Jump to content

Can Basic Members log a Premium cache?


Followers 2

Recommended Posts

I have a Premium Membership for my family that we have had for several years and typically go out caching as a family. Now my daughter is old enough that she wants to have her own username and go out caching with her friends. This is great, but I don't want to pay for a second premium membership. This is my question... when we go out caching together will she be limited to signing the log and logging her find on-line for only the basic caches? I know she can physically sign the log for the premium caches, but I'm also hoping that if she puts in the cache ID she will be allowed to log it on-line as well.

 

An additional question would be... what are the "guidelines" for her to be able to go back and log on-line all of the caches we have found together already? I realize the physical log won't have her new username on it, but was thinking she could say something to the affect of "Originally the 'I' in CSIDavis, but now have my own username and was part of this find when the log was signed on mm/dd/yyyy". While she could easily go sign the log for the local ones, there are several not so local ones that she may never get back to. 

 

Thank you for any insight.

Link to comment
16 minutes ago, CSIDavis said:

I have a Premium Membership for my family that we have had for several years and typically go out caching as a family. Now my daughter is old enough that she wants to have her own username and go out caching with her friends. This is great, but I don't want to pay for a second premium membership. This is my question... when we go out caching together will she be limited to signing the log and logging her find on-line for only the basic caches? I know she can physically sign the log for the premium caches, but I'm also hoping that if she puts in the cache ID she will be allowed to log it on-line as well.

 

An additional question would be... what are the "guidelines" for her to be able to go back and log on-line all of the caches we have found together already? I realize the physical log won't have her new username on it, but was thinking she could say something to the affect of "Originally the 'I' in CSIDavis, but now have my own username and was part of this find when the log was signed on mm/dd/yyyy". While she could easily go sign the log for the local ones, there are several not so local ones that she may never get back to. 

 

Thank you for any insight.

Definitely she can log the PM caches. I don't have the link handy but I know someone will come along soon and provide that to you.

 

I do like the sample log you provided. It's important to use the original date, though! This is my opinion. 

 

Found it:

http://www.geocachingadmin.com/

Edited by Max and 99
Link
  • Upvote 3
  • Helpful 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Max and 99 said:

I do like the sample log you provided. It's important to use the original date, though! This is my opinion. 

I've helped friends post backdated logs like this when they finally decided to create an account and log their old finds (from geocaching trips with me). Using the date of the actual find is important, and explaining the situation when you found it with someone else is important.

 

Good job, CSIDavis!

Link to comment

I do the cache logging for the entire family, so my experience may be different than yours. I just log the cache and then sign in as the other user. I refresh the log page and I can then log the cache for my other family members.

Another method: The PM can copy the "Log Geocache" link from the cache page and send it to the non-PM. The non-PM can then sign in and use that link to log the cache.

That is, provided that the C.O. allows non-PM to log the cache at all. Some don't.

 

Edited by E = Mc2
Link to comment
20 minutes ago, E = Mc2 said:

That is, provided that the C.O. allows non-PM to log the cache at all. Some don't.

Unless the cache is a challenge cache, the guidelines state that it "can be logged online as 'Found' after the geocacher has visited the coordinates and signed the logbook."

 

The CO of a PMO cache cannot require that members have a current premium membership to log the cache as "Found". That would be an Additional Logging Requirement (ALR), and is not allowed.

  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
Link to comment
22 minutes ago, E = Mc2 said:

That is, provided that the C.O. allows non-PM to log the cache at all. Some don't.

 

All cachers can log PMO caches. (PMO refers to the listing being visible or not to non-PM's. A basic member can find a PMO cache with a PM and log it. Groundspeak even maintains the link given above for non-PMs to log a PM cache.)

 

If a CO wants to be a snot about it, you can take it to Appeals. It's best to have a photo of the signature on the log sheet as proof.

  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
Link to comment
2 hours ago, E = Mc2 said:

That is, provided that the C.O. allows non-PM to log the cache at all. Some don't.

 

Like others have said, any member can log a find if they signed the log.  Most do so when with a premium member...

We know of only one CO that successfully removed smileys of basic members who logged, when the member filed a complaint. 

 - That was years ago. 

Also, Groundspeak will give a temp premium membership to folks who ask (and have never been a pm before...). A week.

We know of one who wrote down the coordinates of every pmo cache in the area while they had it.   ;) 

To any CO getting a log weeks later, a basic member logged it. 

The cacher could help some, by simply saying in their log that they had a temp pm.     :)

  • Helpful 1
Link to comment

It should be possible to create premium accounts for children under a certaint age under your own premium account. I have 2 children that are very interesting in geocaching, and they have their own account, but only basic. I log caches as described above for them, but I often wish they have an opportunety to at least see and open premium caches too, as long as I have a premium account and they are under 13 year.

Link to comment
7 minutes ago, bjåen said:

It should be possible to create premium accounts for children under a certaint age under your own premium account. I have 2 children that are very interesting in geocaching, and they have their own account, but only basic. I log caches as described above for them, but I often wish they have an opportunety to at least see and open premium caches too, as long as I have a premium account and they are under 13 year.

 This has been discussed before in the forums, and it seemed too easy to game the system. 

  • Helpful 1
Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Followers 2
×
×
  • Create New...