re-using photos from previous waymarks

I have an old waymark that I have found a new category that it will work in. Right now, I can't find my original pictures.

What I have done before is to re-save a copy of the picture from the old waymark, and then use it.

Is there a way to point the waymark image to the image in the old waymark?

16 hours ago, vulture1957 said:

I have an old waymark that I have found a new category that it will work in. Right now, I can't find my original pictures.

What I have done before is to re-save a copy of the picture from the old waymark, and then use it.

If the image is yours, what is the problem with you reusing it?

17 hours ago, vulture1957 said:

I am not aware of any possibility to link one gallery to another, and I doubt that any exists.

However, pictures in the long description are a different story, but that was not the question.

8 hours ago, fi67 said:

I am not aware of any possibility to link one gallery to another, and I doubt that any exists.

However, pictures in the long description are a different story, but that was not the question.

fi67 is giving you the way to Eldorado. Just copy the URLs from the pix you want and put them on the page.

You've used my HTML/CSS so I expect you know how to do that, Lee. :rolleyes:

Aktchelly, that's the best way to post multiple WMs from a single site - put most of the pix for the following WMs on the page. It saves time AND Groundspeak disc space.

Worst case - download them and re-upload them in your new WM.

Edited by ScroogieII
  • Surprised 1

I've done this quite a lot, actually. Down the road I see some of my waymarks from ages ago could fit into more categories. I download each image to my computer, and create a new waymark. So long as the photos are yours, there shouldn't be any problems with this method.

14 hours ago, bluesnote said:

I've done this quite a lot, actually. Down the road I see some of my waymarks from ages ago could fit into more categories. I download each image to my computer, and create a new waymark. So long as the photos are yours, there shouldn't be any problems with this method.

So have I, but the legal aspect was never a part of the question.

It is simply technical. Why do I have to download a picture and then re-upload it to a server that already has it?

This sound silly, and it is, but as far as we know, there is no other way.

7 hours ago, fi67 said:

It is simply technical. Why do I have to download a picture and then re-upload it to a server that already has it?

that was why I was asking. If it's already on the server, it seems to make sense to just point to the old photo rather than uploading a new one.

11 hours ago, fi67 said:

True, it seems repetitive. 

19 hours ago, fi67 said:

Sure, it is a bit annoying from the end users point of view.

But from a programmers point of view the only reason that seems logical is to avoid the overhead of keeping track where the image was also used when deleting one of the image copies for a single listing.

Yes, this could be done with usage of proper data structures, but these need also additional time to handle them - i.e. additional overhead when uploading/reusing a picture and additional overhead when reducing the usage of another picture - and finally removing the real file from the file system, when all usages were removed. And also the step of correctly determining the current usage state of an image is not trivial (we are working in a "stateless" and "multi-threaded" web environment, where the system is not aware if some other web call is changing the same item at the same time). So using a direct link between listing and the image and buying more disk space for uploading the image twice seems to be the cheaper choice.

Just my 2 cents on this topic ... ^_^

• Surprised 1
  • Helpful 2
On 5/20/2021 at 4:07 PM, FamilieFrohne said:

Sure, it is a bit annoying from the end users point of view.

But from a programmers point of view the only reason that seems logical is to avoid the overhead of keeping track where the image was also used when deleting one of the image copies for a single listing.

Yes, this could be done with usage of proper data structures, but these need also additional time to handle them - i.e. additional overhead when uploading/reusing a picture and additional overhead when reducing the usage of another picture - and finally removing the real file from the file system, when all usages were removed. And also the step of correctly determining the current usage state of an image is not trivial (we are working in a "stateless" and "multi-threaded" web environment, where the system is not aware if some other web call is changing the same item at the same time). So using a direct link between listing and the image and buying more disk space for uploading the image twice seems to be the cheaper choice.

Just my 2 cents on this topic ... ^_^

100% agree. Additionally, you have to give the waymarker the opportunity to remove/delete photo A of waymark 1, but keep the same photo for waymark 2 and 3 etc. OR delete photo A for every waymark it was used for (f.e. because it includes something prohibited like a warship in the background). AND you also have to think about the situation, where you remove the third photo of a waymark and decide to delete the file, wherever it was used, but by doing so you delete the default photo of another waymark.

And it would also be nice to have the opportunity to replace a photo. Relatively easy, when it was just used for one waymark. But what, if I used it for several waymarks, but just want to replace it in one of them? This is rather complicated for the programmers and you have to make it easy for the WM owners to understand what they are doing.