Tour of Specific Waymarks

I'd like to organize specific waymarks into a tour for readers of a book. The book would encourage readers to join Waymarking.com and physically visit the tour's waymarks in any sequence. I tried to do it with scavenger hunt, but I don't get to choose the waymarks. Waymarking's scavenger hunts randomly select their waymarks by location within a specific geographic circle. 

My tour would encompass 19 specific, book-related waymarks, mostly within a 25 mile wide circle. The 19 waymarks are in multiple categories. One of them is an uncategorized waymark. I posted 13 of the 19 waymarks myself. 

How can I create such a tour within Waymarking.com?

On 5/3/2021 at 10:53 AM, jwanlesss said:

I'd like to organize specific waymarks into a tour for readers of a book. The book would encourage readers to join Waymarking.com and physically visit the tour's waymarks in any sequence. I tried to do it with scavenger hunt, but I don't get to choose the waymarks. Waymarking's scavenger hunts randomly select their waymarks by location within a specific geographic circle. 

My tour would encompass 19 specific, book-related waymarks, mostly within a 25 mile wide circle. The 19 waymarks are in multiple categories. One of them is an uncategorized waymark. I posted 13 of the 19 waymarks myself. 

Can you not manipulate the scavenger hunt enough to accommodate those waymarks? Why would you want to include an uncategorized waymark? What would that accomplish?

You're the second person this week I've seen working on creating scavenger hunts. 

Edited by Max and 99

I tried to do it with scavenger hunt, but I don't get to choose the waymarks. Waymarking's scavenger hunts randomly select their waymarks by location within a specific geographic circle. 

You can choose your own waymarks if they fall within the parameters. Within reason. It's been a while since I've created a scavenger hunt, and I forgot quite a lot. 

Can you be more specific about which way marks you're trying to include?

Uncategorized waymarks I don't think will ever be included in a scavenger hunt and for good reason. 

The hunt does randomly select way marks but based on the parameters that you set. So you can change the parameters for a better outcome. 

Again, it's been a while but I'm just trying to help you out.

Edited by Max and 99

Join my scavenger hunt in Dietrich and go to your waymarks. Is there an option to add it to the hunt? 

You need to categorize your uncategorized waymark. I could have it categorized and probably approved within an hour. The second one I might need 24 hours. 

I look forward to hearing back from you.

• Helpful 1
23 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

Can you not manipulate the scavenger hunt enough to accommodate those waymarks? Why would you want to include an uncategorized waymark? What would that accomplish?

You're the second person this week I've seen working on creating scavenger hunts. 

The waymark is an existing school. I tried to find a category for it. "Education - Former Schools" was the closest, but the category managers denied it. I'd like to get it in a category.

2 minutes ago, jwanlesss said:

The waymark is an existing school. I tried to find a category for it. "Education - Former Schools" was the closest, but the category managers denied it. I'd like to get it in a category.

I have one favor to ask. PLEASE DO NOT waymark it under news articles for the horrific story that caused an International outcry. Anything else!! A different news story, a bookcrossing zone? Is there any art on the school building?

2 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

I have one favor to ask. PLEASE DO NOT waymark it under news articles for the horrific story that caused an International outcry. Anything else!! A different news story, a bookcrossing zone? Is there any art on the school building?

I agree. The book is a young adult adventure in the volcanic desert of Lincoln County, Idaho. It takes place in 1989, long before the incident you mention. The lava-tube, cave-exploring, science project in the book involves students from that school back then. No, sadly there's no art on the school building. I saw that category, but couldn't make it work.

Just now, jwanlesss said:

I agree. The book is a young adult adventure in the volcanic desert of Lincoln County, Idaho. It takes place in 1989, long before the incident you mention. The lava-tube, cave-exploring, science project in the book involves students from that school back then. No, sadly there's no art on the school building. I saw that category, but couldn't make it work.

Well bookcrossing is a sure thing, if you can't think of anything else! I'll help you register the book: you just have to write the number inside it, drop it off, then create the waymark. Super easy! 

23 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

Join my scavenger hunt in Dietrich and go to your waymarks. Is there an option to add it to the hunt? 

You need to categorize your uncategorized waymark. I could have it categorized and probably approved within an hour. The second one I might need 24 hours. 

I look forward to hearing back from you.

When I joined the Dietrich scavenger hunt you created, I only saw "Wildcards" instead of waymarks.

When I joined the Dietrich scavenger hunt you created, I only saw "Wildcards" instead of waymarks.

Correct. It's been a while since I worked on scavenger hunts so I was figuring things out. When you go to one of your waymarks, see if it gives you an option to add it to the hunt. 

10 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

That previous idea will work for you but it won't work for a group of people wanting to find the same scavenger hunt. I have another idea that I'll try when I get home.

You hit on a key need, "a group of people wanting to find the same scavenger hunt."

4 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

Correct. It's been a while since I worked on scavenger hunts so I was figuring things out. When you go to one of your waymarks, see if it gives you an option to add it to the hunt. 

Many times when my hunt generated wild cards it allowed me to choose my waymark to add to it.

8 minutes ago, jwanlesss said:

You hit on a key need, "a group of people wanting to find the same scavenger hunt."

I've gotten a lot closer since I posted that note! It is my opinion that once you narrow your categories to just the ones you want included, exclude the waymarks you visited which means other people's, you'll be very close to having exactly what you want. Then anybody can join it once you've narrowed down the hunt to exactly what you want. 

It'll involve some tedious work, and it may not be worth the trouble to you, I was just letting you know that I think that will work. 

The reason I can't go any farther is because the only way to exclude other people's waymarks would be to visit them which I cannot do. 

You can see from my screenshot that I included many of your waymarks, but I was not able to exclude waymarks of other people.

But I'm thrilled that I made progress. 😁

Edited by Max and 99
6 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

I've created and deleted a couple of scavenger hunts, but only got the random waymark selections. When I chose to make the radius very small, I got many, but not all the waymarks I need for the "waymark tour" I hope to create.

1 minute ago, jwanlesss said:

I've created and deleted a couple of scavenger hunts, but only got the random waymark selections. When I chose to make the radius very small, I got many, but not all the waymarks I need for the "waymark tour" I hope to create.

It's random but based on the criteria that YOU determine. I added all categories except for the ones you needed, to my ignore list. I chose a random GC code in the area, but you can strategize with something more in the center of the area you want. 

A second warning: it's tedious!

Screenshot_20210506-223238.png

9 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

Many times when my hunt generated wild cards it allowed me to choose my waymark to add to it.

I saw something about wild cards and choosing waymarks to replace them in the forum somewhere, but when I tried it, I couldn't find any option to choose the waymark I wanted to replace the wild card.

11 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

I've gotten a lot closer since I posted that note! It is my opinion that once you narrow your categories to just the ones you want included, exclude the waymarks you visited which means other people's, you'll be very close to having exactly what you want. Then anybody can join it once you've narrowed down the hunt to exactly what you want. 

It'll involve some tedious work, and it may not be worth the trouble to you, I was just letting you know that I think that will work. 

The reason I can't go any farther is because the only way to exclude other people's waymarks would be to visit them which I cannot do. 

But I'm thrilled that I made progress. 😁

Hmmm... If "the only way to exclude other people's waymarks would be to visit them," that makes inclusion of certain waymarks, like the Idaho State Capitol Building, difficult. I couldn't visit every state capitol to exclude all of them, except Idaho's. 

1 minute ago, jwanlesss said:

Hmmm... If "the only way to exclude other people's waymarks would be to visit them," that makes inclusion of certain waymarks, like the Idaho State Capitol Building, difficult. I couldn't visit every state capitol to exclude all of them, except Idaho's. 

Sorry, I'm not following. 

For the hunt that you want to create, as in my screenshot above, if you only want your waymarks to show up, in the only way I know of is to visit the other way marks in the area and then you can exclude them with the checkbox. So for example if you want to include natural cave entrances, yours and anyone else's way marks in the area may be included in the scavenger hunt. But to make sure the other people's waymarks for natural cave entrances are excluded you can visit the waymark, and click the checkbox to exclude waymarks you have visited.

If you are referring to categories, you can add it to your ignore list and it will not be included in the scavenger hunt. Just FYI if I remember correctly although it doesn't relate to your hunt, once the scavenger hunt is generated you can remove categories from your ignore list and they will be accepted as a wild card. If I remember correctly. 

7 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

This is an example of what it will look like, if it meets the criteria. 

IMG_20210507_001014.png

Hmmm...This looks like the situation when the scavenger hunter needs to substitute a real waymark for a wildcard in the hunt he is doing, NOT for the creator of the scavenger hunt.

2 minutes ago, jwanlesss said:

Hmmm...This looks like the situation when the scavenger hunter needs to substitute a real waymark for a wildcard in the hunt he is doing, NOT for the creator of the scavenger hunt.

Yes that's exactly why I said it wouldn't work for your situation where everyone needs to find the same waymarks. It would work for you but not the people you want to follow along in the book.

But to create one for everyone to find, you can limit the categories you want to be included in the hunt, and exclude other waymarks by visiting them. This should generate something really close to what you want! And remember you can generate over and over and over again until you activate the hunt. But you do have a lot of control when you limit the categories the hunt can select from. 

5 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

Sorry, I'm not following. 

For the hunt that you want to create, as in my screenshot above, if you only want your waymarks to show up, in the only way I know of is to visit the other way marks in the area and then you can exclude them with the checkbox. So for example if you want to include natural cave entrances, yours and anyone else's way marks in the area may be included in the scavenger hunt. But to make sure the other people's waymarks for natural cave entrances are excluded you can visit the waymark, and click the checkbox to exclude waymarks you have visited.

If you are referring to categories, you can add it to your ignore list and it will not be included in the scavenger hunt. Just FYI if I remember correctly although it doesn't relate to your hunt, once the scavenger hunt is generated you can remove categories from your ignore list and they will be accepted as a wild card. If I remember correctly. 

Six of the waymarks that I need to include in the "waymark tour" are other people's waymarks (like the Idaho State Capitol). So I need a way to choose each of them for the tour, in addition to the waymarks I created.

5 minutes ago, jwanlesss said:

Six of the waymarks that I need to include in the "waymark tour" are other people's waymarks (like the Idaho State Capitol). So I need a way to choose each of them for the tour, in addition to the waymarks I created.

15 and 20 are the closest options count wise. Make sure to include that Capitol category then, when generating the hunt. When you do a test run the same similar waymarks are likely to show up, so any that you don't want to show up you can visit and exclude.  

The only way to exclude waymarks from showing up in your scavenger hunt (that I can think of)  is to not include the category, or visit that waymark. 

If only the creation of a scavenger hunt had the simple option to select specific waymarks directly! Maybe Waymarking.com could have a variant of scavenger hunting called "Waymark Tour." Use all the same code that scavenger hunt uses, except let the creator of the "tour" select the specific waymarks needed for the tour. Not only would this option benefit me, but other book authors might see how real they can make their books become by including waymark tours for their readers to actually visit the places mentioned in the book. Self-guided tour creators would have a new tool available to them. Users of Waymarking.com would increase!

https://www.Waymarking.com/cat/details.aspx?f=1&guid=ef82aed8-804c-42b9-b37e-3c9620d24388&exp=True

Recent comments by officers, though, have me confused about what exactly they want for this category. I don't understand the comment here:

"You must post a set of starting coordinates and a picture taken at at least one of the stops. Also, you must include coordinates or explicit directions to the rest of the stops on the tour. Remember, the people taking your tour don't know the area as well as you do!" _ Rules, instructions you MUST post explict instructions to each stop, and this must be a tour, not a collection of your local places...a specific tour. READ the instructions and follow them...you seem to think you do not have to."

Another:

"..the stop and descriptions have to be ann actual tour. N E tour, not a collections of other waymarks"

Edited by Max and 99
12 minutes ago, jwanlesss said:

If only the creation of a scavenger hunt had the simple option to select specific waymarks directly! Maybe Waymarking.com could have a variant of scavenger hunting called "Waymark Tour." Use all the same code that scavenger hunt uses, except let the creator of the "tour" select the specific waymarks needed for the tour. Not only would this option benefit me, but other book authors might see how real they can make their books become by including waymark tours for their readers to actually visit the places mentioned in the book. Self-guided tour creators would have a new tool available to them. Users of Waymarking.com would increase!

I understand! I think that's just not the intent of scavenger hunts. They want it to me more like a random assortment of waymarks for you to visit. 

Did you know there's a category for real life places mentioned in books of fiction? 

On 5/6/2021 at 10:06 PM, Max and 99 said:

I think if you limit your categories to this (see pic), visit the waymarks you don't want to include (check that box), you'll be off to a really good start. 

Screenshot_20210506-223238.png

How do I limit categories? How make a "Category Master List?" I can't figure out how to make an "Ignore List" even though I upgraded to Premium Membership

How do I limit categories? How make a "Category Master List?" I can't figure out how to make an "Ignore List" even though I upgraded to Premium Membership

You can put an entire department on your ignore list or a specific category. Click on a department or category and you'll see a thumbs down at the top right corner. This will add it to your ignore list. The ignore list is one of the options on the right hand side when you are logged in.

I'm warning you for the third time it's a very tedious process! 😁 It may not be worth the trouble.

6 minutes ago, vulture1957 said:

As Keith has said --- the answer is Way Tours. It'll make exactly what is requested.

On 5/7/2021 at 12:50 AM, Max and 99 said:

https://www.Waymarking.com/cat/details.aspx?f=1&guid=ef82aed8-804c-42b9-b37e-3c9620d24388&exp=True

Recent comments by officers, though, have me confused about what exactly they want for this category. I don't understand the comment here:

"You must post a set of starting coordinates and a picture taken at at least one of the stops. Also, you must include coordinates or explicit directions to the rest of the stops on the tour. Remember, the people taking your tour don't know the area as well as you do!" _ Rules, instructions you MUST post explict instructions to each stop, and this must be a tour, not a collection of your local places...a specific tour. READ the instructions and follow them...you seem to think you do not have to."

Another:

"..the stop and descriptions have to be ann actual tour. N E tour, not a collections of other waymarks"

I don't know how to reconcile these.

On 5/7/2021 at 12:50 AM, Max and 99 said:

Another:

I don't know what the proposed way tour was, but it sounds like the reviewer could not see why it was a tour, rather than just 5 or 6 waymarks from the person's list.

My way tours have a definite subject -- Sports or Brew Pubs. Keith's mega-tour has a specific subject. I'm thinking of doing one for museums, a second Brew Pubs, I could do a second Sports. For you I'd suggest Smithsonian Sculptures.

And "Places mentioned in Lincoln County Idaho 1989 book" should be specific enough to be considered a tour.

2 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

Hard pass. 

I agree waytours sounds like the perfect category for his book. I wish him luck.

Just to be clear - waytours need to be limited in the number of waymarks used and in area.  The description of the category states around five waymarks and the area of a town.  You only have 15,000 characters in the long description to describe and to explain each waypoint of your waytour, and I know from experience in doing waytours, that to do a proper writeup for just six waymarks takes almost the entire 15,000 characters.  I know in the past that waytours have been denied when the area encompassed has been too large.
I'm happy that the Original Poster was able to get a Scavenger Hunt to meet the needs presented!

On 5/17/2021 at 1:59 PM, jwanlesss said:

With your help, I finally was able to create the scavenger hunt I wanted for my book. See

https://www.Waymarking.com/hunt/details.aspx?guid=b29a6b45-703e-48f2-b2bd-7157b1591080

Thanks so much for your attentive help. You are the Greatest!

I think you did an outstanding job incorporating Waymarking into the book's footnotes. I really hope I have an opportunity to visit the area, see all the places mentioned in the book, and complete the scavenger hunt you created for these wonderful places. I'm really impressed with the documentation and how you weaved together real life places with the story. This was an enjoyable read based on real life locations.