Garmin Oregon 750t Compass Calibration fail

I have two Garmin Oregon 750T units on which I cannot seem to calibrate the compass.  When I bought the first unit, I frequently failed on the 3rd step (flip end over end) but after a couple-three tries I was usually able to get the last step to work.  However, for the last 6 months or so I cannot ever get the 3rd step to succeed.  I have tried, I have had others try, no luck.  I am currently running version 5.90 on at least one unit and probably both.  Also, every time I turn on the units, I have to calibrate otherwise the needle will point either 90 or 180 degrees from the actual tract.  Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

1 minute ago, JustMeVA said:

I have two Garmin Oregon 750T units on which I cannot seem to calibrate the compass.  When I bought the first unit, I frequently failed on the 3rd step (flip end over end) but after a couple-three tries I was usually able to get the last step to work.  However, for the last 6 months or so I cannot ever get the 3rd step to succeed.  I have tried, I have had others try, no luck.  I am currently running version 5.90 on at least one unit and probably both.  Also, every time I turn on the units, I have to calibrate otherwise the needle will point either 90 or 180 degrees from the actual tract.  Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

Each step must be fluid, accurate and done fast.  It should look just like the animation.  If you spin it too slowly, it will fail.

43 minutes ago, JustMeVA said:

Also, every time I turn on the units, I have to calibrate otherwise the needle will point either 90 or 180 degrees from the actual tract.  Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

Please provide a more detailed explanation here. The compass will never be off by those values, and certainly not after each power cycle. 

Please provide detailed information for what you are seeing and how you get there. Screen captures will help immensely.

I have the same problem. I have not been able to calibrate the unit since it was brand new. No matter how smooth, fast, or slow that I do it, it fails the third step instantly every time. It doesn't even begin to let me do the third flip, just right to failure.

Compass calibration has always been the one setting, bar none, that I dread performing on all of the Garmin receivers I own. Some go well, some don't. In fact, if I had a dollar for every failed attempt I could easily buy another unit, lol. And it always seems to be step three, doesn't it?. My newest acquisition, a GPSMAP 65s calibrated first try. Go figure. What you might try is to make sure that you calibrate all of the steps on the same level plane. Your extended arms and hands should be at the same level for all three steps. In step three, flip toward you and if that doesn't work, flip away from you. I find a slower flip works better than a faster flip. I eventually was successful, but I agree it can be frustrating. 

• Funny 1
On 4/8/2022 at 9:25 AM, luvvinbird said:

Compass calibration has always been the one setting, bar none, that I dread performing on all of the Garmin receivers I own. Some go well, some don't.

I consistently find that compass accuracy and calibration are VERY dependent upon battery voltage.  Calibrate on a pair of 'hot' cells and wait until the voltage drops a bit, and the calibration is off.  Calibrate on a half used pair of cells, charge them up, and the calibration is off.  Was true for my 450, and is true for my 600.  It appears to me that the 3-axis chip output is sensitive to input voltage differences, and that Garmin isn't using a constant voltage reference to power the chip in their devices.  Have never been able to get anyone at Garmin to discuss it.