Untagged cache

B3ASX

Hi folks. Yesterday I was out with one of my boys and we found 2 or 3 caches near to us. Being quite new to this we started talking about hiding one of our own and looking for suitable spots. We found a little spot that we liked and rather unbelievably, there was a cache already there that is not in the app. It looked quite fresh and we were the first to complete the log (obviously). What’s the etiquette around this?  Is there anything for me to do? I’m not entirely sure what that would be but thought I’d ask 😂 Thanks 

Edited by B3ASX
1 hour ago, B3ASX said:

Hi folks. Yesterday I was out with one of my boys and we found 2 or 3 caches near to us. Being quite new to this we started talking about hiding one of our own and looking for suitable spots. We found a little spot that we liked and rather unbelievably, there was a cache already there that is not in the app. It looked quite fresh and we were the first to complete the log (obviously). What’s the etiquette around this?  Is there anything for me to do? I’m not entirely sure what that would be but thought I’d ask 😂 Thanks 

It could be a cache that has not been published yet.  

Was there a stamp inside it? Could it be a letterbox that no one has found yet? 

2 hours ago, B3ASX said:

We found a little spot that we liked and rather unbelievably, there was a cache already there that is not in the app.

Did the cache have any identifying marks, numbers or company names? GC is the bigger geocaching company but not the only one.

Max and 99 already offered one explanation, another is that it might be for a Mystery or Multi, where the physical container does not have an icon on the map - the icon is somewhere else, a searcher looks at the cache page and solves some clues and that tells them the coords of where to go look for the container.

2 hours ago, B3ASX said:

It could be new, and ready to be published, or it could have been there for some time before the CO asks for it to be published.

- A friend of ours drops them in place during deer season, and usually asks for publish in the Spring.   :)

Could it possibly be "premium member only" or an "advanced" cache ? 

Basic members only see traditionals and events, and only those rated up-to  2 in the app. 

See if it's on the website (if you remembered coordinates).   ;)

Edited by cerberus1
clear
3 hours ago, B3ASX said:

We found a little spot that we liked and rather unbelievably, there was a cache already there that is not in the app.

For a basic member, the app only shows traditional caches with a D/T rating of 2 or less. The website though will show all non-PMO caches to you.

5 hours ago, B3ASX said:

Congratulations on being First to Find (FTF)!

Now you just have to figure out which cache it is so you can log your Find online. If the GC code was on the log or on the container, then that would make the job easier. But it could be a cache that hasn't been published yet, or it could be a puzzle cache or a multi-cache that no one has solved yet, or it could be a PMO cache that you can't see on the web site, or (if you're using Groundspeak's Geocaching app) it could be rated higher than 2 for difficulty or terrain.

If you saved the coordinates where you found the unlisted cache and it didn't have a GC # to identify it then email your local Reviewer. They can tell you if there is an archived listing, a created but unpublished listing, or a physical stage at that location.

I once hid a cache in a clump of woods and some seekers found a completley different container. I checked with the Reviewer and learned it was an old multi final archived several years earlier and abandoned in place. I contacted the old CO who told me I could keep the old container and so I reused it on another hide.

Thanks everyone. I don’t think there was anything other than a log in there and I don’t recall any markings or codes. I know where it is so I’ll go and recheck. Also not sure if it was a premium as don’t they appear on the app as a ‘?’ And it doesn’t appear on the website. I like the idea of the mystery/multi - haven’t come across those yet but only a few weeks into this. Appreciate everyone’s comments. 

• Upvote 1
16 minutes ago, B3ASX said:

I don’t think there was anything other than a log in there and I don’t recall any markings or codes. I know where it is so I’ll go and recheck.

Also not sure if it was a premium as don’t they appear on the app as a ‘?’ And it doesn’t appear on the website. I like the idea of the mystery/multi - haven’t come across those yet but only a few weeks into this. Appreciate everyone’s comments. 

A "?" should be a mystery/puzzle cache.  Good info in Geocaching 101, and cache types are listed in the Help Center.

You'll only come across most other advanced as a basic member, by using the website.   :)