Texas Geocoin

VentureForth

I would seriously consider buying these...I'd need to know how many I'd have to buy and how much it would cost. The prices I saw on MrGigabyte's website looked reasonable. Not sure about the shipping costs though...I wouldn't think shipping would cost that much from Canada to the US...$10.00 USD sounds a little steep for shipping on a few coins.

JM-99

quote:
Originally posted by ladyluck:

You're assuming too much. They MIGHT not be coming from Canada!

Heh...they could just about be minted and shipped from Antarctica to Texas for $10.00 standard shipping for 1-5 coins! icon_smile.gif

JM-99

(And I thought $19.71 for a 35-pound package from Colorado to Michigan via UPS ground was quite a bit!)

quote:
Originally posted by ladyluck:

You're assuming too much. They MIGHT not be coming from Canada!

Heh...they could just about be minted and shipped from Antarctica to Texas for $10.00 standard shipping for 1-5 coins! icon_smile.gif

JM-99

(And I thought $19.71 for a 35-pound package from Colorado to Michigan via UPS ground was quite a bit!)

A national tragedy (and a whole lotta income for folks) is the "H" in S/H. Handing pays for the box, bubble wrap, FedEx account, etc. Sometimes it pays for the "handler", too.

Anyone have a design for the Texas coin yet?

---------------

Go! And don't be afraid to get a little wet!

quote:
Originally posted by VentureForth:

A national tragedy (and a whole lotta income for folks) is the "H" in S/H. Handing pays for the box, bubble wrap, FedEx account, etc. Sometimes it pays for the "handler", too.

I sell stuff on ebay quite a bit and never have bogus shipping and "handling" (i.e. "fluff") charges. I always charge the buyer what it costs to ship it. If they send more, I return their change all taped up in the shipment. It's just (to me) not ethical to make money on "handling" charges...it's just not right. Charge more for the product or set a higher starting bid (in the case of auctions), but don't hide behind the guise of "handling" fees in order fleece your customers.

I have the same issues with sellers on the internet too; in particular, computer equipment dealers. (e.g. Computer memory at a certain popular website, 2 x 128MB modules = $12.00 shipping for a few ounces.) It is for this reason that my partner and I don't currently have so-called "setup fees" for our webhosting business. It just feels dirty collecting $35-$50 a pop to press a button to create someone's account...but I digress. Sorry for the soapbox...things like this are really irritating.

quote:

I have access to some pretty spiffy Texas shapefiles...I'll see if I can import some things into Illustrator and come up with something...any requests? I was thinking of having the US there, but making Texas larger than the scale of the rest of the states... icon_smile.gif

JM-99

quote:
Originally posted by VentureForth:

I sell stuff on ebay quite a bit and never have bogus shipping and "handling" (i.e. "fluff") charges. I always charge the buyer what it costs to ship it. If they send more, I return their change all taped up in the shipment. It's just (to me) not ethical to make money on "handling" charges...it's just not right. Charge more for the product or set a higher starting bid (in the case of auctions), but don't hide behind the guise of "handling" fees in order fleece your customers.

I have the same issues with sellers on the internet too; in particular, computer equipment dealers. (e.g. Computer memory at a certain popular website, 2 x 128MB modules = $12.00 shipping for a few ounces.) It is for this reason that my partner and I don't currently have so-called "setup fees" for our webhosting business. It just feels dirty collecting $35-$50 a pop to press a button to create someone's account...but I digress. Sorry for the soapbox...things like this are really irritating.

quote:

I have access to some pretty spiffy Texas shapefiles...I'll see if I can import some things into Illustrator and come up with something...any requests? I was thinking of having the US there, but making Texas larger than the scale of the rest of the states... icon_smile.gif

JM-99

quote:
Originally posted by Neuman:

Well, now that the cat's been let out of the bag, there is a design in the works. It has not been finalized yet but should be within the next couple of days. I'll keep you informed.

Neuman

I heard about that being done from somebody in Houston. Is this the same one? Hope so... Hate to see 100 different geocoins being struck!! They ain't cheap!

---------------

Go! And don't be afraid to get a little wet!

I don't know if any of you have been in contact with MrGigabite or not, but I wanted to pass along some info that might be useful. I have spoken to the owner of geocachetreasure.com and she said that she would love to work with all of you in creating a design for a Texas Geocoin. She could then make them available via her website and you wouldn't have the expense of having the die made and the shipping is less expensive than coming from Canada. Take at look at the site and the 2 different type of Geocoins they offer. If you are interested send mail to info@geocachetreasure.com or post here and I will relay the infomation.

Kevin

I found a place that will do coins for $3.22 each at quantity 100 with no die fees including numbering and enamel on one side. The geotreasure site also looks promising.

Anyway, I'll probably order the 100 from the other site and go that route...yeah, I'll have a hundred, but I plan on finding quite a few geocaches so I'll still probably come out better than buying a few at a time -- and it'll be my own custom design to boot.

...and they can have them to me in about 28 days. icon_smile.gif Before the flood of inquiries, it's at http://www.honorcoins.com/level1.html

JM-99

I found a place that will do coins for $3.22 each at quantity 100 with no die fees including numbering and enamel on one side. The geotreasure site also looks promising.

Anyway, I'll probably order the 100 from the other site and go that route...yeah, I'll have a hundred, but I plan on finding quite a few geocaches so I'll still probably come out better than buying a few at a time -- and it'll be my own custom design to boot.

...and they can have them to me in about 28 days. icon_smile.gif Before the flood of inquiries, it's at http://www.honorcoins.com/level1.html

JM-99

Hello everyone,

I have my own embroidery company and I am thinking about putting out a patch for each state. The patch would have the state in the background and the geocache logo on top of the state.

Then these items could be sewn on a jacket as one collects from each state. This could be done at a low cost where you could also do trading of patches...

What do you think?

Wretsub

Wretsub

Angel Pockets Embroidey

"Our Stitches are Heavenly!!"

wretsub@hotmail.com

quote:
Originally posted by Jumpmaster:

The prices I saw on MrGigabyte's website looked reasonable. Not sure about the shipping costs though...I wouldn't think shipping would cost that much from Canada to the US

A brief explanation. The S & H is indeed shipping and Handling (with a capital "H").

Handling the geocoin orders is a huge component of our fee. Manually finding and sorting numbered coins, ziplock protectors, customized individual weatherproof label numbered for each coin, packaging, shipping material, travel to post office, postage, customs declarations, insurance, database entry for tracking and logging, database entry for coin owner authentication, accounting, invoicing, credit card transaction processing, tax submission, web site maintenance, hosting etc., just to name a few. These may sound trivial, but all told they easily amount to well over $10 on most orders.

The shipping (postage) to the US from Canada can range from $5 to $20 depending on the number of coins ordered. There is a big jump in postage fees at 250g and at 500g. Also,insuring the larger orders is quite costly. As such, we chose a fair rate of $9.50 for all US bound orders.

I hope this clarifies our shipping and handling rates.

I have always contended that purchace price should include everything but the mailing. I don't go to the grocery store, buy a gallon of milk for $2.98, take it to the counter, and get stocking fee, cash register usage fee, crate fee, etc. tacked on to the price.

Milking the cow, pasterizing, bottling, and delivery are part of the cost of doing business, and are inclusive in the cost of the product.

Taxes (only when truly leagally applicable), shipping and insurance are extra, and should be duly noted.

It is SO common online to see lower prices and higher S&H. It's all cloak and dagger trickery stuff and marketing. It'd be nice to just

Many companies also charge sales tax when they are not in a position to forward those taxes to the proper revenue center.

Now, I don't hold to the above premises to places like ebay, where the sold amount is what the seller should clear after all else. Many sellers state actual shipping & insurance, others have a flat rate to make the bidding process smoother.

Like I started this post, though, each to their own. icon_smile.gif

---------------

wavey.gif Go! And don't be afraid to get a little wet!

I have always contended that purchace price should include everything but the mailing. I don't go to the grocery store, buy a gallon of milk for $2.98, take it to the counter, and get stocking fee, cash register usage fee, crate fee, etc. tacked on to the price.

Milking the cow, pasterizing, bottling, and delivery are part of the cost of doing business, and are inclusive in the cost of the product.

Taxes (only when truly leagally applicable), shipping and insurance are extra, and should be duly noted.

It is SO common online to see lower prices and higher S&H. It's all cloak and dagger trickery stuff and marketing. It'd be nice to just

Many companies also charge sales tax when they are not in a position to forward those taxes to the proper revenue center.

Now, I don't hold to the above premises to places like ebay, where the sold amount is what the seller should clear after all else. Many sellers state actual shipping & insurance, others have a flat rate to make the bidding process smoother.

Like I started this post, though, each to their own. icon_smile.gif

---------------

wavey.gif Go! And don't be afraid to get a little wet!

There are no tricks or hidden costs. It is spelled out on the web site.

If we factored in the true costs, save the tax and stamp, then if you bought one coin it would be about $10. If you by 30, you still pay only $9.50 S & H, where our cost is more like $25.

Our price of coins is presented on a sliding scale. The more you buy the cheaper the rate per coin. Even tough our costs go up, we do not pass that along to the buyer.

If it will make you feel better, in your case we would be happy to make an exception and charge you $10.00 a coin and give you free shipping.

quote:
Originally posted by MrGigabyte:

Just because it's "spelled out" doesn't make it right and doesn't mean it isn't a hidden cost. I agree with VentureForth -- these "handling" costs should be inclusive in the price of the item. I don't get it...I can go here (http://www.honorcoins.com/level1.html) and buy 100 coins for myself (no die fees) and have them minted with my own design for $285.00 with consecutive numbering (i.e. not a "weatherproof label").

quote:
If we factored in the true costs, save the tax and stamp, then if you bought one coin it would be about $10.

Right, so if you did that I could either buy 28.5 of your coins or 100 of my own. What a bargain! icon_smile.gif (Maybe that's why the "handling" fees?) It's starting to sound like you had to pay some large die fees to get these struck. Either that or your business/website has absolutely no automation whatsoever.

As for myself, I'm going to buy 100 from http://www.honorcoins.com/

Let's take a look at some things a little more closely:

1. You're trying to get compensated for creating and maintaining a database to track these? This is a joke, right? Any decent programmer could do this in less than a half hour and maintenance should be minimal with something like this...the user should be able to enter their coin(s) into a database AUTOMATICALLY where one of your people doesn't have to enter the data manually. Entering the info manually in this day and age is unnecessary, to put it nicely.

2. Accounting/invoicing/credit card transactions should also be automatic. All you should have to do is batch the orders and even THAT can be done automatically, including authentication. We do this in our webhosting business -- it works fine.

3. "Travel to post office"????? Funny, the mail carrier comes to my business every single day except holidays and Sundays here...

4. And website maintenance??? I oversee about 750 websites and it takes less than a couple hours a month to maintain them unless some idiot that also has access to it has gone in and screwed something up.

quote:
If it will make you feel better, in your case we would be happy to make an exception and charge you $10.00 a coin and give you free shipping.

This is cute, but no one is going to pay you $10.00 a coin when they can buy either 28.5 from you at that price or 100 of their own design and the same functionality. I hope this is making sense -- what I'm trying to say is a) you're charging entirely too much on the "handling" fees and ;) it sounds as though there may not have been proper research into this project in the first place if, in order to recoup your costs, you feel each coin should sell for $10.00 if you were to make the costs inclusive. That just isn't right and I'm not going to do this. If others want to, more power to them but I decline.

Sell away! I bet you have folks lined up ready to buy those beauties! icon_smile.gif

JM-99

p.s. I'm going to pay the extra .35 cents a coin for hand-painted enamel on my own custom-designed 100 coins. icon_smile.gif

[This message was edited by Jumpmaster on June 21, 2002 at 09:51 PM.]

quote:

Just because it's "spelled out" doesn't make it right and doesn't mean it isn't a hidden cost. I agree with VentureForth -- these "handling" costs should be inclusive in the price of the item. I don't get it...I can go here (http://www.honorcoins.com/level1.html) and buy 100 coins for myself (no die fees) and have them minted with my own design for $285.00 with consecutive numbering (i.e. not a "weatherproof label").

quote:
If we factored in the true costs, save the tax and stamp, then if you bought one coin it would be about $10.

Right, so if you did that I could either buy 28.5 of your coins or 100 of my own. What a bargain! icon_smile.gif (Maybe that's why the "handling" fees?) It's starting to sound like you had to pay some large die fees to get these struck. Either that or your business/website has absolutely no automation whatsoever.

As for myself, I'm going to buy 100 from http://www.honorcoins.com/

Let's take a look at some things a little more closely:

1. You're trying to get compensated for creating and maintaining a database to track these? This is a joke, right? Any decent programmer could do this in less than a half hour and maintenance should be minimal with something like this...the user should be able to enter their coin(s) into a database AUTOMATICALLY where one of your people doesn't have to enter the data manually. Entering the info manually in this day and age is unnecessary, to put it nicely.

2. Accounting/invoicing/credit card transactions should also be automatic. All you should have to do is batch the orders and even THAT can be done automatically, including authentication. We do this in our webhosting business -- it works fine.

3. "Travel to post office"????? Funny, the mail carrier comes to my business every single day except holidays and Sundays here...

4. And website maintenance??? I oversee about 750 websites and it takes less than a couple hours a month to maintain them unless some idiot that also has access to it has gone in and screwed something up.

quote:

This is cute, but no one is going to pay you $10.00 a coin when they can buy either 28.5 from you at that price or 100 of their own design and the same functionality. I hope this is making sense -- what I'm trying to say is a) you're charging entirely too much on the "handling" fees and ;) it sounds as though there may not have been proper research into this project in the first place if, in order to recoup your costs, you feel each coin should sell for $10.00 if you were to make the costs inclusive. That just isn't right and I'm not going to do this. If others want to, more power to them but I decline.

Sell away! I bet you have folks lined up ready to buy those beauties! icon_smile.gif

JM-99

p.s. I'm going to pay the extra .35 cents a coin for hand-painted enamel on my own custom-designed 100 coins. icon_smile.gif

[This message was edited by Jumpmaster on June 21, 2002 at 09:51 PM.]

quote:

Either that or your business/website has absolutely no automation whatsoever.

Huhhh.. have even bothered to check out the web site?

quote:

1. You're trying to get compensated for creating and maintaining a database to track these? This is a joke, right? Any decent programmer could do this in less than a half hour and maintenance should be minimal with something like

Having a website built by a programmer is the demise of many well intentioned sites. We prefer to use a designer and graphic artist to design our sites. Unlike programmers that can be had for $10 and hour, a decent graphic artist can easily command $50 an hour. So, the designer wants to get get paid... and that is no joke.

quote:

this...the user should be able to enter their coin(s) into a database AUTOMATICALLY where one of your people doesn't have to enter the data manually. Entering the info manually in this day and age is unnecessary, to put it nicely.

Again.. have you even bothered to check out the web site?

quote:

That is a different scenario. You are selling a service, not a product. If a transaction is fraudulent, you are out nothing, where as we are out real costs.

quote:

In Canada, postmen ONLY deliver mail, they DO NOT pick up mail. There is no mail service on Saturday or Sunday, which is moot.

Packages to the US must pass US Customs, which requires hand filled in Customs Decorations that are only available at the Post Office.

quote:

We must edit logs of coin exchanges as many finders/hiders appear to use English as a second language. We prefer not to proliferate illiteracy on our site, as is the case in many of these forums. This is a personal choice on our part, but this does take time, and that time has a tangible cost which we must recover.

quote:
) it sounds as though there may not have been proper research into this project in the first place

Our "research" was provide by at least 50 cachers over a span of 3 months. Many of the contributors to the research were American. Design, mint selection, costing, shipping, tracking methods, etc., were all researched by the end users before one cent was spent.

Perhaps if you did some research on your own, prior to posting, you would have answered your own questions. Full history and market research can be found in this tread... Canadian GeoCoins

quote:

I checked it out a couple of months ago. It's crap and a three-year-old could design a better site.

quote:

Having a website built by a programmer is the demise of many well intentioned sites. We prefer to use a designer and graphic artist to design our sites. Unlike programmers that can be had for $10 and hour, a decent graphic artist can easily command $50 an hour. So, the designer wants to get get paid... and that is no joke.

Two things: 1) The "designers" I've met know little to nothing about how to actually make an interactive webpage nor how to appropriately use an SQL database. 2) If you hired a "designer" to design your little website at $50.00 an hour, you need to hunt them down and get your money back because your website is garbage. You got ripped off -- big time.

quote:

That is a different scenario. You are selling a service, not a product. If a transaction is fraudulent, you are out nothing, where as we are out real costs.

The verification service we use will allow you to set up any level of authentication you like. Maybe you should use a modern verification service?

quote:

In Canada, postmen ONLY deliver mail, they DO NOT pick up mail. There is no mail service on Saturday or Sunday, which is moot.

Figures.

quote:

Packages to the US must pass US Customs, which requires hand filled in Customs Decorations that are only available at the Post Office.

Right. Why anyone would endeavor to try and do this from outside the US is a mystery to me, especially when their primary consumers are in the US. None of this makes sense...you have customs declarations, forms, and fees, yet you charge Texas sales tax. This is flippin' idiotic. If you're selling these things through a proxy in Texas anyway, why don't you just ship ALL the doggone things there so you'll only have to do the customs stuff ONCE?! For that matter, if they're shipped from in the US, you can even have your mail picked up for you, thus eliminating another alleged cost you say you incur.

quote:

We must edit logs of coin exchanges as many finders/hiders appear to use English as a second language. We prefer not to proliferate illiteracy on our site, as is the case in many of these forums. This is a personal choice on our part, but this does take time, and that time has a tangible cost which we must recover.

The above statement is a stupid argument and I'm not going to buy into this one either.

quote:

Our "research" was provide by at least 50 cachers over a span of 3 months.

Oh, well at least the research was done by marketing professionals. icon_rolleyes.gif

I already read the other thread a long time ago. I think the best course of action would be for me to buy several hundred serialized coins of my own design and sell them from here in the US without any bogus "handling" fees. I'm certain I could beat your prices by a mile and a half (that's 2.414 km, to you).

Have a nice day!

Jumpmaster

You have no idea what "cost analysis" actually means, do you?

[This message was edited by Jumpmaster on June 24, 2002 at 02:54 PM.]

quote:

I checked it out a couple of months ago. It's crap and a three-year-old could design a better site.

quote:

Two things: 1) The "designers" I've met know little to nothing about how to actually make an interactive webpage nor how to appropriately use an SQL database. 2) If you hired a "designer" to design your little website at $50.00 an hour, you need to hunt them down and get your money back because your website is garbage. You got ripped off -- big time.

quote:

The verification service we use will allow you to set up any level of authentication you like. Maybe you should use a modern verification service?

quote:

Figures.

quote:

Right. Why anyone would endeavor to try and do this from outside the US is a mystery to me, especially when their primary consumers are in the US. None of this makes sense...you have customs declarations, forms, and fees, yet you charge Texas sales tax. This is flippin' idiotic. If you're selling these things through a proxy in Texas anyway, why don't you just ship ALL the doggone things there so you'll only have to do the customs stuff ONCE?! For that matter, if they're shipped from in the US, you can even have your mail picked up for you, thus eliminating another alleged cost you say you incur.

quote:

The above statement is a stupid argument and I'm not going to buy into this one either.

quote:

Our "research" was provide by at least 50 cachers over a span of 3 months.

Oh, well at least the research was done by marketing professionals. icon_rolleyes.gif

I already read the other thread a long time ago. I think the best course of action would be for me to buy several hundred serialized coins of my own design and sell them from here in the US without any bogus "handling" fees. I'm certain I could beat your prices by a mile and a half (that's 2.414 km, to you).

Have a nice day!

Jumpmaster

You have no idea what "cost analysis" actually means, do you?

[This message was edited by Jumpmaster on June 24, 2002 at 02:54 PM.]

Jumpmaster,

I'm not sure how many times you have to be told something before it sinks in, so I'll try it ONE MORE TIME! The Canadian Geocoin company IS NOT selling the Texas Geocoin. I liked their coin and contacted them to help with the design. I then had it minted and will be selling it through my HOUSTON BASED company Old Capitol Club, Inc. They are also helping with my web page design. You might as well not waste your time viewing it, as I'm sure it is not up to your high standards! There were no three year olds available when I was looking! As far as sales tax, you should talk to the State Comptroller in Austin.

I would be more than happy to answer any future questions on the subject of the Texas Geocoin. Please direct them through my bosses at canadian Geocoin icon_wink.gif

Jumpmaster,

I'm not sure how many times you have to be told something before it sinks in, so I'll try it ONE MORE TIME! The Canadian Geocoin company IS NOT selling the Texas Geocoin. I liked their coin and contacted them to help with the design. I then had it minted and will be selling it through my HOUSTON BASED company Old Capitol Club, Inc. They are also helping with my web page design. You might as well not waste your time viewing it, as I'm sure it is not up to your high standards! There were no three year olds available when I was looking! As far as sales tax, you should talk to the State Comptroller in Austin.

I would be more than happy to answer any future questions on the subject of the Texas Geocoin. Please direct them through my bosses at canadian Geocoin icon_wink.gif

quote:

If you hired a "designer" to design your little website at $50.00 an hour, you need to hunt them down and get your money back because your website is garbage.

Maybe you should use a modern verification service?

Why anyone would endeavor to try and do this from outside the US is a mystery to me, especially when their primary consumers are in the US. None of this makes sense...you have customs declarations, forms, and fees, yet you charge Texas sales tax. This is flippin' idiotic.

Thank you for most favorable comments. They are most appreciated and constructive.

Why would I endeavor to do this in Canada and not the US you ask?

BECAUSE THEY ARE CANADIAN GEOCOINS. What part of CANADA don't you understand.

www.geocoins.ca

Designed in Canada, made in Canada, made for Canadian geocachers by Canadians. Where would you suggest we set up shop? If someone in the US wants to by them, that is great, but there is a small matter of an international border to get them across.

We absolutely do not charge any tax other than what we are bound to charge by the Canadian Government. That is 7% GST that is charged on every transaction in Canada. US customers may file a GST rebate with Canada Customs to get the tax paid back.

quote:

Jumpmaster, I am not sure what your problem is, but the link I provided was to the complete history of this project. If you read any of it, you will see that this was indeed planned, designed, and executed as a group project. Those that contributed to the project also contributed by commitments to purchase coins. Other input was provided by Mount10bike as well as Jeremy.

This is called market research and there is no better type. That is, the actual future buyers contributed to the project financially.

Your comments about our postal system are unwarranted.

quote:

If you hired a "designer" to design your little website at $50.00 an hour, you need to hunt them down and get your money back because your website is garbage.

Maybe you should use a modern verification service?

Why anyone would endeavor to try and do this from outside the US is a mystery to me, especially when their primary consumers are in the US. None of this makes sense...you have customs declarations, forms, and fees, yet you charge Texas sales tax. This is flippin' idiotic.

Thank you for most favorable comments. They are most appreciated and constructive.

www.geocoins.ca

Designed in Canada, made in Canada, made for Canadian geocachers by Canadians. Where would you suggest we set up shop? If someone in the US wants to by them, that is great, but there is a small matter of an international border to get them across.

We absolutely do not charge any tax other than what we are bound to charge by the Canadian Government. That is 7% GST that is charged on every transaction in Canada. US customers may file a GST rebate with Canada Customs to get the tax paid back.

quote:

Jumpmaster, I am not sure what your problem is, but the link I provided was to the complete history of this project. If you read any of it, you will see that this was indeed planned, designed, and executed as a group project. Those that contributed to the project also contributed by commitments to purchase coins. Other input was provided by Mount10bike as well as Jeremy.

This is called market research and there is no better type. That is, the actual future buyers contributed to the project financially.

Your comments about our postal system are unwarranted.

quote:

You're welcome. Thanks for your inane e-mail too...it gave us a real laugh here at the office! icon_smile.gif

My comments still hold true, however...your website looks like crap (you have drastically overpaid your little "designer") and you're overcharging for your "handling" fees.

But hey, that's ok. I'm going to get a few k minted with my design and sell them myself for half of what people are daft enough to pay you.

28 of yours or 100 of mine? Gee...still looks like 100 of mine wins. icon_smile.gif

That website again is http://www.honorcoins.com and I have absolutely zero affiliation with them other than I am going to be able to buy a hundred of my own coins of my own design instead of 28 of the wonderfully overpriced Canadian ones.

quote:

The part where the Texas company got the design from you people. You're collaborating, as far as I'm concerned. Your actual affiliation was unclear before.

Anyway, I've had enough of your mindless justifications for your "handling" fees. Leave it to you people to tack on fees for this, that, and the other that should have been figured into the price of the item from the beginning. Why am I not surprised...

You still have no idea what "cost analysis" means, do you? You have failed to demonstrate why you're inflating your "handling" fees. It doesn't matter to me as I will not be buying your crap anyway...mine will look infinitely better than yours and the copycat Texas geocoin.

You do owe your potential customers a more valid explanation of why you're ripping the heck out of them on "handling" fees. Trying to make up some perceived lost income from not pricing the coin correctly in the first place is not a valid reason. You might as well have said, "We charge outrageous handling fees because we just want more money and didn't figure these costs in to begin with because we don't know how to plan a project."

Oh and what I actually said before was a 3-year-old could design a better website than yours. Not sure what orifice you were pulling the other stuff out of in your terrifically entertaining e-mail. icon_smile.gif

Jumpmaster

quote:

You're welcome. Thanks for your inane e-mail too...it gave us a real laugh here at the office! icon_smile.gif

My comments still hold true, however...your website looks like crap (you have drastically overpaid your little "designer") and you're overcharging for your "handling" fees.

But hey, that's ok. I'm going to get a few k minted with my design and sell them myself for half of what people are daft enough to pay you.

28 of yours or 100 of mine? Gee...still looks like 100 of mine wins. icon_smile.gif

That website again is http://www.honorcoins.com and I have absolutely zero affiliation with them other than I am going to be able to buy a hundred of my own coins of my own design instead of 28 of the wonderfully overpriced Canadian ones.

quote:

The part where the Texas company got the design from you people. You're collaborating, as far as I'm concerned. Your actual affiliation was unclear before.

Anyway, I've had enough of your mindless justifications for your "handling" fees. Leave it to you people to tack on fees for this, that, and the other that should have been figured into the price of the item from the beginning. Why am I not surprised...

You still have no idea what "cost analysis" means, do you? You have failed to demonstrate why you're inflating your "handling" fees. It doesn't matter to me as I will not be buying your crap anyway...mine will look infinitely better than yours and the copycat Texas geocoin.

You do owe your potential customers a more valid explanation of why you're ripping the heck out of them on "handling" fees. Trying to make up some perceived lost income from not pricing the coin correctly in the first place is not a valid reason. You might as well have said, "We charge outrageous handling fees because we just want more money and didn't figure these costs in to begin with because we don't know how to plan a project."

Oh and what I actually said before was a 3-year-old could design a better website than yours. Not sure what orifice you were pulling the other stuff out of in your terrifically entertaining e-mail. icon_smile.gif

Jumpmaster

By the way jumpmaster, if you didn't catch on, the last line of my previous post was SARCASM. I know such a big word will be confusing to you, but look it up in a dictionary - darn an even bigger word icon_confused.gif

On a lighter note, let me assure all of you fine geocachers around the world who are reading this forum (and that have more than a whopping 9 finds to their credit) that jumpmaster is not a typical Texan and that the majority of us are quite friendly.

Fortunately, we live in a free country (I'm talking about the US, jumpmaster) and we are all free to do pretty much as we please, but why do you feel the need to denegrate Mr Gigabyte and the Canadian Geocoin? My grandmother always said "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all". As a 7th generation Texan (by the way, with no Canadian ancestry whatsoever icon_wink.gif) I am embarassed by the way you are acting.

Over the past few months while looking into producing a Texas geocoin, I visited many sites, including the one that you are promoting (hmmm, are you a D.C. lackey??) and concluded that the CA geocoin was a high quality coin with a design that was similar to my ideas. I am grateful that they were much more open minded than you and willing to work with me on the design. I am curious however, to see your final design. As much as you have been touting it in this thread, both the coin AND the web page should be a work of art. Why don't you put your money where your mouth is, like I have, and show us what you can do? We can let the good people of the geocaching world decide which coin and/or web site they prefer. Maybe if you're lucky, you can find a five year old to design your site and put us all to shame - watch out Jeremy!!

I'm not sure what jumpmaster is drinking, Mr. G., but anybody who jumps out of a perfectly good airplane, as we say down here, just ain't right!! icon_razz.gif

txwood.JPG

[This message was edited by Neuman on June 24, 2002 at 07:44 PM.]

By the way jumpmaster, if you didn't catch on, the last line of my previous post was SARCASM. I know such a big word will be confusing to you, but look it up in a dictionary - darn an even bigger word icon_confused.gif

On a lighter note, let me assure all of you fine geocachers around the world who are reading this forum (and that have more than a whopping 9 finds to their credit) that jumpmaster is not a typical Texan and that the majority of us are quite friendly.

Fortunately, we live in a free country (I'm talking about the US, jumpmaster) and we are all free to do pretty much as we please, but why do you feel the need to denegrate Mr Gigabyte and the Canadian Geocoin? My grandmother always said "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all". As a 7th generation Texan (by the way, with no Canadian ancestry whatsoever icon_wink.gif) I am embarassed by the way you are acting.

Over the past few months while looking into producing a Texas geocoin, I visited many sites, including the one that you are promoting (hmmm, are you a D.C. lackey??) and concluded that the CA geocoin was a high quality coin with a design that was similar to my ideas. I am grateful that they were much more open minded than you and willing to work with me on the design. I am curious however, to see your final design. As much as you have been touting it in this thread, both the coin AND the web page should be a work of art. Why don't you put your money where your mouth is, like I have, and show us what you can do? We can let the good people of the geocaching world decide which coin and/or web site they prefer. Maybe if you're lucky, you can find a five year old to design your site and put us all to shame - watch out Jeremy!!

I'm not sure what jumpmaster is drinking, Mr. G., but anybody who jumps out of a perfectly good airplane, as we say down here, just ain't right!! icon_razz.gif

txwood.JPG

[This message was edited by Neuman on June 24, 2002 at 07:44 PM.]

Jumpmaster - two more things I forgot:

1) Why would a foreign company choose to sell coins through a 'proxy' in Texas? This would only increase their costs through both Franchise taxes and the time and cost involved to collect and forward sales tax to the State of Texas. The only benefit this would have on anyone, is to give YOU something to complain about!

2) Why would I form a corporation 4 years ago to act as a 'proxy' for a company to sell a product that did not yet exist?

oops, one more....

3) How do your two degrees in geography make you an expert in computer programing/design, or are you just not sharing with us the myriad of other degrees you hold?

well, maybe one more

4.)

collaborate -To work together, especially in a joint intellectual effort.

What an awful concept - working together - especially with our sworn enemies, the Canadians!!!

txwood.JPG

I purchased some of the Mr G's Geocoins. They are of very good quality. Each coin is numbered and each in a plastic bag of the same number. They are trackable through the web site. My purchase was easy, and every thing was handled professionally. (Thank you Mr G!).

My real question is when are we going to be able to purchase Texas Geocoins!? Quit teasing us with those pictures! Any time soon?

Save a life, Adopt a pet from your local animal shelter.

quote:

By the way jumpmaster, if you didn't catch on, the last line of my previous post was SARCASM.

As you'll note, I was ignoring you and didn't acknowledge your attempt at sarcasm...I typically do that to people that I find are of obviously lower intelligence, such as yourself but you chose to persist. A quick read of your post(s) will show that *I* am not the one in need of a dictionary here...

quote:

(and that have more than a whopping 9 finds to their credit)

When I log my finds online (rarely), I do so under a different username, Einstein.

quote:

...the majority of us are quite friendly.

Hey, guess what...I'm as friendly as the next person when someone isn't trying to rip me off through so-called "handling" fees. I notice you don't mention how much the shipping charges are on your awe-inspiring webpage. I gather this is because you also charge insane shipping and "handling" fees...

quote:

...why do you feel the need to denegrate Mr Gigabyte and the Canadian Geocoin?

Ok, maybe you didn't catch it the first thirty times, so I'll say it again for you in mr. 8-bit's terms so you can comprehend it:

He charge too much for he handling fee and his website awful. (The reason for the obvious grammatical errors will be apparent to those that have read the thread...)

quote:
My grandmother always said "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all". As a 7th generation Texan (by the way, with no Canadian ancestry whatsoever icon_wink.gif) I am embarassed by the way you are acting.

7th generation? That's it?? Heck, MY family's been here a lot longer than yours has!

quote:
Over the past few months while looking into producing a Texas geocoin, I visited many sites, including the one that you are promoting (hmmm, are you a D.C. lackey??)

Am I supposed to know what you're talking about? WTF is "D.C."??? I have no affiliation with any company except my webhosting company (which you'll note I have NOT mentioned the name of here!). I hold no assets in coin minting outlets and was simply offering a $2.85 alternative to a $9.95 "handling" (fluff) charge.

quote:
I am curious however, to see your final design. As much as you have been touting it in this thread, both the coin AND the web page should be a work of art. Why don't you put your money where your mouth is, like I have, and show us what you can do?

Oh, believe me...when I get the coins ordered/minted and the webpage up, you two pieces of dog sh--...err..."people" will be the first to know.

quote:

We can let the good people of the geocaching world decide which coin and/or web site they prefer. Maybe if you're lucky, you can find a five year old to design your site and put us all to shame - watch out Jeremy!!

No, see unlike you, I get PAID to build websites. icon_smile.gif This isn't a hobby or some half-as@#ed attempt at trying to get rich by having a web presence like it apparently is for SOME people on here. OTHER PEOPLE PAY ME TO DESIGN THEIR WEBSITES and they don't look like total @$$ like yours does. Yours is an eyesore!

BTW, I don't care one way or the other if you and 8-bit like my website. The purpose of the site would be to offer folks an alternative to your overpriced chunks of junk. Have you ever seen a REAL challenge coin like those issued by the military? They are much classier than the gaudy ones you two are hawking.

quote:

1) There's no such thing as a "perfectly good airplane".

2) At least I have the backbone to do such a thing...I take comfort in knowing that you'll never possess such courage. icon_smile.gif

quote:

...two more things I forgot:

What? Old age creeping up on you already, you senile SOB?

quote:

1) Why would a foreign company choose to sell coins through a 'proxy' in Texas?

Beats me...you're the one that lacks the creativity to come up with your own coin design...

quote:

2) Why would I form a corporation 4 years ago to act as a 'proxy' for a company to sell a product that did not yet exist?

Maybe it’s because you're from Houston? Must be the air you breathe down there...(And you talk about what I'm drinking...you have a he#@ of a lot of room to talk...Hey, enjoy that 55MPH speed limit down there, Loser! icon_smile.gif )

Oh, and just because your company already existed does not mean it isn't a proxy for some other business venture now.

quote:

oops, one more....

Moron...

quote:

3) How do your two degrees in geography make you an expert in computer programing/design, or are you just not sharing with us the myriad of other degrees you hold?

I've been designing web pages since 1992 and programing (sic) computers in general for a LOT longer than that. How long have you been doing it, smart a@#?

quote:

well, maybe one more

Yawn...

quote:

What an awful concept - working together - especially with our sworn enemies, the Canadians!!!

You're a flaming moron. Your attempt at humor is laughable and it's obvious you missed the points I've made before so here they are again. Get an adult to explain them to you, if need be:

1. 8-bit is charging entirely too much for "handling" the coins.

2. Both of your websites are total crap holes…veritable wastelands of the internet.

3. You can ingest all your coins so you can hear them make a nice "ping" in the toilet when they exit for all I care! I value them that much! icon_smile.gif

Jumpmaster

[This message was edited by Jumpmaster on June 24, 2002 at 10:39 PM.]

quote:

By the way jumpmaster, if you didn't catch on, the last line of my previous post was SARCASM.

As you'll note, I was ignoring you and didn't acknowledge your attempt at sarcasm...I typically do that to people that I find are of obviously lower intelligence, such as yourself but you chose to persist. A quick read of your post(s) will show that *I* am not the one in need of a dictionary here...

quote:

(and that have more than a whopping 9 finds to their credit)

When I log my finds online (rarely), I do so under a different username, Einstein.

quote:

...the majority of us are quite friendly.

Hey, guess what...I'm as friendly as the next person when someone isn't trying to rip me off through so-called "handling" fees. I notice you don't mention how much the shipping charges are on your awe-inspiring webpage. I gather this is because you also charge insane shipping and "handling" fees...

quote:

...why do you feel the need to denegrate Mr Gigabyte and the Canadian Geocoin?

Ok, maybe you didn't catch it the first thirty times, so I'll say it again for you in mr. 8-bit's terms so you can comprehend it:

He charge too much for he handling fee and his website awful. (The reason for the obvious grammatical errors will be apparent to those that have read the thread...)

quote:
My grandmother always said "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all". As a 7th generation Texan (by the way, with no Canadian ancestry whatsoever icon_wink.gif) I am embarassed by the way you are acting.

7th generation? That's it?? Heck, MY family's been here a lot longer than yours has!

quote:
Over the past few months while looking into producing a Texas geocoin, I visited many sites, including the one that you are promoting (hmmm, are you a D.C. lackey??)

Am I supposed to know what you're talking about? WTF is "D.C."??? I have no affiliation with any company except my webhosting company (which you'll note I have NOT mentioned the name of here!). I hold no assets in coin minting outlets and was simply offering a $2.85 alternative to a $9.95 "handling" (fluff) charge.

quote:
I am curious however, to see your final design. As much as you have been touting it in this thread, both the coin AND the web page should be a work of art. Why don't you put your money where your mouth is, like I have, and show us what you can do?

Oh, believe me...when I get the coins ordered/minted and the webpage up, you two pieces of dog sh--...err..."people" will be the first to know.

quote:

We can let the good people of the geocaching world decide which coin and/or web site they prefer. Maybe if you're lucky, you can find a five year old to design your site and put us all to shame - watch out Jeremy!!

No, see unlike you, I get PAID to build websites. icon_smile.gif This isn't a hobby or some half-as@#ed attempt at trying to get rich by having a web presence like it apparently is for SOME people on here. OTHER PEOPLE PAY ME TO DESIGN THEIR WEBSITES and they don't look like total @$$ like yours does. Yours is an eyesore!

BTW, I don't care one way or the other if you and 8-bit like my website. The purpose of the site would be to offer folks an alternative to your overpriced chunks of junk. Have you ever seen a REAL challenge coin like those issued by the military? They are much classier than the gaudy ones you two are hawking.

quote:

1) There's no such thing as a "perfectly good airplane".

2) At least I have the backbone to do such a thing...I take comfort in knowing that you'll never possess such courage. icon_smile.gif

quote:

...two more things I forgot:

What? Old age creeping up on you already, you senile SOB?

quote:

1) Why would a foreign company choose to sell coins through a 'proxy' in Texas?

Beats me...you're the one that lacks the creativity to come up with your own coin design...

quote:

Maybe it’s because you're from Houston? Must be the air you breathe down there...(And you talk about what I'm drinking...you have a he#@ of a lot of room to talk...Hey, enjoy that 55MPH speed limit down there, Loser! icon_smile.gif )

Oh, and just because your company already existed does not mean it isn't a proxy for some other business venture now.

quote:

oops, one more....

Moron...

quote:

I've been designing web pages since 1992 and programing (sic) computers in general for a LOT longer than that. How long have you been doing it, smart a@#?

quote:

well, maybe one more

Yawn...

quote:

You're a flaming moron. Your attempt at humor is laughable and it's obvious you missed the points I've made before so here they are again. Get an adult to explain them to you, if need be:

1. 8-bit is charging entirely too much for "handling" the coins.

2. Both of your websites are total crap holes…veritable wastelands of the internet.

3. You can ingest all your coins so you can hear them make a nice "ping" in the toilet when they exit for all I care! I value them that much! icon_smile.gif

Jumpmaster

[This message was edited by Jumpmaster on June 24, 2002 at 10:39 PM.]