are those that like the ability to archive on the app.  It seem sthere is too much potential for inadvertent archivals though - 

Yes, I agree with this too. TD, EN and OM are all convenient on the app when carrying out maintenance at GZ, but I think archival really needs the cooling off period of the drive back home. A few times when I've discovered a cache left in poor condition, like the one that was urinated in, my first reaction is to tell the surrounding forest that I've had enough of this stupid game and will archive it as soon as I get home, but by the time I'm back in front of my PC the chances are I've already started planning the repairs and what I can do to stop it happening again. A few times I did end up archiving the cache, but that was after I let it simmer in a disabled state for at least several days while I pondered whether there were any other options.

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1
  • Love 1