Upload/Download Finds on geocaching.com

Loops12

Until now, I have always used GSAK for downloading too my gps hundreds of caches at a time. I used GSAK to upload my finds in a simple push of a button. Does geocaching.com have the same ability as did GSAK. I now have Apple products which does not support GSAK. Any assistance would be appreciated.

For downloading many caches can pocket query be used. Or project-gc virtual GPS.

For logs do you mean upload drafts of the caches you have found to log them one at a time or publishing many logs automatic with the same content?

If it's drafts the apps geocaching or cachly can do it.

If it's publish many logs automatically I believe that cachetur.no can do something similar to gsak publish logs.

Edited by peter-tvm

I'm loving this hobby so far, but I'm finding myself sitting in front of the computer quite a bit uploading .loc files onto my gps (I'll get .gpx soon) I'd rather be outside!!! I've got a Garmin gpsmap 64st (Got spoiled on my birthday) Uploading direct from the website wont work because Garmin wants me to use Internet Explorer (NEVER!!!) So I've been looking at picking up some third party software to take care of snaptube vidmate the following:

Edited by aoneter12
  • Surprised 1
On 8/2/2021 at 7:20 AM, aoneter12 said:

I'm loving this hobby so far, but I'm finding myself sitting in front of the computer quite a bit uploading .loc files onto my gps (I'll get .gpx soon) I'd rather be outside!!! I've got a Garmin gpsmap 64st (Got spoiled on my birthday) Uploading direct from the website wont work because Garmin wants me to use Internet Explorer (NEVER!!!) So I've been looking at picking up some third party software to take care of the following:

What makes you think Garmin wants you to use IE?

This is how I transfer gpx files directly to my Oregon 700 using Firefox (other browsers will be similar but the fine details may be a bit different).

Firstly, in the browser settings there's an option for handling downloads. In Firefox it looks like this:

image.png.7e9251e7336c0263c705230ec62b62b7.png

The default is to save files directly to the Downloads folder, which you can do but you then have to copy/paste from there to your GPSr, but if you choose the Always Ask option you can skip that step.

On every cache page, there's a Download GPX link near the top of the page:

image.png.4dc590919639e884a9f252fb62fd6ac1.png

Clicking on that then opens the browser's Save As dialog box:

image.png.50a7bafdb592771aae2dd096e80f3945.png

which you then point to the Garmin\GPX folder on your GPSr. In the screenshot above, I've shown the main memory of my Oregon, which appears as drive E: when it's plugged in, but I prefer to keep the GPX files on the micro-SD card I have in the device, which appears as F:. Again you save the file in the Garmin\GPX folder:

image.png.f3a06c271e96141c69d36bf601815db9.png

That's all there is to it and there's no need for any other software.

• Helpful 2

I haven't used my Garmin Oregon 450 in several years and now getting back into this. I used to be able to download GPX files directly to the  GPS but this appears to no longer be an option. So instead I connected the GPS to my computer and downloaded the GPX file directly into the GPX folder on the Garmin (like mentioned above but I used MS Edge browser) and while I can see it in the GPX folder it doesn't show up on my Garmin when I use it to find geo caches. Any ideas why this is happening? Thanks.

1 hour ago, amwoolf said:

I haven't used my Garmin Oregon 450 in several years and now getting back into this. I used to be able to download GPX files directly to the  GPS but this appears to no longer be an option. So instead I connected the GPS to my computer and downloaded the GPX file directly into the GPX folder on the Garmin (like mentioned above but I used MS Edge browser) and while I can see it in the GPX folder it doesn't show up on my Garmin when I use it to find geo caches. Any ideas why this is happening? Thanks.

There are filters set on the GPS by default, and some may be set unexpectedly.  Filters can hide caches on the list.

And if a cache is more than about 60 miles from where the GPS thinks it is, the cache will not automatically appear.  You must get closer by going there, or by scrolling the map.

If you want to try the new way to send GPX files directly, here’s info on how to start:

https://www.geocaching.com/help/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=138&pgid=485

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1

I went to a location where a couple of caches were within a mile but they did not show up.

If you haven't used the Garmin in a long time, it may take a while to initialize, to find its location.  During this process, caches may be "too far" to automatically show up.

Do you have filters set that prevent caches from showing up?  Are other caches and waypoints showing up when the map of their location is in view?  Is there something in common with the caches that fail to show?  The info about a cache that failed to show might help people figure out what's going on.  For example, caches that you previously logged as Found are in a different section by default, and depending on filters, may not appear on the map.

It's possible that there's a device issue.  But it also could be that the site just had a problem sending files that day.

The link you provided is how I got these onto the GPS.

So you used Garmin Express and the "Send To Garmin" button? 

You can instead load the GPX directly using the file manager.  Place GPX files into the "Garmin/GPX" folder of the GPS.

Edited by kunarion

My Garmin Express doesn't have a send to Garmin button. I loaded the file directly into the Garmin/GPX folder by downloading it directly into the folder and it shows it is there. I went to the site (about a couple of hundred yards away from where I was) and it doesn't show up. If there are filters on GPS U can't find a way to turn them off.

24 minutes ago, amwoolf said:

My Garmin Express doesn't have a send to Garmin button. I loaded the file directly into the Garmin/GPX folder by downloading it directly into the folder and it shows it is there. I went to the site (about a couple of hundred yards away from where I was) and it doesn't show up. If there are filters on GPS U can't find a way to turn them off.

Garmin tends to hide features such as "Filters".  My Garmin has at least two areas where filters are set, and I've sometimes seen filters "on" by surprise.  And the 450 has a "Found" section for caches separate from the rest.  It can all be customized.  I'd rather have all info available, but most cachers hide things from their own view.

Sometimes there's an issue where GPX files arrive as "waypoints" instead of Geocaches, and are shown in the Waypoints section.  But if you've verified that at least some waypoints and Geocaches behave properly on your device, that it only affects a few, then maybe we rule out a bigger system problem.

I replied to you on Saturday with a link about Garmin Express.  On that page is a link on how to use "Send To Garmin":  https://www.geocaching.com/help/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=138&pgid=827

The "Send To Garmin" button exists in various places on the web site, most notably in Lists and cache info on map pages.  It's notably missing from cache description pages, but direct GPX file download is available there.  Since many cachers must also manage file memory on their GPSs, it's better to place files directly (and delete old files to make room).  Send To Garmin doesn't necessarily remove old files.

Edited by kunarion
On 8/21/2021 at 7:34 PM, kunarion said:

And if a cache is more than about 60 miles from where the GPS thinks it is, the cache will not automatically appear.  You must get closer by going there, or by scrolling the map

No, not on a Garmin 450.

If cache not showing up on the GPSr, most of the time the cache are stored in a wrong location.  They have to be in the \garmin\gpx folder.