Can players skip one of my questions?

Hi all, I'm almost done building my first AL. Location 2 would be inaccessible during a flood stage of a river. A rare occurrence, but still, my instructions advise them to skip that question if the river is very high. Will they be able to access Location 3 without answering Question 2? I've done a bunch of ALs as a player, but can't remember if you can skip around. I prefer they go in sequence for the story.

• Funny 1
56 minutes ago, FairmountWaterWorks said:

Hi all, I'm almost done building my first AL. Location 2 would be inaccessible during a flood stage of a river. A rare occurrence, but still, my instructions advise them to skip that question if the river is very high. Will they be able to access Location 3 without answering Question 2? I've done a bunch of ALs as a player, but can't remember if you can skip around. I prefer they go in sequence for the story.

Like barefootjeff said, you choose whether you want the adventure lab to played in a certain sequence or not. If a player cannot answer all questions they do not complete the adventure lab. They will not be able to leave an activity log or rate it. It will remain as an unfinished Adventure Lab. 

If you make the geofencing wide enough, they might still be able to answer the question if you provide an answer when the river level is high and they cannot get to the location that has the answer. Or you can choose a question that could be answered no matter what the level of the river is. I'm making guesses without knowing the specifics of your adventure lab.

If you choose to make the adventure only playable in a certain sequence then they will not be able to proceed after that stage when the river level is high.

Edited by Max and 99
  • Helpful 1

Thanks folks!  If they can't leave a log, does that mean they don't get credit for the other three points? Also, I had set the geofencing low, at 20 on most and 40 on another. If I set it wider, and have a secondary puzzle within that area, how do we keep them from just answering that and never going to the ultra cool place that is underwater once every five years?

59 minutes ago, barefootjeff said:

In the builder there's a switch to set whether it has to be played sequentially or not.

image.png.657a24c856719cc06b460d588e9aeb02.png

If you set that slider to OFF (left position), the loacations can be visited in any order so players would still be able to complete your remaining four locations.

Thanks, yes, I did see that switch. I just didn't know what the ramifications would be of skipping one in a sequence. It is dire!

Just now, FairmountWaterWorks said:

If they can't leave a log, does that mean they don't get credit for the other three points?

They will get a geocache find credit for each location they answer correctly. They cannot leave a log until all locations are visited and questions are answered. 

1 minute ago, FairmountWaterWorks said:

If I set it wider, and have a secondary puzzle within that area,

I don't understand this puzzle thing.

• Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, FairmountWaterWorks said:

If I set it wider, and have a secondary puzzle within that area, how do we keep them from just answering that and never going to the ultra cool place that is underwater once every five years?

On the very very rare occasion that the river level is too high, you can edit the coordinates and the question to give them something different just during that time. You can change it again as soon as the river level goes down and they can access what you want them to. Easy!

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, Max and 99 said:

On the very very rare occasion that the river level is too high, you can edit the coordinates and the question to give them something different just during that time. You can change it again as soon as the river level goes down and they can access what you want them to. Easy!

Oh I see, actually change it for a few days! OK that's a possibility. Thanks so much.

1 minute ago, FairmountWaterWorks said:

Oh I see, actually change it for a few days! OK that's a possibility. Thanks so much.

Just fyi, you can edit almost everything on the adventure lab. What you should never do is add a stage or delete a stage. That will cause problems!

2 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

Just fyi, you can edit almost everything on the adventure lab. What you should never do is add a stage or delete a stage. That will cause problems!

Will people be incensed if there are only 4 stages? I thought I could add one later, but I read another thread that explained why that's bad – previous completers feel ripped off. This seems like another reason to only give one point for the entire thing, as others have suggested. I didn't do much to get 25 points!

5 minutes ago, FairmountWaterWorks said:

Will people be incensed if there are only 4 stages? I thought I could add one later, but I read another thread that explained why that's bad – previous completers feel ripped off. This seems like another reason to only give one point for the entire thing, as others have suggested. I didn't do much to get 25 points!

Screenshot_20210510-174739.png

9 minutes ago, FairmountWaterWorks said:

Will people be incensed if there are only 4 stages? I thought I could add one later, but I read another thread that explained why that's bad – previous completers feel ripped off

Although it is a good point I don't think that's the reason Groundspeak warns about this. There will be problems for someone who completed the other stages before you added one. It gets complicated and messy and is not worth the headache! 

If you are not making a bonus cache (or even if you are) you could always turn the entire adventure off temporarily and disable the bonus cache until the river is back to safer levels. Once everything returns to normal just re-enable the bonus cache (if you have one) and turn the adventure back on to 'public'. That way, no one will miss out on your ultra cool location, which, btw,  I can't wait to come find out what it is. I would be upset to read about this ultra cool location in other people's logs knowing I missed out on it because the stage had been temporarily changed to something else. 

• Helpful 1

Theres construction going on at one of my AL locations and the question/answer is inaccessible for now. This is a 10 mile long adventure and I wanted players to be able to complete the series. So during construction I give players both the question and answer. Geofencing assures they made it to the general area thats good enough for me.