GC code cut off when printing cache pages

The Snowdog

OK so this is pretty small potatoes... the GC code on a printed cache page (yes, I usually print quite a bit when out caching where data services will not be found) is too far to the right and gets cut off. My guess is that this just needs a little adjustment in the "print" section of the style sheet. But like I said, a minor little annoyance but it would be nice for it to be addressed some day.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

I make printouts to give to the owners of private property where I have hidden caches. I noticed this same thing a week or so ago.

I also noticed that on SOME cache pages when I click (File, Print) in  Firefox there is a light area on the screen and on the printed page in the area of the GC logo and the cache title.

Have not seen a way to fix these things.

Firefox 88.0

Win 10

I've tried a lot of things, and it is frustrating that the default now clips the GC Code. 

Try this:

Just now I highlighted (right-click selected) the cache description and as many logs as I wanted, then right-clicked anywhere on the selected page, and then the GC Code is in the printout!

I simply need to remember to do that :anicute:.  I usually don't have a need to print a cache page, but sometimes it comes in handy.

EDIT:  I notice that in Chrome with the "GeoPrinter" extension in view, the entire GC Code is pushed all the way out of view when printed.  That's dues to the "GeoPrinter" button making that section too wide.  The GeoPrinter extension prints a summary of a cache, or a whole formatted list of them, so it's unrelated to this Topic except for making the actual problem a little worse.

Untitled-1.jpg

Edited by kunarion
5 minutes ago, ecanderson said:

select No Logs, which may produce the same better result as your selection of some limited number of logs

Yes, that works!  On a cache page, choose Print/No Logs/5/Logs/10 Logs, and a formatted printable page comes up just fine.  I'm not sure that's what I want when printing a cache page, especially if the screen format is important (for example, if it's a tricky puzzle).  Anyway, there are many ways to at least get a complete GC Code, if you resign to do extra steps or use other processes. 

I think the issue is more about -- surprise! -- questionable changes to the way things have always worked, or being told to go look through the Release Notes We Told Everyone That This Changed, and then scratching your head and wondering what the value is to ever, for example, have the GC Code cut in half when you print a page.  Because even if there are entire Release Notes to read about it, some things feel more like a bug than a feature.  These things do get fixed eventually, so it's good to spotlight them.  But yeah.  There are work-arounds.

The GC code is still being cut off. Now I notice that NO logs are printed. Only 3 pages. I want to print what I see on the screen, just as a cacher would see it so I can give it to the property owners for my caches from time to time. Printing of a full cache page works ok on other sites. Situation appears to be only at geocaching.com.

I tried clicking on No Logs, 5 logs, etc but that produced something that is just not presentable to a property owner to get and keep him captivated.

Why would this change be made to cripple the presentation of the cache page?

Am I missing something (new)?

• Upvote 2
On 6/10/2021 at 7:05 PM, Mockingbird559 said:

The GC code is still being cut off. Now I notice that NO logs are printed. Only 3 pages. I want to print what I see on the screen, just as a cacher would see it so I can give it to the property owners for my caches from time to time. Printing of a full cache page works ok on other sites. Situation appears to be only at geocaching.com.

I tried clicking on No Logs, 5 logs, etc but that produced something that is just not presentable to a property owner to get and keep him captivated.

Why would this change be made to cripple the presentation of the cache page?

Am I missing something (new)?

Came here to say just that - printing (from Chrome and Edge, the only browsers I have) still cuts off the GC code, and no longer prints any logs. This is probably due to mucking around with the "print" style sheet. And it is highly annoying as I often cache with paper out where there is no service and often want to refer to previous logs, so I always print the first page or two of logs. I use the "old" view (the new one is fine on a phone or tablet but awful on a PC) so I don't have a "print" button with an option to print logs.

Edited by The Snowdog

As one who still loads caches manually to a GPSr, and uses a notepad for hints n stuff, but might have to print a puzzle, so gave it a try...   :)

Odd, I tried three different caches, hit "no logs" and  "5 logs", and the GC# is still where it should be, intact, on the right. 

Windows 10, Edge.     

- BTW, I used old paper that had printing already on one side, saved for notes/memos (for those who worry about generating landfill waste).  ;)

So there is a work-around in Chrome. You have to do it for every page you want to print, though.

F12  -  brings up Chrome developer tools.

If you don't see "Rendering" on the menu at the bottom, hit the three vertical dots on the top menu, select "More tools" and select Rendering. Now Rendering should appear on the menu bar at the bottom of the pane.

Scroll to "Emulate CSS media type" and select "Screen."

Untitled.png.53b0a40477be90bd41a284d6f0616c10.png

Now you have WYSIWYG printing for the current page.

Edited by The Snowdog