Compass

Looks like some don’t have magnetic sensors, even among particular models.

If you intend to use a Geocaching App and that phone, try Locus Map.  You still won’t have a decent compass display while standing or walking, but I think that App will install anyway.  The basic Locus Map is free, so you can test it.

1 hour ago, deano210356 said:

I have downloaded the app onto my Motorola Moto G phone, but it says this device does not have a compass . I deleted and reinstalled but no joy. This is the first time I have used it so I

am a bit of a newbie

I had no problem with the app for years until after one GC app update my phone suddenly said I had no compass. ☹️

You can find quite a few forum conversations about this.

You can still find caches without a built-in compass.  In my Garmin days, my unit had a compass but I kept it turned off to save battery.  As long as you were moving, it would orient the arrow according to the direction of motion, logical.  Locus Map, as mentioned above, has an option to rotate the map this way.

More important, IMHO, is the quality of the GNSS (GPS+etc) receiver in the phone.  The GPSTest app is great for counting satellites and estimating accuracy.  (I think we need a thread to compare screenshots to aid purchase decisions, but that's another topic, literally.)